Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do you believe in god? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Because my parents forced me.
    But you are now free to decide whether you believe or not, right? You are 26.

ReputationRep:
    When people say 'there is no evidence for God' - what exactly does this mean? Does it mean that there is no scientific emperical evidence of God's existence, i.e. we're unable to look into a telescope and see God in the clouds somewhere?
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    I've said it before and I'll say it again:
    the universe started with a big bang, where all the mass and energy in the universe was just a single point of infinite density. since this point had infinite density and a very small volume, it must have had a lot of mass which means a lot of gravity. since Einstein's theory of relativity states that gravity creates a 'warp' in space-time, the more gravity the bigger the warp and thus time actually runs slower. at the time of the big bang there was so much mass that time was actually still. since time was created in the big bang there is no such thing as 'before the big bang' so there is no way that 'God' could have caused the big bang since there was no time for him to do it in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Automatic ones do.
    Imagine thinking a sensor doesn't detect movement, resulting in the door opening.

At least you tried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesniep)
    But you are now free to decide whether you believe or not, right? You are 26.
    I was speaking for most religious people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    If God is all-knowing then what is the point in him carrying out these "tests"?
    What about not fulfilling desires makes one "worthy", anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That question doesn't make sense to me. He tests us to see whether we will disobey Him, or love Him enough to maintain faith. Of course He knows what the outcome of this test will be, because He is all-knowing. Allah will test us in many ways. It could be something that brings us temporary hardship, to test our faith by seeing if we will turn away from him in these hard times, or maybe giving us something we have always wanted and seeing if it also causes us to forget about our faith. Sometimes once people gain what they've been praying for they start neglecting prayer thinking they now have everything. You're also forgetting that Satan likes to lead us astray, tempting us with worldly pleasures.

It makes us worthy because we aren't giving in to temptations, which come from Satan. Will you let Satan lead you astray, or will you listen to Allah and obey him? That is the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rad Prince)
    Not so actually. All men get virgins if they get into paradise, not just fighters who die in battles

"The smallest reward for the people of paradise is an abode where there are 80,000 servants and 72 wives, of which stands a dome decorated with pearls, aquamarine, and ruby, as wide as the distance from Al-Jabiyyah to Sana'a." Surah Al-Rahman 55, verse 72.

I wasn't accusing you of being prejudiced towards Westerners, I just meant I don't understand how someone can hold the belief that sex before marriage is sinful and sleazy when the afterlife seems pretty much based on sex with tonnes of these houris. It doesn't really explain why having tonnes of sex in this life is bad, but not in the next life to just say there is no sin in heaven so it's fine.
    And where did you get that from?

Verse 72 of Surah Al-Rahman is translated as, "Fair ones reserved in pavilions -". None of what is mentioned in the quote you just gave me is actually mentioned in Surah Al-Rahman. I should know, I have read and listened to it countless times.
    The quote is actually a Hadith:

It was mentioned by Daraj Ibn Abi Hatim, that Abu al-Haytham Abdullah Ibn Wahb narrated from Abu Sa'id al-Khudhri, who heard the Prophet Muhammad (Allah's blessings and peace be upon him) saying: "The smallest reward for the people of Heaven is an abode where there are 80,000 servants and 72 wives, over which stands a dome decorated with pearls, aquamarine and ruby, as wide as the distance from al-Jabiyyah to Sana'a."

However many have said this Hadith is classified as gharib (weak), so it may very well not be true. No one is sure about this but many Muslims do not believe in this Hadith because it is weak. It is used a lot by non-Muslims to mock our religion. What I learnt is true, however, is that men will get two wives in heaven. One will be their wife from this world.

Verses 47-78 of Surah al-Rahman actually saythe following in regards to Heaven:

"But for he who has fearedthe position of his Lord are two gardens -55:47
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny? -55:48
    Having [spreading]branches.55:49
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:50
    In both of them are twosprings, flowing.55:51
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:52
    In both of them are ofevery fruit, two kinds.55:53
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:54
    [They are] reclining on beds whoselinings are of silk brocade, and the fruit of the two gardens is hanging low.55:55
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:56
    In them are womenlimiting [their] glances, untouched before them by man or jinni -55:57
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny? -55:58
    As if they were rubiesand coral.55:59So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:60
    Is the reward for good[anything] but good?55:61
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:62
    And below them both [inexcellence] are two [other] gardens -55:63
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny? -55:64
    Dark green [in color].55:65
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:66
    In both of them are twosprings, spouting.55:67
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:68
    In both of them are fruitand palm trees and pomegranates.55:69
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:70
    In them are good andbeautiful women -55:71
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny? -55:72
    Fair ones reserved inpavilions -55:73
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny? -55:74
    Untouched before them byman or jinni -55:75
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny? -55:76
    Reclining on greencushions and beautiful fine carpets.55:77
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:78
    Blessed is the name of your Lord, Owner of Majesty and Honor."

Lastly, if you question why it is considered 'sleazy' and sinful, think about the many issues that stem from having sex before marriage. For example, teenage pregnancy, where the girl is mostly left to care for the child by herself and without a stable family, or sexually transmitted diseases. Now give me some advantages.Allah has forbidden it for good reasons. He knows what we do not, but I'm sure we're smart enough to figure out why it is bad for us. Also, in this world you're forgetting Satan leads us astray by constantly tempting us, with sex for example. So will you give in to these temptations or obey Allah? That's the point. Now, we all now sex is pleasurable. Allah made man and he knows what he desires, and a man's make-up is a test in itself. So in heaven Allah gives us this reward for abstaining from it in this life. In heaven there are no STIs, there is no sin, and nothing bad can come from it. Also I'm not scholar or expert, I'm just telling you what I've learnt, from very respected scholars and reliable sources, one of them being the Qur'an If I have made any mistakes, someone please correct me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminkattan)
    And where did you get that from?

Verse 72 of Surah Al-Rahman is translated as, "Fair ones reserved in pavilions -". None of what is mentioned in the quote you just gave me is actually mentioned in Surah Al-Rahman. I should know, I have read and listened to it countless times.
    The quote is actually a Hadith:

It was mentioned by Daraj Ibn Abi Hatim, that Abu al-Haytham Abdullah Ibn Wahb narrated from Abu Sa'id al-Khudhri, who heard the Prophet Muhammad (Allah's blessings and peace be upon him) saying: "The smallest reward for the people of Heaven is an abode where there are 80,000 servants and 72 wives, over which stands a dome decorated with pearls, aquamarine and ruby, as wide as the distance from al-Jabiyyah to Sana'a."

However many have said this Hadith is classified as gharib (weak), so it may very well not be true. No one is sure about this but many Muslims do not believe in this Hadith because it is weak. It is used a lot by non-Muslims to mock our religion. What I learnt is true, however, is that men will get two wives in heaven. One will be their wife from this world.

Verses 47-78 of Surah al-Rahman actually saythe following in regards to Heaven:

"But for he who has fearedthe position of his Lord are two gardens -55:47
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny? -55:48
    Having [spreading]branches.55:49
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:50
    In both of them are twosprings, flowing.55:51
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:52
    In both of them are ofevery fruit, two kinds.55:53
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:54
    [They are] reclining on beds whoselinings are of silk brocade, and the fruit of the two gardens is hanging low.55:55
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:56
    In them are womenlimiting [their] glances, untouched before them by man or jinni -55:57
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny? -55:58
    As if they were rubiesand coral.55:59So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:60
    Is the reward for good[anything] but good?55:61
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:62
    And below them both [inexcellence] are two [other] gardens -55:63
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny? -55:64
    Dark green [in color].55:65
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:66
    In both of them are twosprings, spouting.55:67
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:68
    In both of them are fruitand palm trees and pomegranates.55:69
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:70
    In them are good andbeautiful women -55:71
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny? -55:72
    Fair ones reserved inpavilions -55:73
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny? -55:74
    Untouched before them byman or jinni -55:75
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny? -55:76
    Reclining on greencushions and beautiful fine carpets.55:77
    So which of the favors ofyour Lord would you deny?55:78
    Blessed is the name of your Lord, Owner of Majesty and Honor."

Lastly, if you question why it is considered 'sleazy' and sinful, think about the many issues that stem from having sex before marriage. For example, teenage pregnancy, where the girl is mostly left to care for the child by herself and without a stable family, or sexually transmitted diseases. Now give me some advantages.Allah has forbidden it for good reasons. He knows what we do not, but I'm sure we're smart enough to figure out why it is bad for us. Also, in this world you're forgetting Satan leads us astray by constantly tempting us, with sex for example. So will you give in to these temptations or obey Allah? That's the point. Now, we all now sex is pleasurable. Allah made man and he knows what he desires, and a man's make-up is a test in itself. So in heaven Allah gives us this reward for abstaining from it in this life. In heaven there are no STIs, there is no sin, and nothing bad can come from it. Also I'm not scholar or expert, I'm just telling you what I've learnt, from very respected scholars and reliable sources, one of them being the Qur'an If I have made any mistakes, someone please correct me.
    If I am wrong I will legitimately accept it.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in one God, the father almighty, maker of heaven and earth. God sent down his only son Jesus Christ to save us from sin. God showed how much he loved us by allowing his only son to die, showing that he'd give up everything for us. I honour God the almighty and ever-living.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminkattan)
    That question doesn't make sense to me. He tests us to see whether we will disobey Him, or love Him enough to maintain faith. Of course He knows what the outcome of this test will be, because He is all-knowing. Allah will test us in many ways. It could be something that brings us temporary hardship, to test our faith by seeing if we will turn away from him in these hard times, or maybe giving us something we have always wanted and seeing if it also causes us to forget about our faith. Sometimes once people gain what they've been praying for they start neglecting prayer thinking they now have everything. You're also forgetting that Satan likes to lead us astray, tempting us with worldly pleasures.

It makes us worthy because we aren't giving in to temptations, which come from Satan. Will you let Satan lead you astray, or will you listen to Allah and obey him? That is the point.
    Lol, if he knows if we are worthy or not prior to any test what is the point of the test in the first place? And why create non-worthy people? You're not answering my question.

What about the tempations of the afterlife? I mean the whole reason we seek heaven is that it fufills our desires, unlike hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    You don't need God to give your own life a purpose.
    But that doesn't get around the fact that your life doesn't actually have a meaning or value. It's like a snail telling itself it is special because of how pretty its shell is. A snail's sense of self-worth would have no actual bearing on reality.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what I believe in. I was brought up a Christian but was never very religious in the first place. After I came to Japan though it really struck me that what you believe in is entirely environmental and that it makes no sense for any religion to be more 'correct' than others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    I don't know what I believe in. I was brought up a Christian but was never very religious in the first place. After I came to Japan though it really struck me that what you believe in is entirely environmental and that it makes no sense for any religion to be more 'correct' than others.
    I wasn't going to reply, but now you've persuaded me to
    Basically, you're asking "Why Christianity?" (along with saying that religion is purely environmental). If I can answer the first question, then there is no need to explain the second, as the second relies on the first being unanswerable.
    So why Christianity? A common question, but perfectly serious and sensible. We all need to step back and survey our beliefs, to see if we've gone off track, or if we're believing something completely wrong.
    The amazing and totally unique thing with Christianity is that we have a God who loves us enough to send his only son to die for us; also, there's the gift of the Holy Spirit, something which doesn't feature in any other religion. Things make so much more sense if you count God into the equation, and they make the most sense in Christianity.
    Besides, it is a well-known fact that Christians have often been persecuted; why then do they continue to thrive? As it says in the Bible, (in reference of some Christians who were preaching and being persecuted): "For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. 39But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Lol, if he knows if we are worthy or not prior to any test what is the point of the test in the first place? And why create non-worthy people? You're not answering my question.

What about the tempations of the afterlife? I mean the whole reason we seek heaven is that it fufills our desires, unlike hell.
    We're not created unworthy of His reward, we become unworthy thanks to the temptations of this world brought about by Satan. Some are weaker than others and this is a test in itself. Also, you can be worthy and still fail a small test. This is what repenting is for. He knows we are worthy and of course he knows if we will mess up or not, but he tests us to see if we repent to him afterwards, or turn away from him. "...Indeed, Allah loves those who are constantly repentant and loves those who purify themselves." [Surah Al-Baqarah 2:222] These tests aren't to bring us hardship, they are to bring us closer to Allah. When Allah knows you're distancing yourself from Him, He will test you with something that will bring you back to Him. After every test passed comes a reward, and surely after every test He gives us, He will provide us with something even better afterwards.

I'm pretty sure I've answered your question this time.

What temptations of the afterlife? Like I said there is no sin in heaven. So how could there be temptations? Satan is not there. Everything is perfect, but Allah also tells us it is beyond what we can ever imagine. And yes heaven does fulfil our desires, including the things we are forbidden from doing in this life.
    "And when you look there [in Paradise], you will see pleasure and great dominion." [Surah Al-Insan 76:20] / "[And it will be said], "Indeed, this is for you a reward, and your effort has been appreciated." [Surah Al-Insan 76:22]
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Bullsh*t

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.