The Student Room Group

World Twenty20 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by nucdev
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

It's true though. Every single thing that goes wrong in India is fuhrer Narendra Modi's fault. :colonhash:
Reply 101
Crikey.

What a start to the tournament.

I thought India would make short, short work of NZ after they were dismissed for around 120. I thought NZ made the right call in batting first, but spin was always going to decide the game on a pitch like that and the result justified Williamson's decision to field three spinners.

The pitch was crafted specifically for spinners, there's no denying that, but I won't criticise India for that. The groundsmen are well within their right to create and tailor a pitch as they see fit - but it's a shame that resulted in the Black Caps dropping a couple of the world's best seam bowlers.

Are NZ India's bogey team? The Kiwis are now 5-0 against them in T20s. Mitchell Santner was man of the match for me.
If Bangladesh beat Pakistan tomorrow then that big game on Saturday becomes even more high-stakes. Would kinda kill the mood if the hosts were out early but enough time to turn things round.
Reply 103
The more you analyse England vs. West Indies and the more it becomes clear: it's youth against experience.

The Windies have eight World Twenty20 winners in their ranks, the majority of their squad is over 30, while England have only Plunkett who has reached that age (and he won't even start tomorrow).

The only question for Eoin Morgan is whether he bowls Plunkett or David Willey, and I'm sure he'll opt for the latter after his nifty hat-trick in the final warm-up exhibition.

Chris Jordan is a fantastic death overs bowler and deserves to be in the side due to his fielding, while Adil Rashid and Moeen Ali will be crucial. I wouldn't actually mind Dawson being deployed as a third bowler, like Williamson opted for for NZ in their win over India today, but I doubt England - despite their effervescence and youthful positivity - are that brave.
Original post by Mackay
The more you analyse England vs. West Indies and the more it becomes clear: it's youth against experience.

The Windies have eight World Twenty20 winners in their ranks, the majority of their squad is over 30, while England have only Plunkett who has reached that age (and he won't even start tomorrow).

The only question for Eoin Morgan is whether he bowls Plunkett or David Willey, and I'm sure he'll opt for the latter after his nifty hat-trick in the final warm-up exhibition.

Chris Jordan is a fantastic death overs bowler and deserves to be in the side due to his fielding, while Adil Rashid and Moeen Ali will be crucial. I wouldn't actually mind Dawson being deployed as a third bowler, like Williamson opted for for NZ in their win over India today, but I doubt England - despite their effervescence and youthful positivity - are that brave.

I'm confident about tomorrow- more concerned about next Wednesday and the game v Afghanistan. After all, we have lost to the Netherlands at T20.
Reply 105
Original post by barnetlad
I'm confident about tomorrow- more concerned about next Wednesday and the game v Afghanistan. After all, we have lost to the Netherlands at T20.

Agreed.

The Windies could easily win tomorrow, owing to their experience, but we can't allow that to let us lose faith in the system, philosophy and infrastructure that Bayliss/Farbrace have given us.

By all accounts, the pitch tomorrow won't be a turner. The powerplay will be key in the majority of matches, but not those featuring the Windies because the talent they possess between numbers four and nine is pretty interchangeable. They have pinch hitters and tail enders capable of smashing it.

Sammy said today: "I look at our lower order and it always makes me smile."
Original post by nucdev
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lmao this is why I personally prefer Indian hockey - who they're playing, where they're playing; nobody knows and if they lose, nobody cares. :lol:

:lol: that's fair enough. Cricket over hockey though :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't even want to read any articles today after this performance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moment of truth
:lol: that's fair enough. Cricket over hockey though :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmao 'twas a joke - I agree with you btw :laugh:
Don't worry India. You just experienced a day in the life of the Pakistan Cricket Team :biggrin:
Don't even want to read any articles today after this performance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for India's performance but damn...kinda felt good too:tongue:

But bad too:colonhash:..good or bad? I dunno:s-smilie::colonhash: All cos of my Indian man:tongue:
Original post by Student403
Don't worry India. You just experienced a day in the life of the Pakistan Cricket Team :biggrin:

Yeah well hopefully it doesn't become a regular occurrence otherwise we may as well merge the India and Pak teams lol
Original post by nucdev
Yeah well hopefully it doesn't become a regular occurrence otherwise we may as well merge the India and Pak teams lol

I think we should in the first place! Pakistani bowling with Indian batting :yep:
Original post by Student403
I think we should in the first place! Pakistani bowling with Indian batting :yep:

Other way around surely - guaranteed loss every time. India will know how it feels as a regular thing and Pakistan will be right at home :tongue:
:lol: jk jk
Original post by nucdev
Other way around surely - guaranteed loss every time. India will know how it feels as a regular thing and Pakistan will be right at home :tongue:
:lol: jk jk

I actually can't deny that :lol:
Original post by BrokenLife
Sorry for India's performance but damn...kinda felt good too:tongue:

But bad too:colonhash:..good or bad? I dunno:s-smilie::colonhash: All cos of my Indian man:tongue:

I can understand that :tongue: excited for Pakistan vs Bangladesh tomorrow?

:lol:

Original post by Mackay
Crikey.

What a start to the tournament.

I thought India would make short, short work of NZ after they were dismissed for around 120. I thought NZ made the right call in batting first, but spin was always going to decide the game on a pitch like that and the result justified Williamson's decision to field three spinners.

The pitch was crafted specifically for spinners, there's no denying that, but I won't criticise India for that. The groundsmen are well within their right to create and tailor a pitch as they see fit - but it's a shame that resulted in the Black Caps dropping a couple of the world's best seam bowlers.

Are NZ India's bogey team? The Kiwis are now 5-0 against them in T20s. Mitchell Santner was man of the match for me.

India bowled pretty well and would have been really happy with 120. The batting fell apart from the get go. All of Dhawan, Sharma, Raina, Kohli (to some extent) gave their wicket away unnecessarily. Why Rohit Sharma had to advance to a spinner in like the 2nd or 3rd over of the game is a mystery, especially when it has been shown that it is a hard pitch to bat on.

I don't even understand why India would want spinning wickets cause we aren't even the best players of spin in the world, in my opinion. Time and time again we have prepared spinning wickets and lost, with the exception being the test series against SA. Pitches that spin a tiny bit are fair enough, but not those that are turning square. At least it was the first game and we still have time to get back into it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 116

India bowled pretty well and would have been really happy with 120. The batting fell apart from the get go. All of Dhawan, Sharma, Raina, Kohli (to some extent) gave their wicket away unnecessarily. Why Rohit Sharma had to advance to a spinner in like the 2nd or 3rd over of the game is a mystery, especially when it has been shown that it is a hard pitch to bat on.

I don't even understand why India would want spinning wickets cause we aren't even the best players of spin in the world, in my opinion. Time and time again we have prepared spinning wickets and lost, with the exception being the test series against SA. Pitches that spin a tiny bit are fair enough, but not those that are turning square. At least it was the first game and we still have time to get back into it.

Apparently the one for England and the Windies tomorrow won't be a turner, so that's a positive.

India were left down by the batting completely. It's amazing to think NZ gambled and it paid off so overtly. It was a brave call from Williamson to deploy all three spin options, and I'm unsure B-Mac would have ever made a call as bold as that.

Welcome to the world of the new Kiwis.
I can understand that :tongue: excited for Pakistan vs Bangladesh tomorrow?

:lol:

Hahaha can I just say I was just joking...my guy is Indian so I love India. :smile:

And well..us Pakistanis are used to everything now..if we win, we win, if not, tis okay. :biggrin:
Reply 118
Hypothetically, if Bangladesh manage to get something from this morning's match in Kolkata, Pakistan won't progress. I don't think India will lose any more games in the group stage (maybe to Australia, but that's a different matter entirely).
Pakistan have started their batting very strongly..

Quick Reply

Latest