Ask Her Majesty's Government – Parliament XXIII

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Even I don't go as far as to say that the party I am part of is defined by my ideology and mine alone, ego much. If you have a problem with being in the government you can always leave it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't say only mine. :rolleyes: My point was that I'm not an anomaly in my party, my values are (or at least were until recently) shared by most other members.

(Original post by PetrosAC)
    If you want to criticise the party, that's perfectly fine. I'd appreciate if you came to me internally - possibly in the chat thread - and we could talk it over.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "real Liberal Values" as you've always incorrectly defined being Liberal as being Left-Wing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not criticising the party. When I say real Liberal values I mean fairness, equality, social justice, a belief in the welfare state and a commitment to stamping out poverty and oppression. I'm not sure TSR's Liberal party stands for these things anymore. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I didn't say only mine. :rolleyes: My point was that I'm not an anomaly in my party, my values are (or at least were until recently) shared by most other members.

I'm not criticising the party. When I say real Liberal values I mean fairness, equality, social justice, a belief in the welfare state and a commitment to stamping out poverty and oppression. I'm not sure TSR's Liberal party stands for these things anymore. :dontknow:
    Let's see here:

Fairness: Yep, still stand for that
    Equality: Of Opportunity, as well as on Rights and Civil Liberties.
    Social Justice: A more modern Liberal idea, but yes, especially in terms of things like progressive taxation
    Welfare State: Yup, for anyone and everyone that needs it, though I wouldn't call it a core value of "Liberalism"
    Stamping out poverty and oppression: Yes and Yes. We haven't suddenly thrown out all of our values by going into coalition.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, Little Toy Gun asked about this yesterday, gents, let me get the swords out.

ReputationRep:
    Well, Little Toy Gun asked about this yesterday, gents, let me get the swords out.
    That was only for internal party conflicts. This one is:
    A) Public
    B) Not really a party conflict, just a member disagreeing with a decision made by the rest of the party

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That was only for internal party conflicts. This one is:
    A) Public
    B) Not really a party conflict, just a member disagreeing with a decision made by the rest of the party

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I still say get the swords, you are a good swordsman, right?

ReputationRep:
    Let's see here:

Fairness: Yep, still stand for that
    Equality: Of Opportunity, as well as on Rights and Civil Liberties.
    Social Justice: A more modern Liberal idea, but yes, especially in terms of things like progressive taxation
    Welfare State: Yup, for anyone and everyone that needs it, though I wouldn't call it a core value of "Liberalism"
    Stamping out poverty and oppression: Yes and Yes. We haven't suddenly thrown out all of our values by going into coalition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm afraid I've seen very little evidence of that over the past 3 months.

ReputationRep:
    I still say get the swords, you are a good swordsman, right?
    Can't we do it with lightsabers though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can't we do it with lightsabers though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thy're made in China, so no.

ReputationRep:
    We've seen very little evidence of you in that same period.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, let's see here then.

Digital Bill of Rights - Fighting oppression and standing up for Liberty, as you know, we're Liberals

Successful passing plans to build 500,000 new council homes, implemented Housing First so the Homeless get priority over housing and aren't forced into rehab till after they are housed and sorted.

This is only off the top of my head. Where have you been for the last 3 months, because you obviously haven't see any of our legislation

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thy're made in China, so no.
    But...but...I thought they were handcrafted by Jedi.

My whole life has been a lie

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But...but...I thought they were handcrafted by Jedi.

My whole life has been a lie

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In China.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    We've seen very little evidence of you in that same period.
    I've been here, just didn't post much.

Hmmm, let's see here then.

Digital Bill of Rights - Fighting oppression and standing up for Liberty, as you know, we're Liberals

Successful passing plans to build 500,000 new council homes, implemented Housing First so the Homeless get priority over housing and aren't forced into rehab till after they are housed and sorted.

This is only off the top of my head. Where have you been for the last 3 months, because you obviously haven't see any of our legislation

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's one thing. What else have you done for the poor and disenfranchised?

ReputationRep:
    If you have a problem with the way things are run, or our new coalition partners, you're more than welcome to join one of the more left wing parties in opposition whom I'm sure will be glad to have you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    If you have a problem with the way things are run, or our new coalition partners, you're more than welcome to join one of the more left wing parties in opposition whom I'm sure will be glad to have you.
    Or, I could stick around and try to stop the Liberal party moving even further to the right.

ReputationRep:

If you don't feel like we have done enough to promote our Liberal views, then please submit a bill to the party over whatever issue you wish us to work on, and we can go from there.

ReputationRep:

That's three things. Snufkin, it's all there in the legislation we submitted last term. Have a look at the parties manifesto and you can see exactly what we did last term

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Or, I could stick around and try to stop the Liberal party moving even further to the right.
    Why? You're in the minority of people unhappy about our political orientation, which I maintain is largely centrist. If you want to be a member of a leftist party, the Liberals are not the part my for you.

ReputationRep:
    Further to the right in what sense? Just interested, because I don't think we've moved

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

In fairness you can't really complain that classical liberalism is winning out if by your own admission you've not been around to create bills that solidify your own position.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.