Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HMRC Tax Professional and Operational Delivery Higher Officer Caseworker watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbdb)
    I got 2 , minimal demonstration and it says no evidence of decision making or data handling. I didnt think my example was that bad ! Im gutted. I will be 23 without a proper career under way.

Does anyone know when they would recruit again ? Is it next year same time ?
    I have just recently started working at HMRC in a HO role and they said they still need a lot of people. They will be recruiting soon im sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jav3185)
    I have just recently started working at HMRC in a HO role and they said they still need a lot of people. They will be recruiting soon im sure.
    Hi jav3185, I have just booked my interview for this job and wondered if you would provide any tips based on your experience of the process? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GNH)
    Hi jav3185, I have just booked my interview for this job and wondered if you would provide any tips based on your experience of the process? Thanks
    Hi, the interview process is fairly straightforward. Just make sure you take your educational certificates with you as they will check on the day and can reject you if you dont provide sufficent evidence of having the qualifications. They check your paperwork first then the interview begins. Interviews are competency based so you have to use the STAR method. So they for example will ask you to give a time you had to make effective decisions. You have to put emphasis on your role and how you sucessfully achieved the goal you were aiming for/resolved an issue etc.

It will be a long drawn out process between the interview, getting an offer and actually starting work. Patience is the key. Let me know if you want to ask anything else.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, the interview process is fairly straightforward. Just make sure you take your educational certificates with you as they will check on the day and can reject you if you dont provide sufficent evidence of having the qualifications. They check your paperwork first then the interview begins. Interviews are competency based so you have to use the STAR method. So they for example will ask you to give a time you had to make effective decisions. You have to put emphasis on your role and how you sucessfully achieved the goal you were aiming for/resolved an issue etc.

It will be a long drawn out process between the interview, getting an offer and actually starting work. Patience is the key. Let me know if you want to ask anything else.
    Thanks so much for your response. Were your interview questions worded as 'tell us about a time' looking for experience examples, or 'what would you do if' scenario type questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GNH)
    Thanks so much for your response. Were your interview questions worded as 'tell us about a time' looking for experience examples, or 'what would you do if' scenario type questions?
    First one was tell us about a time you had to change the way you work because of unforseen circumstances and the second was what would i do if i had to investigate an elderly woman over her taxes? Would this clash with my moral principles. That was it.

ReputationRep:
    First one was tell us about a time you had to change the way you work because of unforseen circumstances and the second was what would i do if i had to investigate an elderly woman over her taxes? Would this clash with my moral principles. That was it.
    Thanks a lot. Obviously doubtful they would use the same again but nice to get an idea.

ReputationRep:
    Got a four - "Range of competency examples shown", overall rating - "acceptable demonstration". Is there any more feedback or is that it? Don't usually get feedback for competency questions like this so would have been nice to get something more substantial but meh.

What's the career prospects like for this job? Is it a bit of a struggle to get up the ladder or is it fairly easy if you're competent enough?

ReputationRep:
    Congrats !! What did example constituted of as i yhibk i met most of the criteria of a good answer lol but wasbt good enough

(Original post by La Haine)
    Got a four - "Range of competency examples shown", overall rating - "acceptable demonstration". Is there any more feedback or is that it? Don't usually get feedback for competency questions like this so would have been nice to get something more substantial but meh.

What's the career prospects like for this job? Is it a bit of a struggle to get up the ladder or is it fairly easy if you're competent enough?

ReputationRep:
    I'll paste the exact answer once the application process is finished. It was regarding how I completed a project as part of one of my employment roles, how I went about doing it and what the outcome was.

ReputationRep:
    I somehow managed to score 5 on the competency question. The feedback was
    'A strong example. You could improve the score by demonstrating how you ensured information was handled sensitively and with care'. Overall feedback was good demonstration.

Didnt think it went well when I submitted!

Anyone else applying to Glasgow?

ReputationRep:
    Congrats !!
    What was your example about
    (Original post by Wsb0819)
    I somehow managed to score 5 on the competency question. The feedback was
    'A strong example. You could improve the score by demonstrating how you ensured information was handled sensitively and with care'. Overall feedback was good demonstration.

Didnt think it went well when I submitted!

Anyone else applying to Glasgow?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations, to all who have made it through to the interview stage. For those who haven't, there will be many more jobs advertised in future, I'm sure. Home Office currently has an advert out for 215 EO caseworkers. Here is the link for those who are interested:

https://www.civilservicejobs.service...ource=csalerts

I managed to get 4 in my feedback and was invited for an Interview. I have a bit of a dilemma though, as I am starting the Investigation Officer role on Monday, so can't book an interview date till I know what hours I will be working, though I'm presuming it will be flexi time. It's an EO role, and from other forums, I hear you can accept a role on promotion while on probation, but not level transfer. I'll know for sure on Monday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jiyajiya12)
    Congrats !!
    What was your example about
    Thanks!

It was about making a decision based on exam results

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had an interview for the AO posts yet? If so how was it

ReputationRep:
    Have any of you guys had your interview yet for the HO role and if yes, can anyone offer any further tips? Would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawgrad13)
    Have any of you guys had your interview yet for the HO role and if yes, can anyone offer any further tips? Would be much appreciated
    I had an HO interview at Croydon yesterday. I was with two ladies for ten minutes going through the paperwork (ID, education certificates etc) and then 30 mins having the interview with 2 guys. It was split 50:50 between the competencies 'making effective decisions' and 'partnering and collaborating'. They were assessing the communication/leadership competency throughout the interview. The guys were nice and I felt like they were trying to get the best out of me, so picking me up on some points for clarification etc.

My tip would be : know your competences inside out (i.e. memorise the indicators) and prepare some examples of situations where you can illustrate how you demonstrated these effectively. They also used a hypothetical scenario with me, so there is some winging it too!

Good luck to everyone who's interviewing soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazzamaz)
    I had an HO interview at Croydon yesterday. I was with two ladies for ten minutes going through the paperwork (ID, education certificates etc) and then 30 mins having the interview with 2 guys. It was split 50:50 between the competencies 'making effective decisions' and 'partnering and collaborating'. They were assessing the communication/leadership competency throughout the interview. The guys were nice and I felt like they were trying to get the best out of me, so picking me up on some points for clarification etc.

My tip would be : know your competences inside out (i.e. memorise the indicators) and prepare some examples of situations where you can illustrate how you demonstrated these effectively. They also used a hypothetical scenario with me, so there is some winging it too!

Good luck to everyone who's interviewing soon
    Hi,

Was it just a hypothetical scenario for each competancy? or just one of them? did you have to provide an example of when you were in a particular situation?

Fingers crossed for you.

ReputationRep:
    I had my interview today. Now just the long wait for their decision. Anyone having an interview in Manchester, the interviewers are lovely! Proper put you at ease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Echopark88)
    I had my interview today. Now just the long wait for their decision. Anyone having an interview in Manchester, the interviewers are lovely! Proper put you at ease.
    Hope you are successful. I have a 2:1 degree in accounting but don't have a C in GCSE maths. I am not sure if they will interview me. Any ideas , any one will be much appreciated. I am quite confused as I am getting mixed replies from friends who work for HMRC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hq1)
    Hope you are successful. I have a 2:1 degree in accounting but don't have a C in GCSE maths. I am not sure if they will interview me. Any ideas , any one will be much appreciated. I am quite confused as I am getting mixed replies from friends who work for HMRC.
    I think it's pretty unlikely you'll be offered a position as the minimum entry requirements for all positions is 5 GCSEs grade C or above which must include maths and English.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.