The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Computing F453 Official Thread 22/06/2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

For the algorithm questions in f453, if you wrote the algorithm like it is in the mark scheme (the one on the left) is that sufficient to get full mark ?
Thanks
Untitled.png
Original post by Hooch Is Crazy
For the algorithm questions in f453, if you wrote the algorithm like it is in the mark scheme (the one on the left) is that sufficient to get full mark ?
Thanks
Untitled.png

Yes, full marks for anything that is along those lines.
Do any of you think that F453 is quite mundane in the sense that it is really the same thing asked each time? There seems to be little variation, whereas with F451/2 there seemed to be a lot more flexibility in what the examiner could throw at you. Just my opinion.
Original post by ExamBuddy101
Do any of you think that F453 is quite mundane in the sense that it is really the same thing asked each time? There seems to be little variation, whereas with F451/2 there seemed to be a lot more flexibility in what the examiner could throw at you. Just my opinion.

I agree, particularly with F452. I'd even argue F452 is a more difficult exam providing you've spent time learning the content for F453. I think for people who spend time doing past papers and learning the styles of questions OCR like to ask, you can do very well with minimal effort in comparison to other A levels.
Original post by ryanroks1
I agree, particularly with F452. I'd even argue F452 is a more difficult exam providing you've spent time learning the content for F453. I think for people who spend time doing past papers and learning the styles of questions OCR like to ask, you can do very well with minimal effort in comparison to other A levels.

Yes, you're right. Some of the markschemes for things like F453 can be almost identical in different years. Other times, the content can be different but if you include a bit of both you should be ok usually. How did you find the project or what way did you do it?
Original post by ExamBuddy101
Yes, you're right. Some of the markschemes for things like F453 can be almost identical in different years. Other times, the content can be different but if you include a bit of both you should be ok usually. How did you find the project or what way did you do it?

The amount of times I've recited "single control unit, use of fetch-execute cycle, program instructions and their data share same memory" for the question on features of von Neumann - it's crazy! :tongue:

I did a maths quiz-style game that got progressively harder as the user improved and wrote to and read their progress from an access database. Overall, it wasn't too bad - the bulk of the effort was screenshots and annotations so tedious more than anything! How did you find yours, what did you do? :smile:
The amount of times I've recited "single control unit, use of fetch-execute cycle, program instructions and their data share same memory" for the question on features of von Neumann - it's crazy! :tongue:

I did a maths quiz-style game that got progressively harder as the user improved and wrote to and read their progress from an access database. Overall, it wasn't too bad - the bulk of the effort was screenshots and annotations so tedious more than anything! How did you find yours, what did you do? :smile:

For that very reason, F453 is hard to revise haha .. Too dry!

I done a college applications program where the college wanted to turn a paper-based system into a computerised one. We used Pascal in Lazarus to code, wbu? Yes, that's very true. Feel sorry for the moderators who have a page of almost identical screenshots ..
Hi guys, I know this isn't about F453 but I'm retaking F452 and I'm not sure if we're allowed a calculator or not :/
I vaguely remember using a calculator last year as you need to do Data Size calculations but on the front page of the answer booklet it doesn't mention calculators :frown:
Original post by TheLazyKid
Hi guys, I know this isn't about F453 but I'm retaking F452 and I'm not sure if we're allowed a calculator or not :/
I vaguely remember using a calculator last year as you need to do Data Size calculations but on the front page of the answer booklet it doesn't mention calculators :frown:

Yep, you're allowed one. You're actually allowed to use one in any exam unless it mentions it's prohibited. :smile:
Yep, you're allowed one. You're actually allowed to use one in any exam unless it mentions it's prohibited. :smile:

Ah ok thanks :smile:
Anyone tried 2009 f452 papers?

Any predictions for paper on Tuesday?
Original post by MrSplash

Yes and no.

Yeah I've done both 2009 papers and they seemed ok. Grade boundaries were really high though, I think for Jan 2009 it was 83 for an A!
I think Tuesday's paper is going to be relatively easy (based on how easy F451 was as I retook that as well). However, have a feeling grade boundaries are going to be VERY high :frown:
Original post by TheLazyKid
Yeah I've done both 2009 papers and they seemed ok. Grade boundaries were really high though, I think for Jan 2009 it was 83 for an A!
I think Tuesday's paper is going to be relatively easy (based on how easy F451 was as I retook that as well). However, have a feeling grade boundaries are going to be VERY high :frown:

No year 12 to bring the boundaries down since its a legacy paper :/ Probably going to mean very high and close grade boundaries...
Original post by Aydin7
No year 12 to bring the boundaries down since its a legacy paper :/ Probably going to mean very high and close grade boundaries...

They cant possibly change radically.... is that even allowed, last year it was 66 for an A
They cant possibly change radically.... is that even allowed, last year it was 66 for an A

From what I know, the ums conversions are set yearly to ensure that grade distribution is similar each year(e.g. 10-20% or something to get an A). They are based on performance of the candidates and difficulty of the paper.
Original post by AKC...
Hiya can anyone explain how Case-select statements are done in pseudocode? Thanks!

Have a look at question 4F on the June 2014 past paper.
Does anybody think there is anything that has not been asked in past papers, that may come up?
Original post by ryandaniels2015
Does anybody think there is anything that has not been asked in past papers, that may come up?

Activity networks don't tend to appear frequently, as do a few of the other UML diagrams so it might be worth focusing on those. Other than that, almost all topic areas seem to have been covered in varying depth throughout the specification so far, so providing you've got to grips with all the past papers, it's unlikely you'll have any significant problems.
Are there any resources that arrange every past paper question by topic for F453- this would be really useful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending