The Student Room Group

Honestly, why do people even stress about getting a 2:1 in 2016?

Scroll to see replies

sorry ccc i will shut up about it now
Original post by john2054
it's true that a credit card isn't like a current account. they don't tell you how much you owe on the atm, so it is important you keep a close track on your finances, or at least remember how much you owe on it, so you don't go over the limit.

And if you have access to the internet you can register and check your balance online, but bearing in mind that it takes at least 2 days for any transactions to register, and you must try very hard never to go overdrawn.

If you think you can manage all of these things, feel free to click on this link. And also bearing in mind that any actual credit application does harm your score, in the short term at least. But in the long term, a bigger limit, is looked on favourably by the uk banks.

Here is the link. As you can see to check your elibility won't affect your score and report, it is only when you make the actual application, that they will *temporarily* go down.http://www.capitalone.co.uk/creditcards/credit-card-eligibility-checker.jsf

Such a random post

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Such a random post

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry sometimes i obsess over one thing, then get really stuck on it
Original post by TutuBEng
I mean, everyone graduates with a 2:1 anyway and still spends months unemployed, living with parents, before getting a job in Asda?

I'm in my final year of Engineering where the difference in the amount of work I'd need to put in to ensure getting a 2:1 is huge compared to a 2:2. I kind of just think, why bother? If I'm going to be unemployed anyway it seems like I may as well just not stress, chill and get a 2:2? They both seem the same to me in terms of uselessness.

I know right! I mean, why would people put effort into something they are paying £9000 a year tuition fees for.....oh wait, clever people do and idiots dont do the work
Original post by infairverona
If you're happy to spunk 36k (or more if your course is longer) on a 2.2 degree then by all means go for it. I paid the 3k fees and it wasn't even about the job, it was that I didn't want to spend all that money on a shitty degree that nobody really considers a degree. The few people I know with 2.2s are working in non-graduate crap paid jobs. Yet everyone I know with a 2.1 has a good job, either a grad scheme or a job that required a degree anyway...people always go on about how hard it is to get a good job but I don't know anyone who has actually struggled with a 2.1 in a good subject from a good uni so I think it's not the 2.1, but what degree and where. If you do media at Solent then yeah it's not going to help you as much as Chemistry from Bristol, that's pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Long story short - get your money's worth and get the 2.1, it's worth it in the end. Do you really want to say your whole life 'I got a 2.2' because I wouldn't want to. Where my aunt works they bin CVs with a 2.2 on them.

Oh stop it you

:ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee:
Yeah but thousands of other graduates get 2:1's and are unemployed for years as well.

All I'm saying it we're basically at a point where a 2:1 is essentially as useless as a 2:2.

The chances of getting a grad job with a 2:1 are so low nowadays that you're probably just as likely to get one with a 2:2.

Why did you go to university then if you don't think you'll get a graduate job?

No one gives a crap about your degree classification after you've gotten your first job. It all becomes about experience.

I have to disagree - picture yourself ten years down the line. You are in emplyment but there is funding for a part time Masters available and several people fancy the opportunity it will offer.

This is no longer just about on the job experience - You are applying back to Uni. The 2:1 classification will matter then. It happened in my case and thankfully I had the degree grade that got me the funding.

Keep up the momentum and get the very best degree you can. It is not just there to get you your first job. It remains on your CV for your working life and you would be surprised how much it means.
Reply 107
It's not just about the money, or the job at the end. Why the absolute f*ck would you bother going to university if you didn't care about the subject in the first place!
If your subject is something you are passionate about then you'll work for it.
If you picked your subject just for the job at the end then you work for the best possible grade so you can get the best possible job.
If you don't care either way get the hell out of academia and get a 9-5.
Many reasons why pay £9k if you are aiming for a 2:1?

Many jobs even small companies that hire graduates that I have come across say 'you need a min 2:1'

If I do not get a 2:1 next summer I will be ruled out for many graduate schemes.
Employers don't really care about the grade, mostly about the quality of uni and what you learnt
Original post by HollyBerry1
Employers don't really care about the grade, mostly about the quality of uni and what you learnt

they certainly do when your fresh out of uni and its all you really have to offer, mix that in with how many applications get put in for the same position at most companies that graduates want, there has never been a better time to care about your grade

a 2.1 doesnt even 'put you ahead' all that much, but if most of your applicants are getting 2.1's, why would you even look at a 2.2/3rd and consider it?

thats not saying 2.2/3rd students dont get jobs, because they do, but if your talking about the type of jobs that most graduates are drawn to, your not doing yourself any favours assuming that a 2.2 will be just as valuable as a 1st/2.1
LOL if you're going to fail then fail gloriously
Original post by infairverona
If you're happy to spunk 36k (or more if your course is longer) on a 2.2 degree then by all means go for it. I paid the 3k fees and it wasn't even about the job, it was that I didn't want to spend all that money on a *****y degree that nobody really considers a degree. The few people I know with 2.2s are working in non-graduate crap paid jobs. Yet everyone I know with a 2.1 has a good job, either a grad scheme or a job that required a degree anyway...people always go on about how hard it is to get a good job but I don't know anyone who has actually struggled with a 2.1 in a good subject from a good uni so I think it's not the 2.1, but what degree and where. If you do media at Solent then yeah it's not going to help you as much as Chemistry from Bristol, that's pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Long story short - get your money's worth and get the 2.1, it's worth it in the end. Do you really want to say your whole life 'I got a 2.2' because I wouldn't want to. Where my aunt works they bin CVs with a 2.2 on them.
fyi
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KungPooPanda
No i know that its not 'the same', but the principle is all the same, what does a 2.2 say about you? 'that you went to university and got a degree', anyone can do that, same thing that people say when you basically 'just' pass your exams with C's, they will say well done, but will probably never ask or wonder about how hard you worked, and they will always try their hardest not to give that look of - 'oh, i'm sorry for asking' like they have just asked you about something you are embarrassed about

I just dont see why anyone would not aim for atleast a 2.1. If your going to university, what are you going for?

If your going because you think it will increase employability - then open your eyes and smell the cofee, most of the decent employers that grads are going for will require 2.1's, since so many people get 2.1's nowadays, getting anything lower doesn't do you any favours does it?

If your going because of your thirst for knowledge and passion for learning - chances are you will work your ass off and a 2.1 will be WELL within reach

in MY opinion - 2.2's for the most part, are for people who go to university because they are just 'following the motions' of school>college>uni, for the people who aren't really THAT interested in being at uni, probably only there because their parents expect them to be

and i went to Liverpool

I got a 2.1 in the end. Even though it nearly killed me!

Quick Reply

Latest