Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I can't listen, it's too cringy.
    'The EU are making us follow all these horrible laws'
    'Which laws in particular do you disagree with?'
    'Umm all these bad laws yeah '

According to the op, it's abhorrent that the European Union ensures that we have safe lifts, oh how awful!!
    We need out freedom to have unsafe lifts back!

I was initially unsure about the eu and even considered voting out, but just seeing the arguments put forward by the out campaign was enough to convince me otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    'The EU are making us follow all these horrible laws'
    'Which laws in particular do you disagree with?'
    'Umm all these bad laws yeah '

According to the op, it's abhorrent that the European Union ensures that we have safe lifts, oh how awful!!
    We need out freedom to have unsafe lifts back!

I was initially unsure about the eu and even considered voting out, but just seeing the arguments put forward by the out campaign was enough to convince me otherwise.
    What about the EU being undemocratic element / argument?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    What about the EU being undemocratic element / argument?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a fair argument and the most convincing for leaving.

But arguing that we should leave because the eu makes sure we have safe lifts and hygienic food, is ridiculous.
    The op argued that all these health and safety regulations are harming small businesses, yet when I asked him to name a single one he couldn't, then he brought up the fact that they make us have safe lifts...

ReputationRep:
    That's a fair argument and the most convincing for leaving.

But arguing that we should leave because the eu makes sure we have safe lifts and hygienic food, is ridiculous.
    The op argued that all these health and safety regulations are harming small businesses, yet when I asked him to name a single one he couldn't, then he brought up the fact that they make us have safe lifts...
    I'm genuinely hoping your opinion on whether to 'stay' or 'leave' is not based on people like the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    I'm genuinely hoping your opinion on whether to 'stay' or 'leave' is not based on people like the OP.
    It's not, but it highlights the dishonesty and sensationalism of a lot of the out campaign.
    They love throwing words like 'red tape' and 'regulations' around yet when I ask them to name a single regulation or bit of red tape they disagree with, they very often cannot.

ReputationRep:
    It's not, but it highlights the dishonesty and sensationalism of a lot of the out campaign.
    They love throwing words like 'red tape' and 'regulations' around yet when I ask them to name a single regulation or bit of red tape they disagree with, they very often cannot.
    "We should leave the eu because i dont care if lifts are safe or not" is hardly a good campaign slogan.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree but this is the case on both sides of the campaign (I grant the 'other' camp is not in discussion here but making a general observation as well).

I found that doing my own research helped far more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    I agree but this is the case on both sides of the campaign (I grant the 'other' camp is not in discussion here but making a general observation as well).

I found that doing my own research helped far more.
    Im not an economist, so the economic case is slightly lost on me. But yes, your own research is a very good way to go about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Im not an economist, so the economic case is slightly lost on me. But yes, your own research is a very good way to go about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Indeed, the economical side did get a bit tedious at times (as someone who is reading economic history I should be able to understand it but that's another topic all together ).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    Hmm, I'm still not convinced you have your facts in order. The legislation you site is, rightly so, concerned with a definition of "sound, fair and of marketable quality"; this does allow for misshapen products depending on the 'class' of the product. It seems that many supermarkets just choose to sell 'Extra class' products but are in no way forced to.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Anyone who has been to Aldi would know this.
    Of course, I don't expect you to change your opinion on leaving the EU based on this one factor, but saying "supermarkets cannot sell slightly misfigured fruit or vegetables" doesn't seem to be true.
    In all honesty I am no expert on this subject. If you have any definitive proof of your claim I am more than happy to say I'm wrong.
    There is no regulation on bendy fruit and veg. It's supermarket policy, in addition to the cheaper supermarkets, when there's bad harvests, the rules get relaxed and you get more mishapen veg in tescos etc. Stick to your guns bro

Also lol at the farming argument, it'll be a nail in the coffin of the British farming industry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    There is no regulation on bendy fruit and veg. It's supermarket policy, in addition to the cheaper supermarkets, when there's bad harvests, the rules get relaxed and you get more mishapen veg in tescos etc. Stick to your guns bro

Also lol at the farming argument, it'll be a nail in the coffin of the British farming industry
    The irony of being told this by a cucumber is not lost on me.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    The irony of being told this by a cucumber is not lost on me.
    My uncle was a curly cucumber. He ended up in landfill. RIP Uncle Emotional Cucumber :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    There's going to be dumb arguments from both sides, and I don't think your sample is at all representative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    There's going to be dumb arguments from both sides, and I don't think your sample is at all representative.
    Indeed. But this is a thread about quizzing a eurosceptic and his argument for leaving the European Union is that it makes us have safe lifts...

The democratic deficit is a valid objection to the EU, the fact they give us safe lifts is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    After seeing the other " ask a " threads ( credit where it is due ) I decided to create one . I'm a eurosceptic and right wing

So ask me anything !
    Are you socially conservative? What is your position on gay rights / marriage?

And what are your views on foreign policy? Are you in favour or opposed to interventions generally? What are your views of the US/UK alliance?

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. But this is a thread about quizzing a eurosceptic and his argument for leaving the European Union is that it makes us have safe lifts...

The democratic deficit is a valid objection to the EU, the fact they give us safe lifts is not.
    Indeed. There are a few areas where I'm quite grateful that we are under the EU aegis.

For example, genetically modified food is illegal in the European Union, whereas GM food is ubiquitous in the American market (most breakfast cereals in America are GM). Meat glue (look it up, it's foul) is illegal in the EU. Also the European Union has quite good rules on data protection, on requiring websites to warn of cookies, and a few other areas.

There are EU consumer rights for electronic purchases that give you the right to cancel the transaction. And of course the UK didn't even have paid holidays before this became a European Union requirement. There are also numerous employment rights that come from the European Union (for example, TUPE rules)

There are countless areas where I doubt the UK would have bothered to legislate to protect ui

ReputationRep:
    Back in the good old days, you could make lifts out of cardboard and sellotape, and everyone would break their legs and it was fine until those bloody bureaucrats came along a d ruined everything. You used to be able to put your toaster in your bathroom and now they're saying no, what if a Bulgarian immigrant sees it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Under EU regulations supermarkets cannot sell slightly misfigured fruit or vegetables .... Seems a waste to me .....
    Actually it was the supermarkets themselves who were doing that. Now Asda have started selling them and they want a medal for it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.