Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

EU Referendum poll watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should we remain or leave the European Union?
    Leave
    51.58%
    Remain
    48.42%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PastaMonster)

(Original post by alexhossbach)
    On point 1, I agree that the answer is totally subjective and quite frankly I myself cant make my mind up. The initial argument would be that whilst we are in the EU we do have the responsibility of taking care of others also within the union. You would also have to think about the morality behind choosing not to do it. Take Catalonia who want to leave Spain because they believe they take care of the rest of the country, are they right in doing so?

With freedom to move about I was referring to people who currently live in the UK and I must agree that unrestricted migration is total chaos and that open borders are pretty dangerous.

I think that should Britain leave the EU we would experiment such a loss in trade from businesses moving away and exports drastically decreasing that the first response from the government would be to seek some sort of new trade agreement which would try and stop this from happening. Whether we'll be able to resume economic ties to previous levels is something that only time will tell.

Let me remind you that in 1970 both the labour and conservative parties made the decision to try and get into the EEC in order to try and revive the slow rate of growth the country was experiencing in comparison to other European nations. Let me also remind you that before that even happened (late 60s) politicians tried to establish economic and industrial ties with other European and non-EEC nations but abandoned their attempts after several years with no real difference. In my opinion the EU saved our ass back then and no we were not as rich as you'd like to think. The whole of Europe has grown and has got richer because together (in some things) is quite often better.
    I don't think the first point is even necessarily about responsibility or morality, because it will benefit us as much as it benefits them. Countries like Romania, Poland and Bulgaria are seeing economic growth. It benefits us economically to help that, because it allows for more trade. In the long-term, the EU and the UK benefit.

ReputationRep:
    This is an historic opportunity to leave the EU, I for one am going to take it

ReputationRep:
    I am still undecided.

On the one hand the EU has many problems (refugee crises for example) and is seemingly dominant by Euro countries. On the other hand it has opened up a lot of opportunities for the UK and allowed people to move freely to try and better their lives.

I am just waiting for the Leave campaign to present a solid future of the UK outside the EU, no "ifs" "possibly" or "potentially". I also hope the Leave campaign is largely positive. They should talk about all the benefits of not being in the EU in a positive manner, not all the negative things about the EU.

I am happy that my exchange in France finished before the referendum date.

ReputationRep:
    Should leave the EU, enough of this bullsh*t.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There are problems with the EU, which few people dispute - the way the Euro was extended to countries too poor to handle it, aspects of the bureaucracy and the way regulations are produced - and the way immigration is handled.

The problem with this referendum is that all of the above receive maximum press coverage at all times. Any plus sides - living in one Europe, freedom to work, study and live anywhere in it, international guarantees of rights, a common currency across most of it, high living standards and a benign, progressive society as the model, plus a common trade area with shared rules - these are ignored by our media.

Therefore this referendum will most likely not be a fair or meaningful one to many voters, as it will not accurately depict many of the issues.

Worse, we are only having it at all because of a split between small factions of a minority of right wing interests.

It's all a bit crap really. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    There are problems with the EU, which few people dispute - the way the Euro was extended to countries too poor to handle it, aspects of the bureaucracy and the way regulations are produced - and the way immigration is handled.

The problem with this referendum is that all of the above receive maximum press coverage at all times. Any plus sides - living in one Europe, freedom to work, study and live anywhere in it, international guarantees of rights, a common currency across most of it, high living standards and a benign, progressive society as the model, plus a common trade area with shared rules - these are ignored by our media.

Therefore this referendum will most likely not be a fair or meaningful one to many voters, as it will not accurately depict many of the issues.

Worse, we are only having it at all because of a split between small factions of a minority of right wing interests.

It's all a bit crap really. :sad:
    This is a load of rubbish. It's lefty propaganda. Left wing politics is awful. The EU guarantees none of those things.

Firstly, who said we're leaving Europe? It's the EU. Secondly the free movement of labour it at our detriment due to uncontrolled mass migration. A British passport will get you into any country. High living standards were not brought by the EU. That's propaganda. The shared rules in the EU prompts a conflict of interests and over regulations which strangle SMEs.

There's literally no good reason to stay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damola3)
    This is a load of rubbish. It's lefty propaganda. Left wing politics is awful. The EU guarantees none of those things.
    Good. Who would want that left wing ****?

ReputationRep:
    This is a great article for anyone on the fence: http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/02...-after-brexit/

A vote to leave is not a vote to completely isolate ourselves from Europe as Remain would like us to think. We can have a free trade agreement like many other countries around the world do with the EU and continue to grow away from the failing institution of the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burbe)
    This is a great article for anyone on the fence: http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/02...-after-brexit/

A vote to leave is not a vote to completely isolate ourselves from Europe as Remain would like us to think. We can have a free trade agreement like many other countries around the world do with the EU and continue to grow away from the failing institution of the EU.
    Excellent link

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how the referendum will work for British citizens living abroad? I currently live in Japan (moved there last year). Will I still be eligible to vote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    Does anyone know how the referendum will work for British citizens living abroad? I currently live in Japan (moved there last year). Will I still be eligible to vote?
    You'll need to register.
    http://www.electoralcommission.org.u...-move-overseas

ReputationRep:
    Excellent new site for people wanting to check statements about the EU made by "Out" politicians.
    http://infacts.org/

It's worth doing this because one thing you realise about the EU issue after a while is that the people against it make up all kinds of things as arguments. There will be a lot of lies told by the Brexit campaign and by the newspapers that back it.

ReputationRep:
    I do wonder why anyone in the public eye would apparently-see the post above-be willing to deliberately lie with regard to this issue when those lies would well and truly be held against against them by the country should we end up being significantly worse off as a result of them.

I can only imagine therefore that they are lying because they believe they have 'right 'on their side.

Because usually people lie when they have something to gain by it don't they?

Anyway I was intrigued to discover/read in the link above that Turkey apparently has virtually no chance of joining the EU.

I wonder if anyone has told them?

(What newspapers are in favour of leaving then?Can only be the Sun and Mail but I wouldn't be surprised if one of those was undecided so that would leave just one paper wouldn't it!?)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I want to stay in but part of me is curious to see what would happen if we left. It'd be like watching a two-year long disaster movie.

ReputationRep:
    Technically anyone who votes to remain is a traitor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickidc18)
    Oh also don't forget the millions of refugees & migrants Germany let in will be allowed to move here in 5 years under freedom of movement when we had no say in that matter. If you want the U.K to turn into a cesspit in 10 years vote IN, don't be afraid in fact be afraid if we stay in. There's a good chance if we are brave & leave, others will follow & the EU will implode.
    actually if you knew as much as you are pretending to, you'd know that the migrants in Germany have a TEMPORARY visa card w/e thing, they won't be allowed to stay there - pfft idiot

ReputationRep:
    Remain.

I really don't want us to end up like Australia; http://www.theguardian.com/australia...ure-convention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Excellent new site for people wanting to check statements about the EU made by "Out" politicians.
    http://infacts.org/

It's worth doing this because one thing you realise about the EU issue after a while is that the people against it make up all kinds of things as arguments. There will be a lot of lies told by the Brexit campaign and by the newspapers that back it.
    It blows my mind how many blatant lies are being thrown around by these people. Most of them don't even know they're lying, they just heard something on Facebook or in the Daily Mail comments and added it to their arsenal of statements to parrot incessantly, of course always followed with "FACT!" so you know it's true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    It blows my mind how many blatant lies are being thrown around by these people. Most of them don't even know they're lying, they just heard something on Facebook or in the Daily Mail comments and added it to their arsenal of statements to parrot incessantly, of course always followed with "FACT!" so you know it's true.
    Yea well check out today's daily politics for the discrepancy between official migrant figures and eu registrations for ni numbers.

Oh yea and the info that could settle this discrepancy a bit is being suppressed by the government.

Oh dear oh dear

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Let the EU members have their 'ever closer union' and let Britain have a friendly, trade-based relationship with the EU without political domination by the EU's unelected bureaucrats.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.