Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would Leicester winning the title be the biggest surprise in football history? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    What will be s bigger suprise.

LEI winning the league or Man city winning the Champions League?
    One of them is almost a certainty, the other would be a minor miracle.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Andy Carroll going to the Euros would eclipse anything else I've seen this season.

ReputationRep:
    It is almost set in stone England will carry 5 strikers to the euros.

It is a definite (assuming no freak injury until the euros)

Vardy, Kane, Welbeck and Sturridge all have a place in the euros in ascending order.

One question I have is what will the situation be for Sterling,Townsend and Walcott who will go as Wingers.Midfield places will be subject to availability. Who do we think will make it?

And lastly, my biggest question, please guys I'd really like to hear your responses.

Rooney or Carroll?

Before Saturday, I would've said Rooney every time. But I'm really not to sure. Carroll offers a new game strategy for England with his aerial strength and old-fashioned rugged style. He would be perfect for them extra time situations, when we desperately need a goal and playing it on the ground is no longer an option. He's also extremely clinical.

It's seems traditionally Rooney has always been a first name on the team sheet to any international tournament irrespective of what he has done that season. And rarely anyone argued against this. But right now, I don't know if he's worthy enough to enter the squad? What will he bring to this England side that we don't have already if not in abundance? Should he just go because he is "Rooney"?

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion Carroll has one great game and now everyone is saying he could be in the England squad Carroll is injury prone and inconsistent and can be a liability at times if he wants to get in the England squad he needs to show he can play as he against arsenal every game and Rooney has not earned a starting position for the euros as vardy and Kane have been better this season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baz1000)
    It is almost set in stone England will carry 5 strikers to the euros.

It is a definite (assuming no freak injury until the euros)

Vardy, Kane, Welbeck and Sturridge all have a place in the euros in ascending order.

One question I have is what will the situation be for Sterling,Townsend and Walcott who will go as Wingers.Midfield places will be subject to availability. Who do we think will make it?

And lastly, my biggest question, please guys I'd really like to hear your responses.

Rooney or Carroll?

Before Saturday, I would've said Rooney every time. But I'm really not to sure. Carroll offers a new game strategy for England with his aerial strength and old-fashioned rugged style. He would be perfect for them extra time situations, when we desperately need a goal and playing it on the ground is no longer an option. He's also extremely clinical.

It's seems traditionally Rooney has always been a first name on the team sheet to any international tournament irrespective of what he has done that season. And rarely anyone argued against this. But right now, I don't know if he's worthy enough to enter the squad? What will he bring to this England side that we don't have already if not in abundance? Should he just go because he is "Rooney"?
    Rooney without a doubt. He has the experience, as on-form as the likes of Vardy and Kane are, you need Rooney. He'd be on the bench for me, however he must go to the Euro's.

If Carroll can continue scoring goals until the end of the season, I'd pick him ahead of Sturridge. Vardy and Kane are 100% guaranteed bar injury and Welbeck always plays well for England (+ a hard worker). Sturridge however, injury prone and hasn't been at his best since coming back from injury. If they both suddenly find form I'd take Carroll, just because he'd bring something different compared to the other strikers.

As for the three wingers you mentioned, none deserve to be taken. However Walcott is the most experienced and of the three, most likely to score a couple of goals. His problem is that he wants to be a centre forward which he isn't. If he puts his mind to being a winger and staying a winger for the foreseeable future, he may improve. Lately he doesn't track back enough and always ends up in the centre forward position even though he should be out wide (I'm a Gooner, always watch the games).

On a more positive note, the England team that played against Germany is almost the perfect one. The only changes I'd make, bring on Drinkwater for Henderson, obviously Hart in Goal and Vardy for Lallana.

................Hart
    Clyne Cahill Smalling Rose
    ....... Drinkwater Dier..........
    ......Vardy Alli Welbeck.......
    ...............Kane............. ......

With the front 4 given the freedom to interchange with each other. The formation could also be tweaked (diamond shape) so that Vardy and Kane both stay up front.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Optimum_)
    Rooney without a doubt. He has the experience, as on-form as the likes of Vardy and Kane are, you need Rooney. He'd be on the bench for me, however he must go to the Euro's.

If Carroll can continue scoring goals until the end of the season, I'd pick him ahead of Sturridge. Vardy and Kane are 100% guaranteed bar injury and Welbeck always plays well for England (+ a hard worker). Sturridge however, injury prone and hasn't been at his best since coming back from injury. If they both suddenly find form I'd take Carroll, just because he'd bring something different compared to the other strikers.

As for the three wingers you mentioned, none deserve to be taken. However Walcott is the most experienced and of the three, most likely to score a couple of goals. His problem is that he wants to be a centre forward which he isn't. If he puts his mind to being a winger and staying a winger for the foreseeable future, he may improve. Lately he doesn't track back enough and always ends up in the centre forward position even though he should be out wide (I'm a Gooner, always watch the games).

On a more positive note, the England team that played against Germany is almost the perfect one. The only changes I'd make, bring on Drinkwater for Henderson, obviously Hart in Goal and Vardy for Lallana.

................Hart
    Clyne Cahill Smalling Rose
    ....... Drinkwater Dier..........
    ......Vardy Alli Welbeck.......
    ...............Kane............. ......

With the front 4 given the freedom to interchange with each other. The formation could also be tweaked (diamond shape) so that Vardy and Kane both stay up front.
    Cheers for that! I definitely see your point about why Rooney should go. I agree to Lallana and Henderson being surplus to requirements in the team sheet too. It's interesting how Sterling hasn't really been mentioned much in anyones starting 11, considering he was England's best player in the world cup. His form has dipped since then though. But Walcott over Sterling hmmmmm and I'm a United fan by the way
    Also what about Fabien Delph and Jack Wilshere, with those two around Henderson and Lallana should never ever be in the picture?

This is what I would love to see, slightly similiar to yours. But 433 and I would love Terry and a fit Luke Shaw, but you can't have everything! Hahahaha

..........Hart

Clyne Terry Smalling Shaw
    ...............Dier............. .
    Wilshere.......Alli
    Vardy Kane Welbeck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baz1000)
    Cheers for that! I definitely see your point about why Rooney should go. I agree to Lallana and Henderson being surplus to requirements in the team sheet too. It's interesting how Sterling hasn't really been mentioned much in anyones starting 11, considering he was England's best player in the world cup. His form has dipped since then though. But Walcott over Sterling hmmmmm and I'm a United fan by the way
    Also what about Fabien Delph and Jack Wilshere, with those two around Henderson and Lallana should never ever be in the picture?

This is what I would love to see, slightly similiar to yours. But 433 and I would love Terry and a fit Luke Shaw, but you can't have everything! Hahahaha

..........Hart

Clyne Terry Smalling Shaw
    ...............Dier............. .
    Wilshere.......Alli
    Vardy Kane Welbeck
    I do like Shaw, however Rose this season has been consistently good (I know I'm an Arsenal fan, truth hurts... it really does). I'd want Terry as well, but his days in an England shirt are over. As for Delph, he hasn't played enough for City to warrant a call in my books. Wilshere, I'm a big fan and if he can get back to his best he will certainly be on the flight to France. His problem is similar to Delph, not enough time on the pitch.

If they can both get some game time (I know Wilshere is injured but I think he should be back soon) and get consistent first team football, they should both go. But I doubt that will happen.

Sterling, he can be unplayable at times however this season from what I've seen, he is just not with it. Not playing like he did at the WC or for Liverpool. Disappointing really, I think everyone knew what would happen once he forced a move to City.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Shaw won't be match fit for the Euros. Would be utterly stupid rushing him back when Rose & Bertrand are perfectly capable replacements.

Reckon it'll be this, assuming there are no injuries.

Hart, Forster, Heaton
    Clyne, Stones, Smalling, Cahill, Jagielka, Bertrand, Rose
    Dier, Wilshere, Barkley, Alli, Drinkwater, Milner, Sterling, Lallana
    Kane, Sturridge, Welbeck, Vardy, Rooney

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.