Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    So that unsubstantiated assertion means that all Romani must be bad because some are pickpockets, does it? That's like saying that all Irish people are violent because the vast majority of members of the IRA were Irish.
    No, because a large proportion of the Romani Gypsy community are involved in illegal activities. That's a fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wellzi)
    No, because a large proportion of the Romani Gypsy community are involved in illegal activities. That's a fact.
    And where is this 'fact' coming from? Because I can tell you anecdotally that here in Cranbrook we have a relatively large travelling/Gypsy community, and the vast majority of crime, petty and otherwise, is committed by white English hooligans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    source?
    I have to look up the source tomorrow, but for now, have a nice slice of DAILY MAIL
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...p-iceberg.html

ReputationRep:
    And where is this 'fact' coming from? Because I can tell you anecdotally that here in Cranbrook we have a relatively large travelling/Gypsy community, and the vast majority of crime, petty and otherwise, is committed by white English hooligans.
    I can just as easily use the anecdote that I saw some Romani steal a washing machine from my backyard s few years ago. So as you can see, anecdotes are useless.

ReputationRep:
    I can just as easily use the anecdote that I saw some Romani steal a washing machine from my backyard s few years ago. So as you can see, anecdotes are useless.
    Why on earth do you have a washing machine in your back yard?

ReputationRep:
    I have to look up the source tomorrow, but for now, have a nice slice of DAILY MAIL
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...p-iceberg.html
    You are aware that Romani and Romanian don't mean the same thing, aren't you?

Your anecdote is based on one event, therefore it's useless. Mine is based on a general observation of a series of events over several years, and of the fact that the Romani are well-integrated and well-accepted in the community, which I suspect wouldn't be the case if a lot of them were criminals, so while not as useful as fact, it's not useless.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I once got beaten senseless by a group of englishmen, do you see me tarring them all with the same brush? Anecdotes are useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    I once got beaten senseless by a group of englishmen, do you see me tarring them all with the same brush? Anecdotes are useless.
    Thank you for agreeing.
    You are aware that Romani and Romanian don't mean the same thing, aren't you?
    Yeah I buggered up and misread the article, sleepy time I thinks. Apologies

ReputationRep:
    I have only ever met one Romanian. She cleaned my flat in Oxford. She even worked on Saturdays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    I have only ever met one Romanian. She cleaned my flat in Oxford. She even worked on Saturdays.
    i once met some Romanians trying to sell lucky charms, i didn't buy one and my car mysteriously vanished the next day.... bad luck
    thankfully i had overestimated the insurance by about 3 times

another time they 'collected' a washing machine i had left out to be collected by a retailer, before the retailer arrived.(kinda awkward when the van arrived)

then there was the time they tided my backyard which had some metal items in it, they actually asked me first that time and were very helpful.

so not all bad.

(this is the same group of people btw)

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker, with news of another hostage situation in France unfolding as we speak, will the government now accept that those who lack the resolve to crush our enemies must now be expelled from the cabinet and that we must immediately declare war and bring the full might of our military down on Syria.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Mr Speaker, with news of another hostage situation in France unfolding as we speak, will the government now accept that those who lack the resolve to crush our enemies must now be expelled from the cabinet and that we must immediately declare war and bring the full might of our military down on Syria.
    There is an ongoing debate within the cabinet as to what the best way to deal with this is. There will most certainly be a statement or report released by the TSR MoD in the foreseeable future. Though, no further comments will be made at this moment.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    This Government will not act as rashly as you suggest. We will wait to learn more about the current situation in France and discuss our course of action.

ReputationRep:
    "On Syria"? That's more than a bit vague given the large number of conflicting sides involved here.

ReputationRep:
    Your Highness, will you congratulate Academy Awards winner, global superstar Ms Adele Adkins MBE for breaking the British, American, Australian, Canadian, French, Austrian, Swiss, German, New Zealand (and counting), and the global first-week records with the best-selling album of the year, 25?

In the album, she promoted the English scenic beauty, River Lea. Previously, she promoted the British slang 'roll deep', the British film franchise James Bond, and the British cockney accent.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Your Highness, will you congratulate Academy Awards winner, global superstar Ms Adele Adkins MBE for breaking the British, American, Australian, Canadian, French, Austrian, Swiss, German, New Zealand (and counting), and the global first-week records with the best-selling album of the year, 25?

In the album, she promoted the English scenic beauty, River Lea. Previously, she promoted the British slang 'roll deep', the British film franchise James Bond, and the British cockney accent.
    Soon I'm going to try to ban Adele

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Didn't ask you.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    UKIP might have her next on their list of things to ban, you should check with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    UKIP might have her next on their list of things to ban, you should check with them
    She's British, uses the British accent exclusively, went to Brit School, won Brit Awards, broke Brit(ney Spears)'s record in the US tho. Are they not putting Britain first any more?

Deport Kylie Minogue I say.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    She's British, uses the British accent exclusively, went to Brit School, won Brit Awards, broke Brit(ney Spears)'s record in the US tho. Are they not putting Britain first any more?

Deport Kylie Minogue I say.
    Well there's adele, and then there's pubs. Pubs are undeniably more british than Adele, yet a certain UKIP member put forward some legislation that would effectively put a foundation of british culture out of business entirely. So on that basis, I wouldn't put banning Adele beyond the Kippers.

That being said, right now, we shouldn't be deporting anyone.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.