Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your degree and your career aspirations - how do they match up? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawliettt)
    So you've essentially posted a thread about people having unrealistic expectations then went ahead and posted an unrealistic graduate salary yourself.

Brilliant. How many of these 50k a year fresh out of university jobs are there? Surely that's literally the opposite of realistic?
    That's not unrealistic. The job he wants to do (investment banking) does actually pay £50000 starting salary and then a bonus as well. For other jobs it is unrealistic but for certain careers (IBD, trading, equity research, maybe corporate law) it is what you usually get.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lawliettt)
    So you've essentially posted a thread about people having unrealistic expectations then went ahead and posted an unrealistic graduate salary yourself.

Brilliant. How many of these 50k a year fresh out of university jobs are there? Surely that's literally the opposite of realistic?
    How is it 'unrealistic' when I've seen the exact figure in writing (employment contract), several times from friends I have helped get into the roles I'm talking about?

Did you even read the post? It's completely fair to know what each job pays, what's not fair is to throw some wild figure without any idea of how you'll get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    For other jobs it is unrealistic but for certain careers (IBD, trading, equity research, maybe corporate law) it is what you usually get.
    I'd state it is what you SOMETIMES get. There are plenty of people in all of those industries not working at the top large corporate firms that won't be earning that in their first year. It's a small number of organisations that will only be paying that type of salary to a fresh graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I'd state it is what you SOMETIMES get. There are plenty of people in all of those industries not working at the top large corporate firms that won't be earning that in their first year. It's a small number of organisations that will only be paying that type of salary to a fresh graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd agree with you, in general, but base salary for front office is normally standardised across the industry because competition for talent is immense. Bonus though, will be more variable at less prominent firms.

Smaller advisory firms actually pay more sometimes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Degree: Pharmacy

Jobs/Careers of Interest: Hospital pharmacist/ analytical chemist

Graduate Salary Expected: £18000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    How is it 'unrealistic' when I've seen the exact figure in writing (employment contract), several times from friends I have helped get into the roles I'm talking about?
    Unrealistic in the sense that it'll be so competitive that it's likely you won't get the salary from the specific advertised job. Not sure what you're failing to grasp here.

Using your logic, an unusually high starting salary for every mech eng student is realistic because formula 1 companies and rolls royce offer it.

What you've essentially said is every person in the country graduating with a good degree from your course should realistically expect 50k+ huge bonuses right away.

Bravo. I think your issue is you don't know what realistic means.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with you, in general, but base salary for front office is normally standardised across the industry because competition for talent is immense. Bonus though, will be more variable at less prominent firms.

Smaller advisory firms actually pay more sometimes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's nothing to do with competition for talent really - there's more than plenty out there. It's the high attrition and impact on lifestyle that really contribute to those salaries (and the fact they are generally bringing in huge amounts of revenue).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nursing
    Nurse

I researched my career and I'm not deluded like 99% of people on here - most will probs end up in recruitment or doing PPI call centre jobs on 12K with a useless degree and when they realize they've ruined their life with an English lit degree (or whatever) they'll go and do TEFL and work in Asia for a bit until returning and working in Tesco. Just speaking the truth. Nothing wrong with any of those jobs btw but that's not what they set out to do is it and they're not worth going to uni for.

Too many overqualified shelf stackers - kids need to be a lot more informed before investing 3 years and thousands of pounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Degree: Economics
    Career of interest: Civil Service or Investment Banking (depending on how greedy I feel )
    Expected salary: CS 27-30k, IB 40k

As far as I'm aware those are roughly the starting salaries, at least that's what they advertise on the CS Fast Track scheme, and that seems to be the figure I've most seen in regards to IB.

ReputationRep:
    That's why I put 'careers', in case you're deliberating between a few. Which grad schemes pay £35k that you personally know of? (I know there are quite a few but I'm seeing if you can come up with concrete roles + companies)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the ones that take your life away, in general :clap2:

for the Lidl/Aldi scheme, it's written on their page that you are expected to work more than 8h/day and that you should be okay with that. 'Plus you've got the commitment to work a 50-hour week, which will include weekends.'

if you take out the extra hours you're asked to work, i think you earn the same money as an average 9-5 job.

and I agree with an earlier comment of yours, people do expect to earn too much, considering the fact they studied a 3-year course that didn't teach them anything apart from teamwork, communication, numeracy, reasoning skills, hard working, etc pretty much the same things you see written on every CV.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by y0_3mma)
    the ones that take your life away, in general :clap2:

for the Lidl/Aldi scheme, it's written on their page that you are expected to work more than 8h/day and that you should be okay with that. 'Plus you've got the commitment to work a 50-hour week, which will include weekends.'

if you take out the extra hours you're asked to work, i think you earn the same money as an average 9-5 job.

and I agree with an earlier comment of yours, people do expect to earn too much, considering the fact they studied a 3-year course that didn't teach them anything apart from teamwork, communication, numeracy, reasoning skills, hard working, etc pretty much the same things you see written on every CV.
    Yeah, it's the same with all high paying entry level jobs to be honest. You work so many hours that when you've taken them into account, it'll work out to not as much on a per hour basis.

Exactly. What this thread was also about was whether people were in tune with which jobs pay which salaries, rather than them throwing wild figures around in the usual 'what salary do you expect to make' threads people usually start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BizzStrut)
    With guys like Princepieman and myself, we know in high school what we want to do and we are planning and shaping our applications years in advance. I think there is a discrete difference between these two lines of thoughts. If an engineer spent from 15 setting himself up for that F1 job then my money would be on him getting it, because all those years where everybody else is goofing around pays off.
    Although I said that being career minded and focused is half the battle, I've seen plenty of "lifers" completely fail to get into the choice of career despite doing a lot to try and get there. And I've seen plenty of those who come to the decision late be successful. It's not as simple of straight forward as just how driven you are, although without it you have no chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There are about 1-2k entry level jobs per year in front office + strategy consulting. It's nowhere near 'one job'. Posted from TSR Mobile
    The issue is that you are competing against the best part of 100,000 applicants though (if not more), from the UK and abroad. Yes, if you are in the top 2% of those applicants you are going to get the job, but the overwhelming majority of people applying are going to be thoroughly disappointed.

It's great that you and others are gunning for it and are determined to get there, but it is still a pretty narrow field to get into no matter how determined you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by KatieBlogger)
    Nursing
    Nurse

I researched my career and I'm not deluded like 99% of people on here - most will probs end up in recruitment or doing PPI call centre jobs on 12K with a useless degree and when they realize they've ruined their life with an English lit degree (or whatever) they'll go and do TEFL and work in Asia for a bit until returning and working in Tesco. Just speaking the truth. Nothing wrong with any of those jobs btw but that's not what they set out to do is it and they're not worth going to uni for.

Too many overqualified shelf stackers - kids need to be a lot more informed before investing 3 years and thousands of pounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a bit presumptuous..

You're assuming people on here don't research their intended careers and you've also assumed that most people (on this thread) aren't setting themselves up for success by preparing early (like you).

You're not the exception to this thread, and neither are you the exception to the TSR population; plenty of people have looked into where they want to be in life and how they'll get there. Likewise, some people don't do this but they have developed the right skillset to do well at interview for 'good' jobs.

Of course not every uni grad will be making £££s, but you've alluded to there being this huge gulf between expecting to be paid extremely well post-uni and minimum wage, 'PPI' flogging. When in reality, there are loads of jobs in between that spectrum filled by university graduates of all degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Degree: Information Systems Management
    Job: Business or Technology Consultant
    Entry Level: Graduate roles, average £26.5k, others £30k

ReputationRep:
    Case in point.. Ffs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Vinny1900)
    You're delerious
    If you roll back to 2004 when I started my degree in Maths & Physics, I was in exactly the same position: studying the same subject, no idea what career I wanted, hoping for a starting salary around about that level.

Fast forward a few years to my graduation... I started my first job on £35k. So I don't think it's fair to go around telling people they're delirious when their aspirations are actually very manageable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BizzStrut)
    This is true of any career path. It seems like by adding this condition to high paying career paths in particular we're negating that those other things are serious factors when it's a universal condition.

But sure, I agree.
    I don't think it is true of any career path - not even ones that have a decent graduate starting salary. It's just true of those that are seen as competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
    If you roll back to 2004 when I started my degree in Maths & Physics, I was in exactly the same position: studying the same subject, no idea what career I wanted, hoping for a starting salary around about that level.

Fast forward a few years to my graduation... I started my first job on £35k. So I don't think it's fair to go around telling people they're delirious when their aspirations are actually very manageable
    I'm not saying it's delirious, I was more alluding to the fact that he didn't specify at least one example of a role that pays in that vicinity.

It's all well and good to have high expectations but qualifying those expectations in the context of a role would look much better than throwing around a random figure. It also gets them thinking more about which jobs would lead to their desired level of pay.

Either way, the OP in question has since given examples of some jobs which pay near that level.

Congrats on the salary by the way - what job did you end up in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Degree- Chemical Engineering
    Careers of Interest- Acting ( aiming to land a superhero role in a marvel film or DC if worst comes to worst )
    Graduate Salary Expected- £1m++

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying it's delirious, I was more alluding to the fact that he didn't specify at least one example of a role that pays in that vicinity.

It's all well and good to have high expectations but qualifying those expectations in the context of a role would look much better than throwing around a random figure. It also gets them thinking more about which jobs would lead to their desired level of pay.

Either way, the OP in question has since given examples of some jobs which pay near that level.

Congrats on the salary by the way - what job did you end up in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry the "Delirious" comment was aimed at the other person I quoted who used that word. I just quoted you both together because you appeared to be suggesting the same general idea.

I really had no direction when I was at Uni. Literally no idea at all. I found my graduate job by flicking through the pages of the "Top 100 Graduate Employers" magazine that was given to me by the careers department at my University. I saw a company called CHP Consulting offering a starting salary of £35k and thought "oh that looks like a good salary, I'll apply there". A month later after a couple of trips down to London for interviews I was offered the job.

Started working, still no idea what I wanted to do or whether I had chosen the right career. Eventually left after 2 years to study Medicine and I'm now a junior doctor wondering whether to leave to do something else or stay and have to choose a specialty (more choices and more uncertainty)

Hooray for stumbling around in the dark with no sense of purpose

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.