The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone study English Lit? I'm really behind on my dissertation and I'm struggling to pin down a plan/angle. I'm really interested in historial fiction, particularly Holocaust literature and have selected The Book Thief, Boy in the Striped Pajamas and The Reader. I've been thinking of looking at the mother figures within these novels or second generation guilt...has anyone else read these novels and can think of an angle/argument? My brain is fried right now so sorry if what I'm asking seems dumb. I just can't seem to think straight right now!
Hi everyone, currently in need of inspiration and guidance. I'm in second year of my accounting and finance course and I need to submit my research proposal for next year and I want to do it on the Insurance market or even more specifically the London insurance market and how it's being threatened by other countries and hedge funds. Inspiration was taken from this article http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21632642-londons-position-world-leader-insurance-under-threat-risky-business

I am struggling to come up with a succinct title at the moment, is there anybody who can help me or direct me elsewhere if this may not be a viable option to do my dissertation on. Thanks

Ade.
word count update 1627/6000 words with my results and methods written up, drafted at least and my deadline is about a month away :redface:

I still have to research for my discussion but I know what I need to research for the 8 sections and 6 (build on from the background for my research proposal) for my introduction. Then its my abstract, acknowledgements and reflective statement left to do.

Yet I'm worried I won't be anywhere near the word count :frown:
Original post by posthumus
I am okay with bullsh***ing thousands of words, but I have to develop a web application to accompany my paper, that I am worried about :frown:

Good luck with yours anyway :smile:

I've had to develop a creative solution as part of the dissertation (Independent Study), but luckily did this in the first semester so just writing up now! :woo:
Hi, everyone

I submitted my law dissertation today it was alright overall I think - the first and second chapters were really well written and analytical. The third was ok too, maybe a bit descriptive (I had to rewrite most of it in two days). The main issue with the third chapter is that I didn't complete the last sentence of the final paragraph and didn't realise until after the deadline

If the referencing, grammar etc are all high standard, will this be taken into account or have I messed up my chances of getting a 2.1?
Original post by Undergrad1993
Hi, everyone

I submitted my law dissertation today it was alright overall I think - the first and second chapters were really well written and analytical. The third was ok too, maybe a bit descriptive (I had to rewrite most of it in two days). The main issue with the third chapter is that I didn't complete the last sentence of the final paragraph and didn't realise until after the deadline

If the referencing, grammar etc are all high standard, will this be taken into account or have I messed up my chances of getting a 2.1?

No-one can really guess at the mark you'll receive on the sole basis of a very general description of your dissertation.

It certainly won't leave a great impression in the end, but you're talking about quite an insignificant part of the work in relation to all the content, reasoning, formatting, spelling, grammar, and referencing, etc, you mentioned. Something like this will not bar you from achieving a decent mark in itself.

You shouldn't lose sleep over it either way. It's done. Forget about it. Trying to second guess the mark you might receive will not change anything or help in any way.
Reply 106
Good Afternoon,I am a student at the University of Southampton. I writing to invite you to participate in a study regarding the employee experiences of undergraduate students working in quick service restaurants.

The study will involve a short semi structured interview and should last approximately 45 minutes. The study will begin in a few weeks time once all the relevant study applications and proposals have been agreed to.

If you are currently an undergraduate student working in the a quick service restaurant and interested in participating in the study, please feel free to contact me.
How is everyone keeping their motivation to right their dissertation? Every time I go to sit down to write or even make a plan I get distracted and not focusing so I end up doing nothing all day :frown:
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
How is everyone keeping their motivation to right their dissertation? Every time I go to sit down to write or even make a plan I get distracted and not focusing so I end up doing nothing all day :frown:

I get bursts of motivation :redface: yesterday I got really distracted and ended up planning another piece of coursework which I've been putting off, whereas today I've planned and researched about 5 pages for my introduction.
Currently, my motivation is knowing I have to hand in a draft in 2 weeks and my viva is also in that time! my uni is really bad with timings for it considering we finished in the lab only 2 weeks ago which is when we started writing up and its due in in a month :frown:
Also remember it's the final push before graduation :woo:
Original post by UWS
I'm in the process of writing a dissertation for Computer Science.

One big question I have is proofreading. Is it worth investing money by using a professional service to proofread my work? Also, does this count as cheating?

i don't think it's cheating, but i wouldn't do it anyhow. Did you use spreadsheets?
Hi, everyone

I'm not sure. I never heard of a dissertation with only three chapters however? Mine had at least nine?
Original post by john2054
I'm not sure. I never heard of a dissertation with only three chapters however? Mine had at least nine?

The other poster might have used sub-headings more extensively than you.
Original post by Pocahontas Thug
The other poster might have used sub-headings more extensively than you.

i guess so.
Original post by lilGem
I get bursts of motivation :redface: yesterday I got really distracted and ended up planning another piece of coursework which I've been putting off, whereas today I've planned and researched about 5 pages for my introduction.
Currently, my motivation is knowing I have to hand in a draft in 2 weeks and my viva is also in that time! my uni is really bad with timings for it considering we finished in the lab only 2 weeks ago which is when we started writing up and its due in in a month :frown:
Also remember it's the final push before graduation :woo:

My deadline is in may but I have to make a presentation on it for next month :frown: I really should have done more but I got so side tracked with exam revision for my exam last week so I kept thinking I'll finish it in easter and now a week has gone and I've barely done any :angry:

I've decided to try and plan out my day. I've written everything I want to do including non-dissertation related things and I'm hoping achieving the targets and seeing them ticked off motivates me :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
My deadline is in may but I have to make a presentation on it for next month :frown: I really should have done more but I got so side tracked with exam revision for my exam last week so I kept thinking I'll finish it in easter and now a week has gone and I've barely done any :angry:

I've decided to try and plan out my day. I've written everything I want to do including non-dissertation related things and I'm hoping achieving the targets and seeing them ticked off motivates me :tongue:

:hugs:

We'll get through it!

I've been told I have to hand in my draft the first week back, same week as my viva and my essay deadline so I'm panicking a bit and sending drafts of each section over to the post grad I was working with whilst I was in the lab!
Unfortunately, due to the layout of the dissertation/ research project a lot of people have neglected revision- I still have to prepare my viva presentation :cry2:

Make sure you find targets for it each day like plan to do x amount of this section of x amount of words so it doesn't seem so daunting? then reward yourself after :yep:

That sounds like a good plan!

I was planning to not work today as I went to sleep last night with a migraine and barely slept, ended up finding a wonderful review and came across a really cool concept :lol: 7 pages of notes later... I feel like I should stop
Original post by lilGem
:hugs:

We'll get through it!

I've been told I have to hand in my draft the first week back, same week as my viva and my essay deadline so I'm panicking a bit and sending drafts of each section over to the post grad I was working with whilst I was in the lab!
Unfortunately, due to the layout of the dissertation/ research project a lot of people have neglected revision- I still have to prepare my viva presentation :cry2:

Make sure you find targets for it each day like plan to do x amount of this section of x amount of words so it doesn't seem so daunting? then reward yourself after :yep:

That sounds like a good plan!

I was planning to not work today as I went to sleep last night with a migraine and barely slept, ended up finding a wonderful review and came across a really cool concept :lol: 7 pages of notes later... I feel like I should stop

Oh wow that sounds hard! We don't have to hand in drafts as far as I know, its just optional to get your project supervisor to check it and he was saying to get it done by the end of easter so I'm aiming for that!
I've been making my plan in terms of sections rather than words so I don't get really stressed if I haven't written enough :lol: My reward is online shopping :biggrin: haha
I love those bursts of motivation! They make you so productive :lol:
Original post by john2054

Uhm, it had an introduction, three main chapters each with between three and five sub-headings and a conclusion. It was 10,000 words. I thought that was normal? :s-smilie:
Uhm, it had an introduction, three main chapters each with between three and five sub-headings and a conclusion. It was 10,000 words. I thought that was normal? :s-smilie:

mine was structured rather differently to yours. But as long as your supervisor and you were happy about it, that's the main thing.

I'm trying to erase all memory of my dissertation from my mind now that it is finished. Let me know how you get on however?

thanks john
Hey guys.

I'm a politics student and I am struggling with my dissertation!

I know my topic and vaguely my question but I'm not sure the direction I wanna take and my supervisor isn't being too helpful

I need a high 2:1 minimum (68) and it's due May 3rd and I haven't even started.

Any advice?
How did you guys get going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wow that sounds hard! We don't have to hand in drafts as far as I know, its just optional to get your project supervisor to check it and he was saying to get it done by the end of easter so I'm aiming for that!
I've been making my plan in terms of sections rather than words so I don't get really stressed if I haven't written enough :lol: My reward is online shopping :biggrin: haha
I love those bursts of motivation! They make you so productive :lol:

my supervisor wants a draft of my whole dissertation in 2 weeks time, but I want it to be a good draft hence the drafts of sections to the Mres student I've been working with :lol:

They really are :h:

What degree/ dissertation are you doing if you don't mind me asking? :h:

Latest