Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lara Logan decides to speak about her attack in Tahrir Square Watch

ReputationRep:
    Quite strange the responses this thread got in comparision to this one:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3926655
    The most vocal users posting here were no where to be seen on the other thread hmmmm :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    There is a culture of harassing women (sometimes only when they don't cover) in Muslim countries. Are even following the thread?

She told it.
    I am following the thread and no one mentioned religion. Quite a lot of anti-Arab rhetoric though and scholars of the Middle East treating the entire region like it is one country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IESY)
    Quite strange the responses this thread got in comparision to this one:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3926655
    The most vocal users posting here were no where to be seen on the other thread hmmmm :rolleyes:
    Clearly you are too thick to identify PATTERNS in migrant attacks. clearly you are too thick to account for PROPORTION in migrant sexual assaults.

Learn those key words, I have highlighted them for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EccentricDiamond)
    Clearly you are too thick to identify PATTERNS in migrant attacks. clearly you are too thick to account for PROPORTION migrant sexual assaults.

Seems like ive struck a nerve eh?

ReputationRep:
    Clearly you are too thick to identify PATTERNS in migrant attacks. clearly you are too thick to account for PROPORTION migrant sexual assaults.

And the attacks in prison camps abroad? Are they representative of all White men? Keep in mind that these are countries where the honour culture prevents lots of women from reporting rapes to begin with.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...e-9849305.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IESY)
    Seems like ive struck a nerve eh?
    Is that seriously your only retort?

ReputationRep:
    Is that seriously your only retort?
    Better than you resorting to personal insults

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    And the attacks in prison camps abroad? Are they representative of all White men? Keep in mind that these are countries where the honour culture prevents lots of women from reporting rapes to begin with.

Where did I say rape is and sexual assault is representative of all migrants? Please quote me where I said that?

And for the record there is no vast swarms of white Europeans committing rapes in foreign lands in a massive scale so you story is no comparison

ReputationRep:
    Where did I say rape is and sexual assault is representative of all migrants? Please quote me where I said that?

And for the record there is no vast swarms of white Europeans committing rapes in foreign lands in a massive scale so you story is no comparison
    There hundreds of uninvestigated abuse cases by those who should be abiding by International Humanitarian Law. And this is despite that most of the women there would not report it for fear of bringing shame onto their families, and that these things are generally hushed up. Does that justify generalisations yet? There is also a disproportionately high number of women in the armed forces who are raped by fellow soldiers.

You said it was typical of Arabs, same thing.

ReputationRep:

You're comparing war crimes with acts committed by civilians. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    You're comparing war crimes with acts committed by civilians. :facepalm:
    Exactly, in war there is an additional responsibility by the occupying power to protect civilians of the occupied state so one could say that it is worse.

One could say that, but to me a crime is a crime.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever politically weighted, diluted, cultural relativist garbage you were taught at school, it is overwhelmingly evident that Muslim countries have an immense difference in attitudes towards women and how men should and do behave towards them! There are numerous examples, the vast many of course are not even publicised, for duplicitous political reasons. Remember the Libyan soldiers in Bassingbourne Barracks recently on a routine good will British Army training course. During their stay they thought it okay to violently rape both female and male locals. The Christian Polish girl working in the migrant centre in Sweden who was murdered by a 6'2" Somalian male claiming to be only 15. The 10 year old boy raped in a public indoor swimming pool changing cubicle in Vienna, his injuries so bad he was hospitalised and has recurring nightmares of the horror according to his grieving Mother. After raping the boy the 20 year old man continued swimming and was seen repeatedly climbing and diving off the diving board as if nothing at all had happened. In court the man's defence was that 'it was a sexual emergency'. The list goes on and on. The Lara Logan gang rape and numerous other rapes in the square on women that same night are the most violent and vile.

What is the common denominator? Cultural attitudes which accept violent unconsensual sex!

Where do these disgusting attitudes come from do you think?
    The moral code of one's culture that one is raised on.

Where does this moral belief system originate?
    Ockham's Razor is the clue! The Islamic religious teaching. Rather than teach a spiritual objective of advancing from animalistic carnal behaviour, it ingratiates it, thus giving males a disturbing holy licence to feed their lusts. Thus keeping womenhood as the sexual footstool of the male, and keeping men psychologically and physically as predatory beasts without natural compassion for those who they prey on.

I cannot conceive of the ugliness that is going on in the mind of anyone who wishes to harm a woman with such brutal discompassionate regard as if she were some sort of rag doll for the abuse of males. It is utterly abhorrent to my sensibilities, completely unjustifiable and has no place in the civilised Christian West. I was raised to be a gentleman!! To hell with rapist scum, the lowest form of life. They know nothing at all about what it is to be a good humane person, a mature socially well-adjusted male. It's a social nightmare and tragedy for all victims.

ReputationRep:
    And you do realise that not every country in the Middle East has the same culture, don't you?
    Yes, but Islamic culture underpins it all.
    And the attacks in prison camps abroad? Are they representative of all White men? Keep in mind that these are countries where the honour culture prevents lots of women from reporting rapes to begin with.http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...e-9849305.html
    This is true, there is an issue with abuse of power in the military. But should we treat them all as individual incidents and completely ignore any underlying causes or relationships between the incidents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    This whole thread is full of anti Arab rhetoric which has increased this past year on TSR.
    Probably relates to the reported sexual assaults in Cologne, in Sweden and elsewhere. Especially, reports of 'taharrush gamea' being imported from Arab countries?

Given the media, by their own admission, tend to downplay these things if possible, people on social media/forums are probably on high alert and concerned about what's going on.

I've never been to the Middle East so was interested to read about your experiences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    Yes, but Islamic culture underpins it all.

This is true, there is an issue with abuse of power in the military. But should we treat them all as individual incidents and completely ignore any underlying causes or relationships between the incidents?
    Islam is not a culture, and while most inhabitants in the region are Muslims, it is not practiced equally from country to country so it makes no sense to treat Middle Eastern countries like they are all one. For an example the Jordanian constitution says nothing about Shari'ah and a number of ME countries derive their laws from sources other than Islam.

That wasn't the point I was making, rather that no one would even think to use these abuses to generalise everyone in the British/US military, so what makes them think that it's OK to do it to Arabs? I can think of a couple of reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi019)
    Probably relates to the reported sexual assaults in Cologne, in Sweden and elsewhere. Especially, reports of 'taharrush gamea' being imported from Arab countries?

Given the media, by their own admission, tend to downplay these things if possible, people on social media/forums are probably on high alert and concerned about what's going on.

I've never been to the Middle East so was interested to read about your experiences.
    My experiences of being in the Middle East have been very pleasant. I dressed however I liked,In a modest sense and have never experienced any form of sexual harassment even when I was out late at night/early hours of the morning.

ReputationRep:
    Islam is not a culture, and while most inhabitants in the region are Muslims, it is not practiced equally from country to country so it makes no sense to treat Middle Eastern countries like they are all one. For an example the Jordanian constitution says nothing about Shari'ah and a number of ME countries derive their laws from sources other than Islam.

That wasn't the point I was making, rather that no one would even think to use these abuses to generalise everyone in the British/US military, so what makes them think that it's OK to do it to Arabs? I can think of a couple of reasons.
    You are correct. No middle eastern country is identical,they all have their own rules and different cultural aspects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    I suggest you read a book called "A God Who Hates" by Wafa Sultan as brave a woman as you will ever come across .
    She will give you a better insight to the mentality of men in Arab culture towards women.
    I'm currently reading the book and all I can say is massive respect to her for being so brave.

It pretty much confirmed the mentality of men in Arab culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    I'm currently reading the book and all I can say is massive respect to her for being so brave.

what do you mean by this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)

It is a shocking good read and does highlight the issue with this culture with regard to it's treatment of women

It should be recommended reading for everyone going on holiday to these places

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.