Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrownGuyIrfan)
    Got Unit 4 and Unit 5 notes here. They're really helpful for me so I thought i'd share. I should say they're not mine, I just found them on the internet but they're really good!
    Thank you so much for sharing them

ReputationRep:
    Thanks 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrownGuyIrfan)
    Got Unit 4 and Unit 5 notes here. They're really helpful for me so I thought i'd share. I should say they're not mine, I just found them on the internet but they're really good!
    thankk you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah the article looks mad annnoying

I wish I could focus on bio now but f325/4 chem has consumed me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimen.)
    Yeahh me. got any predictions?
    None at all. But i feel Alzheimer's is important. and some stuff about atherosclerosis. and also acetylcholinesterase.
    what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_Jaweria)
    None at all. But i feel Alzheimer's is important. and some stuff about atherosclerosis. and also acetylcholinesterase.
    what do you think?
    Though the topic of article seems out of course but i am trying to make questions that have occured in previous papers from article part like protein synthesis or atherosclerosis!

ReputationRep:
    anyone made unit 5 article notes? as in question answers. eh?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I have a question, in immunity are macrophages part of the specific or non specific immune system? Because they seem to be in both and I m confused as to how that works...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xsashax)
    Hi! I have a question, in immunity are macrophages part of the specific or non specific immune system? Because they seem to be in both and I m confused as to how that works...
    Both. Macrophages are just general phagocytes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mercuryman)
    Both. Macrophages are just general phagocytes.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Last year I ran a study group for the As exams and it was really successful - there were a group of 20 or so of us who asked each other questions, made model answers, helped each other and discussed exam technique, etc. etc.

I'll be doing it again this year (for the A2, obviously!) so if you'd like to be a part of it PM me for more info

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused on what spec i'm meant to be looking at, well I know it's 2008 and I'm on it but in the file from the edexcel website theres like concept led approach and context led approach? might be a stupid question but which one do i look at? xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj99)
    I'm confused on what spec i'm meant to be looking at, well I know it's 2008 and I'm on it but in the file from the edexcel website theres like concept led approach and context led approach? might be a stupid question but which one do i look at? xD
    They both cover the exact same content but the specifications are in a different order :fluffy:

You either study the course concept-led or context-led, e.g. you learn about a disease and then work backwards to understand the biology, or you learn biological principles and use those to understand a disease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    They both cover the exact same content but the specifications are in a different order :fluffy:

You either study the course concept-led or context-led, e.g. you learn about a disease and then work backwards to understand the biology, or you learn biological principles and use those to understand a disease.
    Ohhh thanks So context led would be you learn about the disease and then work backwards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj99)
    Ohhh thanks So context led would be you learn about the disease and then work backwards?
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1459450441465.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  41.8 KB can someone explain exactly what happens here, like I understand the resting and action potential but does the action potential occur in the membrane of the nerve fibre in parts and not once at a time so the membrane is like splitted into parts ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayerBB)
    Name:  1459450441465.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  41.8 KB can someone explain exactly what happens here, like I understand the resting and action potential but does the action potential occur in the membrane of the nerve fibre in parts and not once at a time so the membrane is like splitted into parts ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's just showing the nerve impulse travelling down the neurone, so it happens continuously down the nerve fibre

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    It's just showing the nerve impulse travelling down the neurone, so it happens continuously down the nerve fibre
    Okay thanks!
    It also says that when depolarisation occurs, localised currents are generated in the membrane, so what does it mean and what are they for ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have a question about getting the A*! I got 265 UMS at AS (A). I know I need 90% in both Unit 4 and 5, but what overall UMS do I need to get an A*? Like I'm sure you have to get a minimum of ___ UMS and then A* in Unit 4 and 5 for the A*. Any help would be appreciated
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Started my annotations for the pre-release already

Based on my annotations, I assume the following may pop up:
    - Genes, DNA, PCR, translation, transcription (unit 4) and transcription factors (unit 5)
    - Global warming (there's mentions of carbon dioxide here and there)
    - Structure of bacteria, cell walls of bacteria - Mycoplasma are a genus of bacteria that lack cell walls
    - Photosynthesis, GPP, NPP, biomass
    - Stem Cells, ethics
    - Biological molecules (maybe)
    - Drug development
    - Brain matter (very vague though)
    - Enzyme structure and proteins

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.