Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good looking engineering student AMA watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadez)
    Thank you

Now I'm just sat here in the library on a sugar high of chocolate penguins and the euphoria of having finished it

btw matlab is really awesome albeit we are doing rather basic stuff
    Enjoy the high my friend! Do you have 9:00 am lectures/lab?
    And I have done some basic Matlab last year, it was okay. I don't hate it, so I guess I haven't done enough :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm kind of weird times for a report to be due in mine is due in 9 am

how long do you get to do your lab reports and how long are they supposed to be?

Well in chem eng thats like a minimum luckily there wasn't that much to talk about in this experiment but other ones .... they can go over 5-6k easy :laugh:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    behind that laughter is pain :cry2:
    Well there isnt a set lenght but mine are generally around 2k if I did it properly. If its rushed, its around 1.5k or just 1k.
    I honestly like can't see how it can reach 5k in first year...like.... unless it's filled with fluff lol

ReputationRep:
    MATLAB is love MATLAB is life
    **** matlab

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    Enjoy the high my friend! Do you have 9:00 am lectures/lab?
    And I have done some basic Matlab last year, it was okay. I don't hate it, so I guess I haven't done enough :lol:
    Yeah I have a 9 am start tomorrow however the probably of me waking up for that is approaching zero :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    Well there isnt a set lenght but mine are generally around 2k if I did it properly. If its rushed, its around 1.5k or just 1k.
    I honestly like can't see how it can reach 5k in first year...like.... unless it's filled with fluff lol
    introduction
    aims and objectives - about 1/2 a page
    theory about 1-2 page depends on the exp though
    relevance in industry - about half a page
    depends how many examples you can find

system and procedure - some demonstrators want you to describe the entire procedure those ones are a killer maybe 1-2 pages
    hazards - 1/2 page

results - observed data and

derived datathis takes up like 3-4 pages depending on you set it upcalculations - ooh this one is a killer you have to give a sample calculation of your working out so basically every single calculation you've done for the exp has to be shown for one examplediscussion takes like 1-2 pages
    errors - half page

conclusion half page yadayayaydyadyadydyaydaydyadyayd a

basically i wouldnt do it if it was fluff believe me im all for minimising fluff

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have a 9 am start tomorrow however the probably of me waking up for that is approaching zero :laugh:
    Hahaha, I have been there before :lol:
    I have C programming at 10, not so bad lol
    Sleep well

ReputationRep:
    introduction
    aims and objectives - about 1/2 a page
    theory about 1-2 page depends on the exp though
    relevance in industry - about half a page
    depends how many examples you can find

system and procedure - some demonstrators want you to describe the entire procedure those ones are a killer maybe 1-2 pages
    hazards - 1/2 page

results - observed data and

derived datathis takes up like 3-4 pages depending on you set it upcalculations - ooh this one is a killer you have to give a sample calculation of your working out so basically every single calculation you've done for the exp has to be shown for one examplediscussion takes like 1-2 pages
    errors - half page

conclusion half page yadayayaydyadyadydyaydaydyadyayd a

basically i wouldnt do it if it was fluff believe me im all for minimising fluff
    It seems like a lot of fluff to me.

The aims and objectives are usually just a few lines...you're not doing a doctoral thesis lol.
    Theory can be 1 page but not more. You dont have to write all that the textbook has to say on the topic.
    Relevance to industry can go in the discussion but I guess maybe chem engs do it differently
    I reduce long procedures into point form and make them a page max.
    I guess hazards would be a big deal for chem engs, we only had to do that when he did the material science module labs.
    Derived data?? Is that the equations you need to use to do the calculations? If its that why on earth does a lab report need derivations?

Why can't you just put 1 sample calculation and put the others in a table format?

My discussion is around that size too so I agree with that.

ReputationRep:
    It seems like a lot of fluff to me.

The aims and objectives are usually just a few lines...you're not doing a doctoral thesis lol.
    Theory can be 1 page but not more. You dont have to write all that the textbook has to say on the topic.
    Relevance to industry can go in the discussion but I guess maybe chem engs do it differently
    I reduce long procedures into point form and make them a page max.
    I guess hazards would be a big deal for chem engs, we only had to do that when he did the material science module labs.
    Derived data?? Is that the equations you need to use to do the calculations? If its that why on earth does a lab report need derivations?

Why can't you just put 1 sample calculation and put the others in a table format?

My discussion is around that size too so I agree with that.
    Theory is split into two parts on which is the general underlying principle behind the experiment and two the hypothesis aswell as the theory applied to your particular experiment so for me it does end up being quite long.

There isn't a set structure per say its just the recommended way for chem engers as first years to write it.

we are marked on it as if someone was to come along and read it would they be able to replicate the experiment themselves. So i dont feel comfortable with short bullet points since it feels like im missing something out

Because someone looking at the experimental data may not be able to understand where some of the data was produced from for example if if you measured the mass of an object as well as its acceleration and put in the observed data section and in the derived data section you put the force of that object (f=ma)
    and so since this example is simple it wouldnt really require much explaining however with more complex pheonomenas suddenly having measurements and dimensions pop up can be confusing and so they need explaining

and yeah hazards are a big deal lol wouldnt want a nuclear reactor blowing up now would we

yeah it is one sample calculation but it was to be from beginning to end so that the reader is able to derive any number that is produced in derived data

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    Hahaha, I have been there before :lol:
    I have C programming at 10, not so bad lol
    Sleep well
    you too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samharrison)
    gosh the egos of the internet heros you're average looking 19-20 year olds. How do you think humanity would continue if people didn't look ****able at your age?
    Someone doesn't understand satire :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    To be honest OP I think you're pretty good looking! 🙈 don't listen to all the haters!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    To be honest OP I think you're pretty good looking! 🙈 don't listen to all the haters!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aww thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aww thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha no probs 🙈
    What's it like at university? I'm hopefully starting this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha no probs 🙈
    What's it like at university? I'm hopefully starting this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The work is pretty intense but it's good socially + I like having the additional freedom.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Commit seppuku?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan. And Kel)
    AR_95 The Assassin Pimped Butterfly difeo

Thoughts on likelihood?

My proposal: 0
    concur, would rate pic at 5/10 with 9/10 likelihood of manlet status

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    concur, would rate pic at 5/10 with 9/10 likelihood of manlet status
    Lol what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username002)
    Commit seppuku?
    Huh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Huh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Google it genius...

ReputationRep:
    Engineering at university?

Bah, you don't need a degree to fix boilers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He is goodlooking, but TSR doesn't like people who feel good about themselves because you have to take part in the collective self-pitying virgin circlejerk

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.