The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS3/BUSS4 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by JoshFlySon
Reasonable to be honest, when you talk about lower barriers to entry why not mention Porter's five forces - with Uber mention how they have no substantial assets (own no cabs) given them a cost advantage - mention 'pure plays' as well and how it has made selling online much easier and at a lower cost compared to traditional brick and mortar models
I have done this question as well

I agree.

Just a lil tip tho - 'less customers, and lower profits' would be better if you say 'less customers resulting in lower sales hence lower profits'. It clearly expresses the 'chain of argument' etc
Personally, I'm not going to revise because I find Business Studies ridiculously easy.
Surely you'll have to revise cases study examples for BUSS4?
Hey guys, me again.
I've done another past question from a BUSS3 paper. Please help me figure out what marks I would have achieved for my answer. Taken from the January 2012 paper (BUSS3)
Question 1:
Innovation is defines as putting an idea into action.

One possible issue that Scott Electronics PLC would have to consider is their current investment in research and development. For example, Scott Electronics PLC had placed little emphasis on innovation, preferring to make cheaper versions of its competitors' products, which explains why, according to appendix c, the average revenue spent on research and development for Scott Electronics PLC is 1%, compared with the industry average of of 10%, and also the average number of new products launched per year is 5, compared with the industry average of 15. If not enough money is spent on research and development, then it could result in the wrong products being released, which in turn, leads to a bad reputation, therefore decreasing customer satisfaction. This means that the demand for the phones will decrease, leading to less sales, and a lower profits.

Another possible issue is their current output. For example, the capacity utilisation for Scott Electronics is 90% compared with the industry average of 85%, which explains why Scott Electronics PLC defective products is 10%, compared with the industry average of 5%. If Scott Electronics PLC were to implement a strategy of innovation, then this would result in a higher demand, this would require the capacity utilisation to increase. This would result in more defective products being made, this would therefore require more raw materials, leading to higher unit costs, this will result in a lower contribution per item, and therefore, a higher breakeven output, this would mean that the profitability will decrease. (It was out of 10 marks)

Thankyou
Reply 104
Original post by jadder1224
Hey guys, me again.
I've done another past question from a BUSS3 paper. Please help me figure out what marks I would have achieved for my answer. Taken from the January 2012 paper (BUSS3)
Question 1:

One possible issue that Scott Electronics PLC would have to consider is their current investment in research and development. For example, Scott Electronics PLC had placed little emphasis on innovation, preferring to make cheaper versions of its competitors' products, which explains why, according to appendix c, the average revenue spent on research and development for Scott Electronics PLC is 1%, compared with the industry average of of 10%, and also the average number of new products launched per year is 5, compared with the industry average of 15. If not enough money is spent on research and development, then it could result in the wrong products being released, which in turn, leads to a bad reputation, therefore decreasing customer satisfaction. This means that the demand for the phones will decrease, leading to less sales, and a lower profits.

Another possible issue is their current output. For example, the capacity utilisation for Scott Electronics is 90% compared with the industry average of 85%, which explains why Scott Electronics PLC defective products is 10%, compared with the industry average of 5%. If Scott Electronics PLC were to implement a strategy of innovation, then this would result in a higher demand, this would require the capacity utilisation to increase. This would result in more defective products being made, this would therefore require more raw materials, leading to higher unit costs, this will result in a lower contribution per item, and therefore, a higher breakeven output, this would mean that the profitability will decrease. (It was out of 10 marks)

Thankyou

most likely 5/6. You're just stating data from the case study. Try to manipulate the data which will get you into the higher bands.
Original post by jadder1224
Hey guys, me again.
Question 1:

Thankyou

Ok, if you don't know who I am go back through the thread.
I got 100 ums on this paper.
You do not get marks for a definition in this paper. But it is good to include one don't just put a one line though. e.g
Innovation is defines as putting an idea into action and applying techniques to different market segments. The consequences (positive or negative) in regards to Scotts Electronics are...
Next, Give your point. Give a piece of data. The consequences of the point. How it is relevant to the question and how it will impact the business (If in the case it talks about some objectives in the past or future use them to your advantage. Use them here)
Evaluate as you go don't leave it until the end evaluate each point as you progress then at the end give another evaluation basically summing up your other evaluative points includes an it depends on point... and I believe the most important factor.

Good luck
Original post by Aidan.reed
Ok, if you don't know who I am go back through the thread.
I got 100 ums on this paper.
You do not get marks for a definition in this paper. But it is good to include one don't just put a one line though. e.g
Innovation is defines as putting an idea into action and applying techniques to different market segments. The consequences (positive or negative) in regards to Scotts Electronics are...
Next, Give your point. Give a piece of data. The consequences of the point. How it is relevant to the question and how it will impact the business (If in the case it talks about some objectives in the past or future use them to your advantage. Use them here)
Evaluate as you go don't leave it until the end evaluate each point as you progress then at the end give another evaluation basically summing up your other evaluative points includes an it depends on point... and I believe the most important factor.

Good luck

Wait, you don't have to include a conclusion for a 10 marker?
Original post by De Re Publica
Wait, you don't have to include a conclusion for a 10 marker?

I still did Not one at the end but evaluated through out. You should practise it because you should evaluate every point you make regardless of how many marks.
I still did Not one at the end but evaluated through out. You should practise it because you should evaluate every point you make regardless of how many marks.

But for 10 marks the specification only asks for: Knowledge, Application and Analysis
The two 18 markers and the 34 marker, however, asks for: Knowledge, Application, Analysis AND Evaluation.

So while you could add in some minimal evaluation for question one, there are no marks to be gained.
Original post by De Re Publica
But for 10 marks the specification only asks for: Knowledge, Application and Analysis
The two 18 markers and the 34 marker, however, asks for: Knowledge, Application, Analysis AND Evaluation.

So while you could add in some minimal evaluation for question one, there are no marks to be gained.

Pretty sure I said you should practise to evaluate through out for all Questions. Yes 10 marker doesn't in theory require an evaluation. But if you evaluate your points as you go it can be seen as more manipulation of the data in context of the business. But what do I know right? I didn't get an A* right? I didn't do this exam last year right?,Why ask fro help if you're not going to take it.
Reply 110
guys ive written a buss4 essay and was wondering if anyone will be willing to mark it providing feedback? I need as much help as I can get to achieve an A :frown:(((
Pretty sure I said you should practise to evaluate through out for all Questions. Yes 10 marker doesn't in theory require an evaluation. But if you evaluate your points as you go it can be seen as more manipulation of the data in context of the business. But what do I know right? I didn't get an A* right? I didn't do this exam last year right?,Why ask fro help if you're not going to take it.

How do you evaluate 10 markers? do you just counter argue your points at the end?
Original post by Raihan.
How do you evaluate 10 markers? do you just counter argue your points at the end?

No Evaluate Through out.
Your point
Evidence
Application
Evaluation - Say something like although this .... I feel IT depends on.. OR There are more pressing issues etc
Reply 113
Guys I need help. I'm in a really bad position and I haven't revised business all year and the exam is in 2 weeks!! How can I prepare really quickly? And learn everything in buss3 and buss4????
No Evaluate Through out.
Your point
Evidence
Application
Evaluation - Say something like although this .... I feel IT depends on.. OR There are more pressing issues etc

Thanks. Do you have any good theories I can use in my BUSS4 essays other than the usual ones in the textbooks?
Reply 115
Original post by SohaXO
Guys I need help. I'm in a really bad position and I haven't revised business all year and the exam is in 2 weeks!! How can I prepare really quickly? And learn everything in buss3 and buss4????

Business isn't too bad in the sense that it's not heavily knowledge based, especially unit 3. Just go straight into doing past papers and that will lead you into gaining the knowledge that you need to know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 116
Original post by gkgs
Business isn't too bad in the sense that it's not heavily knowledge based, especially unit 3. Just go straight into doing past papers and that will lead you into gaining the knowledge that you need to know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!!!! What about buss4???
http://www.tutor2u.net/business/series/buss4-section-a-2016-e-commerce

this is the absolute gold dust site (not just that page) for BUSS4 and 3 They also have some excellent revision materials which you can buy
What are the predications for the 14th June 2016 BUSS 3 AQA EXAMS?

I know last year it was on Payback Period and CPA (critical path analysis)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys just wondered if anyone is willing to tell me roughly what grade this 34 marker would be. It is from Buss3 Jan 2013.

Arguments for:
I think the strategy should go ahead as the digital magazine market is rapidly rising whereas the print magazine is declining, a predicted fall of £70 million between 2013 and 2015. This means that there is greater opportunity for increased sales in the digital market which is backed up by the forecasted number of women’s subscribers, rising from 3 million to 10 million between 2013 and 2015.This means that Roberts media can make an app which can be associated with the well-established print magazine. This should lead to increased brand loyalty and awareness which could lead to rising sales due to Roberts media’s strong reputation in the womens magazine market. This could mean that less is needed on spending for the promotional campaign which means Harry can adopt his low-cost strategy effectively by keeping costs low which could allow him to meet the corporate objective of reaching at least 8% ROCE by 2014 therefore the strategy could be deemed as a success therefore it should go ahead.

Another reason I think the strategy should go ahead Is because ROCE has fallen significantly from 10% to 2% between 2011 and 2012.This means that if Roberts media continues with its current strategy of print magazines then ROCE may fall further, especially as the market is declining.This is also backed up by the forecasted figures for ROCE in 2013, 2% for print and 4.5% for digital. This means that digital is more financially beneficial to Roberts Media and could cause ROCE to rise by 2.5% in one year. This means that the corporate objective could realistically be achieved by 2014 as the market for digital women’s magazines continues to grow. This could lead to increased sales which could increase profits which in turn may lead to an improved current ratio and a stronger financial position for the firm. This would mean that there is more finance available for future investments which could allow Roberts Media to generate future earnings as the digital market grows therefore possibly leading to increased long term profits which provides evidence for the strategy to go ahead.

Arguments against:
I don’t think the strategy should go ahead due to the significant effect on the HR department. This is because the proposed idea of making staff redundant leads to significant increases in short term costs. This also means that other employees may feel their job is under threat which could lead to low staff morale and higher levels of labour absenteeism. This could reduce labour productivity which may lead to lower levels of quality and customer service which may deter some customers and lead to reduced brand loyalty and the dilution of the luxury image of the magazine which could lead to lower sales. This may lead to a significant loss in advertising revenues which may lead to lower profits as luxury fashion houses move to competitors.This therefore could lead to a lower ROCE as business costs rise during the change from print to digital therefore limiting the possibility of achieving the corporate objective of reaching at least 8% ROCE by 2014 which provides evidence that the strategy should not go ahead.

Recommendation:
Overall I think the strategy should go ahead as it is the best course of action to Improve ROCE and therefore meet the corporate objective. This is because the digital magazine market is growing rapidly which provides Roberts Media significant opportunities for increased sales and profits. However Harry must try and appease the trade unions as the proposed strategy could lead to unhappy employees which may have detrimental effects on quality and customer service. This may deter new customers and weaken Roberts media’s existing customer base which could lead to reduced future sales and profits. This means harry must offer the Trade unions something so that industrial action is not taken, possibly reducing the number of jobs lost or consulting with them about the strategy rather than informing. However the long term benefits of exploiting the growing digital magazine market significantly outweigh the short term costs of job losses as seen by increases in the ROCE. Although these forecasts are based on market research with a small number of customers compared to the market size therefore this could be of poor quality as it may not represent the whole market which could lead to a too high price being set which could mean lower sales and lower ROCE than predicted. In contrast however the ROCE is 2.5% higher for digital than it would be for print therefore It provides evidence that the strategy should go ahead. Although the figures are provided by Harry therefore there could be biased which reduces the significance of these figures. Looking at both sides I think the strategy should go ahead as long as Robert’s Media can maintain effective cash flow during the early stages of the strategy as the financial position of the firm is not healthy.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending