Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UNPOPULAR OPINION: Slut shaming can be justified watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    So, what, you'd just rather laugh at them than avoid using a word that isn't necessary for general conversation?

If someone has a psychological reaction to the word 'the' then there's a problem there that needs to be worked through. If someone has a psychological reaction to people literally unnecessarily insulting them with the express intention of wanting to cause psychological harm, maybe the people calling women 'sluts' need to take a look at their own behaviour.
    I simply believe in a "live and let live" approach to life, but it works both ways. They're free to do whatever I want, and equally I'm free to hold and express whatever opinion of them that I want.

If they claim that my opinion causes them psychological harm, I can just as easily claim that their behaviour causes me psychological harm. Anyone can claim they are psychologically harmed by anything.

Most people manage to take insults without any severe impact upon their mental health, and so if someone is genuinely unable to do this, they are the one with the problem and they are the one who needs to seek psychiatric help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    They can, but it's up to everyone to use good judgement on whether someone is fudging the system or telling the truth.
    I don't think it necessarily matters whether they're telling the truth or not. Even if they are psychologically harmed by my expression of my opinion, it's their problem and they need to seek psychiatric help for it, rather than attempting to censor me.

Just as, if I claimed that I was psychologically harmed by knowing that someone else is engaging in promiscuous behaviour, I doubt they would stop just for me. They'd say "it's your problem, not mine" and not let it affect them.

ReputationRep:
    Slut shaming is never justified. Only a prude has any issue with how much sex someone else has. You do you, let them do them. Sex is great and there is no reason you shouldn't have as much as you want.

Cheating is a bad thing, making a fool of yourself is a bad thing. But these are entirely separate things.

ReputationRep:
    Time spent on affairs/seedy matters is time diverted away from helping the poor, educating oneself and generally practising good dawah. I would also be extremely wary of professionals like GPs, solicitors and bank clerks engaging in immorality because if they cannot maintain integrity in their personal life it also likely that they will be corruptible in their professional one also. Plus its an ugly way of life unbefitting of respectable professionals of that ilk; if they were in marketing or something then engaging in filth perhaps wouldn't be that surprising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoralRenaissance)
    Time spent on affairs/seedy matters is time diverted away from helping the poor, educating oneself and generally practising good dawah. I would also be extremely wary of professionals like GPs, solicitors and bank clerks engaging in immorality because if they cannot maintain integrity in their personal life it also likely that they will be corruptible in their professional one also. Plus its an ugly way of life unbefitting of respectable professionals of that ilk; if they were in marketing or something then engaging in filth perhaps wouldn't be that surprising.
    You are making the rookie error of linking the word "filth" to "corrupt".

If you go around the world the most corrupt individuals/states (where its a way of life) are the ones with the most repressive sex lifes.

As a rational person, taking into account that correlation does not always imply causation, why on earth are you linking sex and corruption when all the evidence from around the world is that a lack of illicit sex correlates to corruption?

If you are TRUELY worried about corruption surely you should encourage people to be more openly sluttie?

This word is where true corruption exists: "baksheesh"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoralRenaissance)
    Time spent on affairs/seedy matters is time diverted away from helping the poor, educating oneself and generally practising good dawah.
    So is sleeping, pooping, cooking, eating, gaming....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianMcEgg)
    If someone thinks it's acceptable to sleep with who ever the hell they want and/or show lack of self respect by posting obscene pictures of themselves then they deserved to be named and shamed. I don't care whether you're male or female, if you think it's acceptable to sleep with who you want you deserve to be slut shamed.

A) no I'm not saying you can't take obscene photos of yourself
    B) no I'm not saying you can't sleep with people, but if you're sleeping with like 10 people then that's a bit excessive

This is a discussion so if you disagree, please say why and refrain from insulting me(or each other) because if we do this thread will go down more quickly than the titanic.
    You haven't justified anything. All you've done is restate an irrational, offensive prejudice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am not a fan of sluts but "naming and shaming" sounds like it's going too far. If you want to insult or criticise someone that's fine but there's a line between that and making hitlists, stalking, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    So, what, you'd just rather laugh at them than avoid using a word that isn't necessary for general conversation?

If someone has a psychological reaction to the word 'the' then there's a problem there that needs to be worked through. If someone has a psychological reaction to people literally unnecessarily insulting them with the express intention of wanting to cause psychological harm, maybe the people calling women 'sluts' need to take a look at their own behaviour.
    What do you mean by 'psychological reaction'? Laughter is a psychological reaction.

Psychological harm is another matter, but if you can find someone who has been psychologically harmed by being called a slut (aside from cases of sustained verbal abuse, which is more a matter of harrassment/bullying than the term itself) then I'm all ears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianMcEgg)
    If someone thinks it's acceptable to sleep with who ever the hell they want and/or show lack of self respect by posting obscene pictures of themselves then they deserved to be named and shamed. I don't care whether you're male or female, if you think it's acceptable to sleep with who you want you deserve to be slut shamed.

A) no I'm not saying you can't take obscene photos of yourself
    B) no I'm not saying you can't sleep with people, but if you're sleeping with like 10 people then that's a bit excessive

This is a discussion so if you disagree, please say why and refrain from insulting me(or each other) because if we do this thread will go down more quickly than the titanic.
    I understand why you might feel this way, but, needless to say, you are on the wrong side of history.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to interject something her that will probably result in many people saying I'm a sour prude who can't get any, but here goes anyways.

I do think sleeping around is morally wrong, largely because of the hurt it often causes others. Sex within a relationship, whether it's a monogamous one, polyamorous, hetero, homo, whatever, in my experience normally has numerically less, or a less severe, emotional effect on potentially both the participants, and those close to them, than strings of one night stands and hookups.

Now you could argue that it's the problem of those who get hurt, and I could see that point of view, but I have a horribly logical mind when it comes to the sacrifice of individuals for the benefit of society (maybe I have a bit of vulcan in me somewhere ) and to me the potential for emotional pain by anyone, weighed against the hour of pleasure is not a reasonable trade.

Now I wouldn't shame sluts. I might openly criticise them if it was bought up, but if they want to go sleeping around then they should be able to take it, and I hope give a reasonable counter-argument as to why they don't see an issue with it.

ReputationRep:
    AGREE!!!!!!!!! A man and woman can be sluts. The fact is if you have lots of casual sex you are a slut.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.