Turn on thread page Beta

Outrage Over Martin Luther King Being Portrayed By A White Man watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Underscore__)
    If a black actor played Hitler it would be black people who'd complain. He's hardly someone white people are determined to cling on to

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Although your point is valid, it still stands that there'll be some White people who'd complain. For example, there are many White supremacists, who without any doubt advocate and espouse the same beliefs of Hitler. To see anyone but a White Anglo-Saxon portray the role of Hitler, would be outrageous - according to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoniC255)
    Although your point is valid, it still stands that there'll be some White people who'd complain. For example, there are many White supremacists, who without any doubt advocate and espouse the same beliefs of Hitler. To see anyone but a White Anglo-Saxon portray the role of Hitler, would be outrageous - according to them.
    But that would be the same with supremacists of any race

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Underscore__;60634987]But that would be the same with supremacists of any race

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE
    Yeah, I never disputed that. We're talking within the context of angry Black and White people. And, with respect to what I quoted, Angry White people and White supremacists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremy1988)
    Why shouldn't a black actor be able to play Abraham Lincoln or Ulysses S. Grant? I think it would be better if whites and blacks were considered interchangeable in all respects.

I don't get why some white people get upset with black actors playing certain roles, or the opposite. I mean, who is going to play him in a few centuries when there are no white or black people?
    Because it would be historically inaccurate and these were real people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew12)
    Because it would be historically inaccurate and these were real people
    Most historic films are inaccurate. They are dramatised to make them more interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Most historic films are inaccurate. They are dramatised to make them more interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Does not matter if you are portraying real historical characters get their ethnicity/race right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew12)
    Does not matter if you are portraying real historical characters get their ethnicity/race right
    Why? Shouldn't we judge people on their character and not the colour of their skin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evening)
    Source: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...tor-university

It's funny that whenever the libtards complain and campaign to have white characters changed to match their agenda, they justify their actions in the name of equality. Yet, here we have a perfect example of what MLK truly intended:

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

Okay, maybe for the sake of the play they should have cast a black person, but the people complaining about this have truly shot themselves in the foot this time. These are the same type of people who'd complain if a black guy portrayed Hitler or rejoice that James Bond was made into a black character, purely because of skin colour.

Moreover, there is rarely any complaints about a straight guy playing a homosexual, why does it only garner criticism when it's to do with race?
    That's such a typical biased point of view. Why isn't Ghandi played by a white actor to, and Malcolm X, hey lets make a movie about Beyonce and use a white actress, lets whitewash Christianity and portray Jesus as white.

White hunger games fans when a young black actress is casted to play a side character, when the book it is based on does not discuss the race of her 'Omg man, I wanted her to be played by a white person, but she's black, and that kid's supposed to be beautiful, this can't be, no no no I will never watch this movie'. You compare which one's more logical, which of those people have more historical importance, and then figure out why people are outraged.

I don't think MLK had a dream of being whitewashed like Christianity unfortunately.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.