Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was never out right bullied at school.

Okay so I came out as trans the summer between college and university. During my school life I was labelled a 'tom-boy' and used to get comments about being a lesbian etc. At one school, in Year 11, a new student had arrived who was openly a lesbian and a few comments were made to me about that.

In Year 12, at college, I realised with the help of friends that I identified as bisexual. I wasn't majorly open about it but friends and boyfriend at the time was aware. Girl friends never changed and would happily play flirt with me, boyfriend was just insecure at most about it :P

There was an openly gay guy at college as well who I'm pretty sure never received any hate. He was pretty popular as well so that may have helped.

University has been amazing with my transition though. Personal tutor was keen to get everything changed to the correct name and gender and made sure I was aware that any negative behaviour would be properly dealt with.

From what I've heard from younger siblings people are being more cool with it at school. My sister at college is friends with a few lgbt students and says nothing bad has happened to them, which is encouraging

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by We'reAllMadHere)
    I've been confused about my identity and my sexuality for many years.

I've always wanted to be male, even from an early age, and I'd often catch myself admiring my female classmates, especially throughout secondary school. It wasn't a "I could have sex with you" sort of thing; it was more of a "I could hold you and kiss you, and buy you presents" thing.
    It was never anything dirty; I tend to lean towards the emotional side of love rather than the physical side, and the notion of sex isn't one I'm keen on. I currently have a bit of an unrequited crush on someone and I often fantasise about being with her; she's an angel.

I used to believe I was asexual but, after doing a bit of research, I realised I had no idea what I was. There are so many different sexualities; I still don't know which category I fall into.
    What do you call a girl who wants to be guy, who wants asexual romance with a girl? It's very confusing.

My secondary school teachers were completely oblivious to this, as are my college teachers and my family.They all assume I'm 100% straight and 100% female. They ask me questions like:
    "Do you have a boyfriend yet?"
    "Why do you want to wear a tuxedo?"
    "Why do you want to take up weight-lifting?"
    "Do you want people to think you're gay?"

It can be very frustrating sometimes. Only my best friend knows the truth and I know she'd never let my secret slip.

All in all, my education has been fairly ordinary so far, partly because I'm a social pariah and partly because I haven't revealed anything. I don't even know what I'd be revealing. I'm just hoping that the pieces will slot into place eventually.
    A group of boys used to bully me relentlessly - so my confidence could use a bit of work - but they never did it because of my sexuality. They did because they thought I was ugly.
    I've seen that someone else has responded to you about this but I thought I'd give my two cents about it as well :P

When I was figuring out my gender identity I did my best to question whether it could be something else. Going through a transition like that is big for everyone involved, but nothing else fit for me. It wasn't a case of being a 'butch woman' or confusing the fact that I can wear and like 'male' things, it was defiantly body wise, which I think is the most important issue of separating being transgender from everything else.

Most people in the trans* community tend to use transgender rather than transsexual, personally to differentiate the fact that it is not sexuality based. Of course that's completely up to you which word you use as both mean the same thing.

With sexuality, I honestly have no idea myself. I've considered asexuality as well cause I'm not as interested as my peers are, but I don't think it works for me. It's to the point that I don't care where I am on the sexual vs romantic scale, and flip between bisexual, pansexual, homoflexible and gay :P

Going back to the gender identity, if you decide that transitioning is for you, whether socially, medically or both, then feel free to message me. I've gone medically (as well as socially) with the NHS and am now 3 months on Testosterone!!! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transtorm;[url="tel:60561019")
    60561019[/url]]I've seen that someone else has responded to you about this but I thought I'd give my two cents about it as well :P

When I was figuring out my gender identity I did my best to question whether it could be something else. Going through a transition like that is big for everyone involved, but nothing else fit for me. It wasn't a case of being a 'butch woman' or confusing the fact that I can wear and like 'male' things, it was defiantly body wise, which I think is the most important issue of separating being transgender from everything else.

Most people in the trans* community tend to use transgender rather than transsexual, personally to differentiate the fact that it is not sexuality based. Of course that's completely up to you which word you use as both mean the same thing.

With sexuality, I honestly have no idea myself. I've considered asexuality as well cause I'm not as interested as my peers are, but I don't think it works for me. It's to the point that I don't care where I am on the sexual vs romantic scale, and flip between bisexual, pansexual, homoflexible and gay :P

Going back to the gender identity, if you decide that transitioning is for you, whether socially, medically or both, then feel free to message me. I've gone medically (as well as socially) with the NHS and am now 3 months on Testosterone!!! :P
    Before I say anything, I love your profile picture! Whovians unite!

It's nice to meet someone who's experienced the same confusion I have.

Does this mean there's no real difference between being transsexual and transgender? Or is transsexual for after you go through the procedures? I know it's a very big step to take and I'm still not entirely sure about it; my family has no idea what I'm going through (I get the feeling that my mother is tad suspicious though; you should've seen her face when I told her I wanted to grow a mohawk/mohican ).
    At one point I thought I could be genderfluid? I don't think I'd describe myself as butch; I still like a few feminine things.
    I do prefer male clothing (I have a fascination with gears at the moment) and I often fantasise about being a guy, having a girlfriend, looking after her, and just being male all-round etc. I've never had those thoughts about men though; they're more like brothers to me, but I don't have a very dominate personality...

I've heard of bisexual and pansexual, but what does homoflexible mean? Is that the same thing as being curious? And I'm so happy that you've decided to transition! I hope it's going well so far! Are you starting to notice a difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by We'reAllMadHere)
    Before I say anything, I love your profile picture! Whovians unite!

It's nice to meet someone who's experienced the same confusion I have.

Does this mean there's no real difference between being transsexual and transgender? Or is transsexual for after you go through the procedures? I know it's a very big step to take and I'm still not entirely sure about it; my family has no idea what I'm going through (I get the feeling that my mother is tad suspicious though; you should've seen her face when I told her I wanted to grow a mohawk/mohican ).
    At one point I thought I could be genderfluid? I don't think I'd describe myself as butch; I still like a few feminine things.
    I do prefer male clothing (I have a fascination with gears at the moment) and I often fantasise about being a guy, having a girlfriend, looking after her, and just being male all-round etc. I've never had those thoughts about men though; they're more like brothers to me, but I don't have a very dominate personality...

I've heard of bisexual and pansexual, but what does homoflexible mean? Is that the same thing as being curious? And I'm so happy that you've decided to transition! I hope it's going well so far? Are you starting to notice a difference?

Some people say there is. That a transsexual is someone who's 'fully' transitioned (there's no general thing as 'fully' transitioning, it's up to the individual), but mostly I've heard it used interchangeably with transgender so it's one of those words where it's more up to the individual than anything.

It took me a year to come to terms and be absolutely certain it was what I wanted to do before I told my parents. I remember when I went to get my hair cut much shorter and my mum making comments about it not being feminine enough, but my parents are completely cool with the whole thing.

I would never say I'm strongly masculine but I'm not feminine as such, pretty neutral really. There are some moments when I'm 'typically' masculine and other times when I do something feminine. It's possible to be trans male and be feminine, just like cis males can be. You don't need to have a dominate personality either. Cis males can come in all variations so trans men can as well :P

You sound pretty similar to what I was going through except replace girlfriend with boyfriend :P

Homoflexible is where you mainly attracted to the same gender but are open to 'opposite' gender attractions. I basically refer it to the gay-ish sexuality :P Technically it's on the bi/pan spectrum but specifically says that I'm more attracted to guys :P I actually came across it on a dating website, which surprised me :P

Thanks! It's been pretty amazing. Been living as male for just over 2 years now and have made some amazing friends through going to support groups etc.

I noticed my voice in like 3/4 weeks. It sounded like I had a cold and my family were pretty surprised when I came home for a weekend :P That's really only the major change at the moment. Facial hair and stuff doesn't really happen till much later (like 1-5 years it can take :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danz123)
    You sound rather defensive of the homophobes on this site... :/

Anyway, care to give me proof that the homophobes are 'always' assumed to be gay? We all know not every homophobe is gay, but studies show that in MANY cases people who hate homosexuals (like the guy in this thread) are just closeted. They cope with the hatred they have for themselves by projecting it onto others. I wouldn't be surprised if they were also jealous of the fact that openly gay people had the courage to come out, and are better off because of it. Such people want every gay person to be as miserable as they are.
    Fair enough, I haven't done my research. I assume it'd mainly apply to men though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    U know he is stroking his **** to this scenario rn
    It's only gay is he touched his balls...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezme39)
    I attended a fairly average school and one of my best friends was gay. He even led everyone to believe that he was in a relationship with me, just so that he could avoid being asked about his sexuality. Strangely enough though, I don't think anyone from my school would have bullied him or judged him for it, it was just his own worries/ concerns that stopped him from being himself
    Curious, did you mind, and/or did you allow him too?
    (Just genuinely curious.)

(Original post by Attics)
    lesbian too.
    and I used to wear the hijab for a while but I kinda dropped it.
    Person's probably been banned, so I can't say this to him/her, so I'll tell someone else.

There's actually been quite a lot of gay Muslims on this site, in all the time I've been on here.

(Original post by Daftpunker)
    I quite agree. As the author of this thread all I can do is apologize to those upset/offended - I had no idea this would descend into such unkindness.
    Don't. (Apologise that is.)
    It is not your fault, so don't place the blame on yourself. It never was. No one who is offended (though I ain't one of them) would blame you anyway, as it clearly wasn't done with those intentions in mind, or you wouldn't have expected it, I don't think.
    There are a few on this site who would always digress a thread like this if they had the chance anyway. Then, if banned, they'd create an alt account anyway on top of that (most of the time.)

ReputationRep:
    I came home crying to my mum in Year 7, when these two Year 11 girls asked me if I liked girls and I assumed they meant in a friendly way but I saw them look at each other in a way that made me feel it was a bad thing so I got upset. I don't think I actually thought being gay was bad but maybe the idea of kissing etc that got me freaked out lol! I know better now ^_^ Tumblr helped hah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.