Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proxenus)
    i swear all guys have ugly feet except me...
    Shame no girls on here have a foot fetish.

ReputationRep:
    I think that there are few times when you really are going to make the difference between life and death for a patient. Modern medicine's protocols and guidelines mean that patents just move along pathways and scoring systems and most of the time you are just doing what anyone other doctor in your position would have done or could do easily, and, at almost all really serious times there are always senior people to help you.

A couple of months I found in myself in a rare situation. It presented me with the scariest moment in my life so far. I was doing four days of night shifts. The night previous to the incident I clerked a 45 year old patient with a large anterior ST elevation MI (a BIG heart attack) - I remember telling his wife and three children that he had had a big blow to his heart but since he had been to the cath lab and we had unblocked his arteries, he was going to be OK. I remember having a discussion about whether he would be going home in one night or two...they looked so relieved, they were telling me how much appreciated what we were doing and how we were all amazing etc and I gave my standard line of "oh we are just doing our jobs; besides I didn't even do anything, thank the consultant..."

The next night was extremely busy. There were two "primaries" at the same time - that is, two patients that needed emergency artery unblockage. There were no registrars (senior doctors) on the ward. It was just me and the nurses. Even the senior staff nurse was on another ward far away.

There are a lot of noises on CCU. Noises for all kinds of things - low oxygen sats, fast heart beats, phones going off, people furiously pressing the buzzer at the door... I ignore all of them - all the doctors do. But there is one noise you don't ignore. It sounds like an ambulance siren. It is loud and poignant and on a cardiology unit it only goes off very selectively. Basically when someone's heart stops beating - cardiac arrest - the siren is started to alert doctors to the patient needing resuscitsion.

You have to act quickly. 5 minutes is probably all you have. 10 minutes and there's serious pulmonary oedema and by 15 minutes there is often irreversible brain damage.

It was the guy I had seen the night before. He has a rhythm known as ventricular fibrillation, where his heart's rhythm is so uncoordinated that it cannot reliably pump blood out of its chambers. It is a well known and fatal complication of a heart attack. So the patient at this point is technically dead. I am the only doctor on the ward and there is no one to help me. So it's literally up to me to bring this guy back to life. And if I fail - I am going to be the one telling his family the news. After two shocks and about 8 mins we get him back. Thankfully I didn't panic.

I feel that had I been a little bit of a warmer person and a little more emotional and allowed myself to take stock of the situation and feel what was really at stake after I knew which patient had the cardiac arrest, I'd probably not have had the coordination and focus to successful lead the CPR. There was literally no one else that night that could have helped and this guy would have probably died had I not been there.

These are the kinds of things doctors have to go through at times in their careers. That's why the job is harder than just fixing printers or number crunching on excel - the stakes are just different.

ReputationRep:
    acupofgreentea
    iEthan
    dairychocolate
    Zargabaath
    Indeterminate
    CoolCavy
    serah.exe
    Xotol
    AngryRedhead
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Hiya AG,

Have now merged threads as promised and changed thread title. Will give a read shortly.

ReputationRep:
    The answer is Oldham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Hiya AG,

Have now merged threads as promised and changed thread title. Will give a read shortly.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Please make your posts more like this, they're so much more interesting to read. I'll defo be wanting to read more of these in the future. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome Genius)
    A couple of months I found in myself in a rare situation. It presented me with the scariest moment in my life so far.
    Babby's first arrest? Aren't you supposed to be an SHO?

I am the only doctor on the ward and there is no one to help me. So it's literally up to me to bring this guy back to life.
    >implying there isn't an arrest team at a PCI centre.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Interesting read! More please :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Why are you tagging me? :hmmmm:
    I don't care about your life in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    I think that there are few times when you really are going to make the difference between life and death for a patient. Modern medicine's protocols and guidelines mean that patents just move along pathways and scoring systems and most of the time you are just doing what anyone other doctor in your position would have done or could do easily, and, at almost all really serious times there are always senior people to help you.

A couple of months I found in myself in a rare situation. It presented me with the scariest moment in my life so far. I was doing four days of night shifts. The night previous to the incident I clerked a 45 year old patient with a large anterior ST elevation MI (a BIG heart attack) - I remember telling his wife and three children that he had had a big blow to his heart but since he had been to the cath lab and we had unblocked his arteries, he was going to be OK. I remember having a discussion about whether he would be going home in one night or two...they looked so relieved, they were telling me how much appreciated what we were doing and how we were all amazing etc and I gave my standard line of "oh we are just doing our jobs; besides I didn't even do anything, thank the consultant..."

The next night was extremely busy. There were two "primaries" at the same time - that is, two patients that needed emergency artery unblockage. There were no registrars (senior doctors) on the ward. It was just me and the nurses. Even the senior staff nurse was on another ward far away.

There are a lot of noises on CCU. Noises for all kinds of things - low oxygen sats, fast heart beats, phones going off, people furiously pressing the buzzer at the door... I ignore all of them - all the doctors do. But there is one noise you don't ignore. It sounds like an ambulance siren. It is loud and poignant and on a cardiology unit it only goes off very selectively. Basically when someone's heart stops beating - cardiac arrest - the siren is started to alert doctors to the patient needing resuscitsion.

You have to act quickly. 5 minutes is probably all you have. 10 minutes and there's serious pulmonary oedema and by 15 minutes there is often irreversible brain damage.

It was the guy I had seen the night before. He has a rhythm known as ventricular fibrillation, where his heart's rhythm is so uncoordinated that it cannot reliably pump blood out of its chambers. It is a well known and fatal complication of a heart attack. So the patient at this point is technically dead. I am the only doctor on the ward and there is no one to help me. So it's literally up to me to bring this guy back to life. And if I fail - I am going to be the one telling his family the news. After two shocks and about 8 mins we get him back. Thankfully I didn't panic.

I feel that had I been a little bit of a warmer person and a little more emotional and allowed myself to take stock of the situation and feel what was really at stake after I knew which patient had the cardiac arrest, I'd probably not have had the coordination and focus to successful lead the CPR. There was literally no one else that night that could have helped and this guy would have probably died had I not been there.

These are the kinds of things doctors have to go through at times in their careers. That's why the job is harder than just fixing printers or number crunching on excel - the stakes are just different.
    Damn. Incredible story.

P.S Have you considered diagnosing yourself with MPD? When you're not being a doctor you're TSR's #1 troll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    Babby's first arrest? Aren't you supposed to be an SHO?

>implying there isn't an arrest team at a PCI centre.
    87 year old 3 days post DHS, HAP, Hb 7.8, asystole
    67 year old with bilateral PE, prostate cancer with mets, family refused DNAR, PEA
    94 year old with CAP, presenting with acute Pul oedema and NSTEMI, asystole

Now...

45 year old fit and well man with an easily reversible cause of cardiac arrest in the context of an MI.

Do you note any differences? The stakes, the expectations that CPR will work, the fact I clerked him in...

You obviously don't have the experience of crash calls to understand these things yet.

As far as the crash team covering CCU = me + reg + senior staff nurse + anaesthetist + ANPs

But the latter two takes ages to come

Reg was in the lab

Anyway don't quote me, I don't like you at all. I don't like talking to you.

ReputationRep:
    87 year old 3 days post DHS, HAP, Hb 7.8, asystole
    67 year old with bilateral PE, prostate cancer with mets, family refused DNAR, PEA
    94 year old with CAP, presenting with acute Pul oedema and NSTEMI, asystole

Now...

45 year old fit and well man with an easily reversible cause of cardiac arrest in the context of an MI.

Do you note any differences? The stakes, the expectations that CPR will work, the fact I clerked him in...

You obviously don't have the experience of crash calls to understand these things yet.

As far as the crash team covering CCU = me + reg + senior staff nurse + anaesthetist + ANPs

But the latter two takes ages to come

Reg was in the lab

Anyway don't quote me, I don't like you at all. I don't like talking to you.
    Lmao, don't get upset just because you cacked your pants.

Its the first post!
    Also, cut your toenails you subhuman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    Lmao, don't get upset just because you cacked your pants.

Also, cut your toenails you subhuman.
    Lol of all the things to notice?! Yes I have since then

ReputationRep:
    Cool blog, looking forward to the next post

ReputationRep:
    Yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dairychocolate)
    Yes?
    Read my blogg

ReputationRep:

Well done AG, you did a monumental and impressive thing in saving that man's life. It may not feel like a big deal to anyone else in the grand scheme of things, after all, thousands of people die every day of various causes; but remember it made all the difference in the world to him and his family and his friends. They get to keep him for a little bit longer before the inevitable can no longer be delayed.

What's his condition as of today? Is he stable? Can his heart be fixed?

These blog posts are very inspiring, AG, I wish you'd post more often about what you do, in fact.

Just ignore all the people giving you gip; they're probably only jealous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Well done AG, you did a monumental and impressive thing in saving that man's life. It may not feel like a big deal to anyone else in the grand scheme of things, after all, thousands of people die every day of various causes; but remember it made all the difference in the world to him and his family and his friends. They get to keep him for a little bit longer before the inevitable can no longer be delayed.

What's his condition as of today? Is he stable? Can his heart be fixed?

These blog posts are very inspiring, AG, I wish you'd post more often about what you do, in fact.

Just ignore all the people giving you gip; they're probably only jealous.
    Thanks for the support.

Basically that man *should* be OK. We unblocked his arteries, got him through the dangerous post-MI phase and a post-MI echo showed that his heart had not suffered any major damage as a result of the MI.

Which is great

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the support.

Basically that man *should* be OK. We unblocked his arteries, got him through the dangerous post-MI phase and a post-MI echo showed that his heart had not suffered any major damage as a result of the MI.

Which is great
    That's good; I'm glad he's okay for the time being. It's just so cool how you saved his life though.

What and where did you do your pre-medicine work experience? I know it's some time ago now but I'm very curious. Did you do any of those clinical work experience placements abroad?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.