Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    did someone quoted me??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    did someone quoted me??
    No, but if you're willing to, could you look over my discussion (I suppose specifically post 99) with Malamo999 itt and give any advice on the matter. Not that I don't trust Malamo's opinion but, you know, two heads etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    The 3-4 hour battery life isn't really an issue for me; my current laptop holds a charge for about 15 minutes and has done for a long time. I'm used to it now so 3+ hours would be mind-blowing for me.

Forgive me if this seems a bit dim but what is the extra £70 for between the two HPs you have recommended?

HP 250 G4
    • Intel Core i5-6200U Dual Core Processor
    • 4GB DDR3 RAM
    • 128GB SSD
    • USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth
    • Firmware TPM
    • T6P47EA#ABU
    HP ProBook 450 G2
    • Intel Core i5-5200U Dual Core Processor
    • 12GB DDR3 RAM
    • 500GB HDD
    Just seems to be the bigger RAM (which I could upgrade myself) and larger but slower memory. What is the difference between i5-6200U and i5-5200U?

Also, you say I could 'add' the SSD to the more expensive computer, again, perhaps a silly question, but where's the space for it? Would I not have to remove the HDD anyway to fit it in? Similarly, if I was to upgrade the RAM on the cheaper laptop myself, you say I can fit two pieces of hardware in. They'd both fit, yeah?

Games were just an afterthought, so this isn't really an issue. Thanks for your input, nonetheless.
    the 6200U is slightly better than 5200U based on cpubenchmark ratings.

beware of adding ram on a laptop, not all laptops has additional ram slots.

if you want to add SSD to a laptop you would have to take out your HDD and replace it with the SSD. You can run both SSD and HDD together only if your laptop have 2 bays/slots for drives. I think some laptops have only 1 while some have 2.

Based entirely on the information you provide ( i did not search for the model myself on google ) , the difference between both is one laptop is running on SSD and another has superior RAM.

SSD makes your laptop runs really fast , while RAM allows you to run multiple programs(or a single program that uses a lot of resources) at once without lagging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malamo999)
    And if a £520 laptop only has a 920M, that would be even worse. You'd be surprised how well modern HD Graphics copes, and how games can be customised to run on different hardware.

HtF's right, but to add to that: Honestly, a laptop like this or even like this would be fine for you, and MacBooks are completely overkill for what you want to do - especially since you don't seem to be tied down to the Apple ecosystem at the moment with a Windows-Linux dual-boot system. Honestly, you should save that £700 and spent it on upgrades for your desktop or something - with laptops, anything more just buys you luxuries (incremental and honestly hardly noticeable speed improvements). I'm not trying to sell you something cheap just for the sake of it, so hear me out - I just think Macs are a bit unnecessary, and that there are far better things you could be spending so much of that money on. Don't you agree?
    yea but he mentioned he wants to do iOS app dev. That means he must use a mac...

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    What is the difference between i5-6200U and i5-5200U?
    If I was to upgrade the RAM on the cheaper laptop myself, you say I can fit two pieces of hardware in. They'd both fit, yeah?
    Yeah, not very much, sorry. Stick with the original, cheaper laptop, perhaps replace the SSD if you want a bigger/faster one, add or replace some of the RAM and stick with that. The difference between the 5th and 6th gen is only 10%. And yes, you would be able to, but stick with a single stick that I linked you to for now. If there's already RAM in there and only one slot, you can replace it. If there are two slots, you can replace it/them, and possibly buy more RAM if you're not happy with 10/12GB.

(Original post by morgan8002)
    You're not going to get a (premade) laptop with a half decent GPU for less than £500 though.
    HD Graphics won't cut it at all.
    I agree with the first statement, but not the second. I've got an HD Graphics 530 in my system and it runs most games just fine, albeit on lower settings. I'd actually give this one the benefit of the doubt. :P

yea but he mentioned he wants to do iOS app dev. That means he must use a mac...
    That's true. I'm not endorsing a Hackintosh here, but surely emulating OS X is better than spending £1k on a Mac just to develop iOS apps when the app market is already oversaturated?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the first statement, but not the second. I've got an HD Graphics 530 in my system and it runs most games just fine, albeit on lower settings. I'd actually give this one the benefit of the doubt. :P
    The 530 is much better than the average HD Graphics.
    I have a HD Graphics 4000 on my system. I just did some benchmarks in Shogun Total War 2 and I'm pretty amazed to be honest. 60 fps on the lowest settings at 1024 by 768. It's ugly but playable with slightly higher settings.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, not very much, sorry. Stick with the original, cheaper laptop, perhaps replace the SSD if you want a bigger/faster one, add or replace some of the RAM and stick with that. The difference between the 5th and 6th gen is only 10%. And yes, you would be able to, but stick with a single stick that I linked you to for now. If there's already RAM in there and only one slot, you can replace it. If there are two slots, you can replace it/them, and possibly buy more RAM if you're not happy with 10/12GB.
    Right, so it seems that the HP 250 G4 has two slots (2 SODIMM ??) for RAM so I could keep the original 4 and ad an extra 8.
    As far as the SSD is concerned: if I bought the one you recommended, what do I do with the original one? Sell it?

I wonder if I could manage with the original 128GB. I have external HDDs...

ReputationRep:
    two slots
    (2 SODIMM ??)
    As far as the SSD is concerned: if I bought the one you recommended, what do I do with the original one? Sell it?
    I wonder if I could manage with the original 128GB. I have external HDDs...
    Two slots means you'd have 2GB in each slot, so replacing one 'chip with an extra 8GB gives you 10GB in total.
    SODIMM is a fancy word for laptop memory.
    There are different types of SSD connectors. You have mSATA and SATA generally. mSATA is the kind of interface that will also accept modules such as Wi-Fi/Bluetooth 'chips, located nearer the RAM usually, but my suspicion is that this laptop has a SATA SSD in place of the regular HDD. Either way, it should be dead easy to replace the RAM and HDD, and if in doubt, there are always YouTube teardown videos of people with similar model laptops.
    To answer your question, well, it depends. If the SSD is fast-ish (use a tool like the brilliant UserBenchmark to find out), you might as well just keep it and save your money. SSDs generally aren't that good for long-term storage - compared to traditional HDDs, anyway. If not, then well, replacing the SSD is entirely up to you. Getting that model I linked you to would still leave you £25 under budget.

ReputationRep:
    Two slots means you'd have 2GB in each slot, so replacing one 'chip with an extra 8GB gives you 10GB in total.
    SODIMM is a fancy word for laptop memory.
    Last point and then I'm going to buy it: wouldn't '4 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)' imply there is only one chip?
    Either way, you've been a great help and I'm very thankful, but unfortunately it still says PRSOM.

ReputationRep:
    wouldn't '(1 x 4 GB)' imply there is only one chip?
    Yep, that's my mistake. Oh, and if you're still interested in replacing the SSD, grab this one - it's much better value.
    Happy to help. Any questions post-purchase, feel free to PM me. Same goes for anyone else ITT.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.