Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    That doesn't really add up. Why on earth would you want to study maths at university if you want to avoid it as much as possible before that point.

Thats like me wanting to be a writer but refusing to go to any english classes.
    not really, because i am taking a level maths and i also said that i will think about it over the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameenatariq)
    not really, because i am taking a level maths and i also said that i will think about it over the summer.
    I would say that A-Level maths is for people who want to go into STEM subjects in general however FM is for people looking into Maths/Physics/Compsci uni courses.

ReputationRep:
    This is the first time ive heard ppl say this!

ReputationRep:
    I think your real question here is whether you want to or don't want to study maths at university - if you do, then taking FM is a no brainer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student403)
    FINALLY REPPED YOU jfc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    finally repped you jfc
    :rofl: Now the race begins for you... PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    I would say that A-Level maths is for people who want to go into STEM subjects in general however FM is for people looking into Maths/Physics/Compsci uni courses.
    my brother is going into computer science yet he didn't do further maths ? and he got offers from UCL and Kings.

ReputationRep:
    my brother is going into computer science yet he didn't do further maths ? and he got offers from UCL and Kings.
    places like imperial etc say that they "strongly encourage applicants to take Further Maths at A2 or AS level" (taken straight from their website)

ReputationRep:
    FINALLY REPPED YOU jfc
    i got to rep you and 403 after ages today - TSR was being kind

ReputationRep:
    Computer Science \neq Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Computer Science \neq Maths.
    yes i know that, you clearly didn't see what comment i was responding to.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but a lot of the top universities care about Further Maths for the subjects I mentioned. Imperial or Cambridge will not accept you without at least AS Further Maths and if you are applying for Maths it makes 0 sense to not take FM.

What are you reasons for not wanting to take it?

ReputationRep:
    yes i know that, you clearly didn't see what comment i was responding to.
    You clearly can't see what others are telling you - frankly, you've got 10 or more people telling you the same thing and you refuse to listen to any of it. With utmost respect and no offence intended: your attitude of only taking further maths if it's a requisite is atrocious and won't get you anywhere - do what you please, but if you detest maths to such a point where you're afraid of taking something as trivial as FM, you're going to struggle massively in any uni maths course.

ReputationRep:
    You clearly can't see what others are telling you - frankly, you've got 10 or more people telling you the same thing and you refuse to listen to any of it. With utmost respect and no offence intended: your attitude of only taking further maths if it's a requisite is atrocious and won't get you anywhere - do what you please, but if you detest maths to such a point where you're afraid of taking something as trivial as FM, you're going to struggle massively in any uni maths course.
    That.. sums it up in a nutshell. PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    some people are saying different things, and i actually listened by saying i will think about it over the summer and lastly if its bothering you so much why do you keep replying im only a GCSE student trying to pick my a levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    That.. sums it up in a nutshell. PRSOM
    zack attack got no chill

ReputationRep:
    some people are saying different things, and i actually listened by saying i will think about it over the summer and lastly if its bothering you so much why do you keep replying im only a GCSE student trying to pick my a levels.
    No you aren't. you're someone with potential who is considering limiting her learning and we don't want to see good potential go to waste.

People are saying what they are saying because they care about your future. Please do the right thing and select it - it's going to benefit you a lot Virtually everyone here is talking from experience.

ReputationRep:
    He is only trying to give you solid advice; he's a Cambridge Maths offer-holder, so I'd listen to his advice if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    I can't be bothered reading all the posts but just about everyone has told you the same thing in regard to this.

(And just FYI - I am a mathematics professor at a top 2 in the UK university who formerly used to be the departments admissions person)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pvaz6965)
    I can't be bothered reading all the posts but just about everyone has told you the same thing in regard to this.
    not everyone

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.