Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

National Union of Students elects Malia Bouattia as president. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Well a lot of wealthy people, and those in positions of authority, were Jews in Germany between unification and Hitler taking the premiership. Obviously the stats were wrong, but there was however a trend.
    A trend towards what? And what is your source for your claims about the predominance of Jewish people in positions of authority in post-WW1 Germany?

I was stating it in a way to show how people viewed Jewish people in 20th Cent. Germany. I don't like twisting it to suit my own views or opinions. Plus I never referred to myself in the explanation
    I'm sorry but your responses come across as evasive, and your claim above seem to be muddying the waters even more.

ReputationRep:
    She's not black though, how can she claim to be black wtf is this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    This is the best result possible, the NUS will now fall even faster than previously predicted. We are already seeing universities calling for disaffiliation. It hasn't even been a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't really keep up with these sort of events, but I've got an honest question and I want an honest answer, be frank and blunt if you have to.

Is the NUS facing a backlash because their newly elected president is a Muslim or because she's too much of a leftist? To me, it seems the latter but what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happy97)
    I don't really keep up with these sort of events, but I've got an honest question and I want an honest answer, be frank and blunt if you have to.

Is the NUS facing a backlash because their newly elected president is a Muslim or because she's too much of a leftist? To me, it seems the latter but what do you think?
    It is because she is a ****ing nutter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeastOfSyracuse)
    A trend towards what? And what is your source for your claims about the predominance of Jewish people in positions of authority in post-WW1 Germany?

I'm sorry but your responses come across as evasive, and your claim above seem to be muddying the waters even more.
    When you inform in history you don't let your opinion/views impact what you're trying to say. Hence why you tell it as it was back in the day, and why you presumed I was anti-semitic. But it should have been obvious really since it wasn't written in first person.

"Strangely enough, in a book unexpectedly published by Princeton University Press in 1984, Sarah Gordon (Hitler, Germans and the "Jewish Question") essentially confirms what Bryant says. According to her, 'Jews were never a large percentage of the total German population; at no time did they exceed 1% of the population during the years 1871-1933.' But she adds 'Jews were overrepresented in business, commerce, and public and private service.. They were especially visible in private banking in Berlin, which in 1923 had 150 private Jewish banks, as opposed to only 11 private non-Jewish banks.. They owned 41% of iron and scrap iron firms and 57% of other metal businesses.. Jews were very active in the stock market, particularly in Berlin, where in 1928 they comprised 80% of the leading members of the stock exchange. By 1933, when the Nazis began eliminating Jews from prominent positions, 85% of the brokers on the Berlin Stock exchange were dismissed because of their "race".. At least a quarter of full professors and instructors (at German universities) had Jewish origins.. In 1905-6 Jewish students comprised 25% of the law and medical students.. In 1931, 50% of the 234 theatre directors in Germany were Jewish, and in Berlin the number was 80%.. In 1929 it was estimated that the per capita income of Jews in Berlin was twice that of other Berlin residents..' etc etc."

- source

ReputationRep:
    She may or many not be a nutter as you say, I don't know anything about her but that is not the issue at hand. Being a Muslim myself I'm certainly not oblivious to the fact that a significant section of the media is demonising Malia Bouattia because of her religious background regardless of her political beliefs. Love her or hate her, she was democratically elected and no amount of unsubstantiated accusations and thinly-veiled hate articles will ever change that fact.

ReputationRep:
    If a candidate for NUS president had even a hint of Islamophobia (in their background), the NUS wouldn't touch them with a barge poll. It's good that this has confirmed that left-wing students prioritise defending some religions over others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    the NUS wouldn't touch them with a barge poll.
    The NUS gives votes to boats? No wonder people say it is undemocratic.

ReputationRep:
    She may or many not be a nutter as you say, I don't know anything about her but that is not the issue at hand. Being a Muslim myself I'm certainly not oblivious to the fact that a significant section of the media is demonising Malia Bouattia because of her religious background regardless of her political beliefs. Love her or hate her, she was democratically elected and no amount of unsubstantiated accusations and thinly-veiled hate articles will ever change that fact.
    Democratically elected by a bunch of other ****wits.

She should not hold the position she is in no matter stupid fairytale religion she follows. It is her remarks about the Jewish community which have raised the most concerns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Democratically elected by a bunch of other ****wits.

She should not hold the position she is in no matter stupid fairytale religion she follows. It is her remarks about the Jewish community which have raised the most concerns.
    Being against the systemic human right abuses committed by the government of Israel does not make a person anti-Semitic, it makes them human. Being against a certain political ideology, Zionism in this case, doesn't make her an anti-Semitic. If that was true than the same can be said about the thousands of orthodox Jews who are also against Zionism, which is an oxymoron. I've never seen a single shred of evidence of Malia Bouattia being anti-Semitic in any way whatsoever as I read articles about her over the past few days.

What is disgusting and racist though, is the shameless and unhinged attacks right-wing media has been making against Malia Bouttia solely because of her faith.

ReputationRep:
    Being against the systemic human right abuses committed by the government of Israel does not make a person anti-Semitic, it makes them human. Being against a certain political ideology, Zionism in this case, doesn't make her an anti-Semitic. If that was true than the same can be said about the thousands of orthodox Jews who are also against Zionism, which is an oxymoron. I've never seen a single shred of evidence of Malia Bouattia being anti-Semitic in any way whatsoever as I read articles about her over the past few days.
    Calling Birmingham University a "zionist outpost" and then going on to say, in the same sentence, that it has the largest Jewish Society in the UK. That doesn't suggest she conflates Zionism and Jews at all...

What is disgusting and racist though, is the shameless and unhinged attacks right-wing media has been making against Malia Bouttia solely because of her faith.
    You talk about evidence above, but where is your evidence that the "right-wing media" has been attacking Malia "solely because of her faith"?

ReputationRep:
    Calling Birmingham University a "zionist outpost" and then going on to say, in the same sentence, that it has the largest Jewish Society in the UK. That doesn't suggest she conflates Zionism and Jews at all...

You talk about evidence above, but where is your evidence that the "right-wing media" has been attacking Malia "solely because of her faith"?
    How about this one: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-outpost.html

Or this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...g-controversy/

This articles are based on allegations and have no true substance in them. And you know what, it's alright isn't it, as long as they're attacking 'Muslims'. Bloody Hypocrites.

Now where's your evidence?

ReputationRep:
    How about this one: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-outpost.html

Or this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...g-controversy/

This articles are based on allegations and have no true substance in them. And you know what, it's alright isn't it, as long as they're attacking 'Muslims'. Bloody Hypocrites.
    Where in those articles are they attacking Malia "solely because of her faith"? As far as I can see, they are reporting things she has allegedly said.

Now where's your evidence?
    I just provided it to you and it suggests she conflates Anti-Zionism and Jews.

ReputationRep:
    Where in those articles are they attacking Malia "solely because of her faith"? As far as I can see, they are reporting things she has allegedly said.

I just provided it to you and it suggests she conflates Anti-Zionism and Jews.
    The key word being 'allegedly', there's no proof she actually said these things. The claim that she conflated Zionists and Jews together might have been totally fabricated as an attempt to besmirch her character. How do you know this isn't part of a wider smear-campaign to force her to resign before she even started her job? My evidence supports this theory but your evidence is based on unverified allegations. It is blatantly obvious that some parts of the media are desperately trying to peddle an anti-Muslim narrative and this story fits nicely into that.

I might change my mind if you prove me wrong by providing good solid evidence that no one can deny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    In the sense that you can argue that Britain used similar tactics in WWII, that is true. Britain also killed civilians to spread terror.

However, Britain and Germany acted reciprocally. If Israel were allowed to use Bomber Command or Luftwaffe tactics there would be no Palestine today, and probably no Palestinians. Palestine is allowed to use Bomber Command/Luftwaffe tactics whereas Israel is not.
    Palestinian militants (who, in contrast to Israeli forces, are neither a single force nor centrally directed from above) lack the resources or capacity to employ such tactics, rendering the question of whether they are 'allowed' to use them redundant.

So saying you support Palestine doing what it is doing now is morally equivalent to saying you support Israeli committing genocide in Palestine
    I have to say I tried a few times to give a meaningful response here, but I can't quite capture the sheer ridiculousness of what you just said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeastOfSyracuse)
    Except that bigotry and hatred is inherent in any support for Hamas
    Where did Bouattia mention Hamas? It certainly wasn't in any of the quotes I've commented on.

in light of its charter which calls for all the Jews in the world to be executed.
    Yawn, I've been through this a million times on here - no it doesn't, disgusting as it is, and parts of it explicitly contradict such an interpretation. And of course, there's the fact that Hamas' leader himself has said he no longer considers it relevant.

Also, it's inherent in supporting the "armed resistance" that she supports the deliberate targeting of civilians which is a war crime.
    Why is it inherent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JezWeCan!)
    Bouattia believes Israelis stabbed to death deserve it because they are citizens of a "colonialist, Zionist" power, whose illegal, immoral government is murdering Palestinians and depriving them of their homeland.
    Where's the evidence that she believes this. Even if she supports that characterisation of Israel as a state, it does not by any means follow that she regards its citizens as inherently guilty.

And this is to to ignore another differentiating point which is also vital. The ends aren't the same in the two cases. WW2 was a "just war." The cause of Palestinian terrorism (wiping Israel off the map) is not.
    Most of the recent wave of Palestinian attacks have been lone wolves, so we don't necessarily know what exactly their political desires were. I don't think at this point in the conflict whether they believe in a one or two-state solution matters that much (as we're not really that near to either), but I certainly don't accept that a one state solution is an unjust goal, however much the pro-Israeli side try to overdramatise it as "wiping Israel off the map" (no-one ever speaks in such terms about any other dissolved or potentially dissolved state).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)

Most of the recent wave of Palestinian attacks have been lone wolves, so we don't necessarily know what exactly their political desires were.
    Not to inject myself into your discussion, but, this statement is both intellectually dishonest and oxymoronic........... that there are so many attacks you would call it a 'wave' and in the same sentence begin calling them 'lone wolves'.

It's obvious why you would do this.

Also, we know exactly why they are doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Why does the BBC headline say she is the first black Moslem female president of the NUS? She is Algerian descent and most likely to be Berber or Arab.
    lol what? She's clearly not black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanSoloLuck)
    more vulnerable to certain diseases like HIV
    Because poverty and lower education or are you saying that the state of being black gives the HIV virus an easier time?

black men they have higher testosterone levels
    Got a source for this buddy? I find this hard to believe seeing blacks are notable for having less body hair on average.
    higher rates of prostate cancer, sickle cell anemia
    pretty sure this applies to West Africa mainly. But all blacks are the same right?

and the color/race of people has also got serious notable and measurable social patterns that repeat.
    Yep nothing to do with socioeconomics.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.