Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why feminism is still relevant in the West Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BubbleBoobies)
    1) women have preferences. they have preferences *against* manual labour jobs. are they not allowed their own preferences? surely *that* is sexist?

I understand that culture is going to be influenced by subjective social constructions, but why do you think a culture would tend towards women working in manual labour when they're the *weaker* gender?
    The point is I don't dispute that and never have. I'm saying that there might be women working overhead and there may well be more without this kind of stuff that undoubtedly does condition is. How do you know how you would feel about what professions are right for you without the relentless societal judgement? We can't imagine how we would be without this kind of thing; we can however work to build a future where it literally doesn't matter if you are male or female or whatever.

(Original post by Kyle1198)
    You're not a feminist. You're just an idiot who plucks the tiniest bit of borderline unpolitcal correctness in a SIGN, and claim that women are somehow being oppressed because of it. I bet you don't actually care about women's rights, you're just pretending to be some sort of social justice warrior to put yourself on a pedestal. The fact that you're a man says it all - you're probably trying to make yourself more attractive to females because you're obviously such a devout 'feminist'. I have three words for you; get a grip.
    At what point did I say I was a man?

ReputationRep:
    If there was a woman working, i doubt the sign would be up anyway.

Feminism is so irrelevant in the west, they literally have *nothing* meaningful or have any point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Matriarchy)
    Signs like these are indirectly stopping them. Do you understand what conditioning is and how much it affects our decisions and outlook?
    If one sign is going to prevent you from pursuing your dream I don't have much faith in how badly you wanted it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truthteller10)
    A sign that says men working ahead is in no way systemic oppression.

we are into the 4th page on this topic yet you've failed to show us how that sign was oppressive to anyone.
    At what point did I say it was oppressive ? Feminist causes aren't always about oppression. You're the one who invented that I said it was oppressive and now you're getting me to defend your incorrect assumption of what my point is? Smh.

ReputationRep:

So what in heavens name are you?

ReputationRep:
    The point is I don't dispute that and never have. I'm saying that there might be women working overhead and there may well be more without this kind of stuff that undoubtedly does condition is. How do you know how you would feel about what professions are right for you without the relentless societal judgement? We can't imagine how we would be without this kind of thing; we can however work to build a future where it literally doesn't matter if you are male or female or whatever.

Well you said you weren't a woman earlier, unless you identify with one of these pretentious tumblr gender identities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisb19)
    If one sign is going to prevent you from pursuing your dream I don't have much faith in how badly you wanted it.
    Don't you understand that we are not talking about an individual woman wanting to do a manual job and rather conditioning that creates an expectation for women and men to take up particular roles and in that will mean that women will not end up in traditionally male-dominated professions because the cycle continues.

ReputationRep:
    If people like OP was a real feminist, he/she/it would obviously be fighting for the real oppression in the middle east, of raising the numerous undocumented cases of sexism NOT in the west. Instead, they stand for the women in their own society because they are selfish and lazy. They make a fuss over this sign and a Yorkie bar etc etc

ReputationRep:
    So what in heavens name are you?
    I'm an atheist and I don't believe in heaven.

It doesn't matter what I am; it's just been assumed I am female and then when I challenged why people now think that means I'm male ?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youngmetro)
    If people like OP was a real feminist, he/she/it would obviously be fighting for the real oppression in the middle east, of raising the numerous undocumented cases of sexism NOT in the west. Instead, they stand for the women in their own society because they are selfish and lazy. They make a fuss over this sign and a Yorkie bar etc etc
    It would be great if you could read the thread to check if your point has already been made.

ReputationRep:
    At what point did I say it was oppressive ? Feminist causes aren't always about oppression. You're the one who invented that I said it was oppressive and now you're getting me to defend your incorrect assumption of what my point is? Smh.

i wanted to write sexism.

address the other points and quit clutching at straws.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle1198)
    Well you said you weren't a woman earlier, unless you identify with one of these pretentious tumblr gender identities.
    I did not say I wasn't a woman.

ReputationRep:
    One of the things I hear people say often is that the Feminist movement is irrelevant in the Western world, because for all intents and purposes we have achieved equality- politically, socially, and economically.

I think what this really means is, on the surface it appears as though we've achieved what feminism set out to, but in my opinion we haven't tackled the deeper issues and that is why I am still very passionate at bringing about change in this arena.

This sign I observed today demonstrates what I mean:

This sign demonstrates exactly why feminism is still relevant. What if there were women working overhead? And more to the point, it builds into the notion that man should be strong and do manual jobs and women shouldn't be doing the dirty work and instead cooking and looking pretty.

It reinforces systemic sexism within society and perpetuates the conditioning we are all succumbed to as to what men 'should' be and what women 'should' be.

Even on this site the pinky colour for the female sign and the blue colour for the male sign are part of the problem.

I hope to discuss issues about gender equality during my time on The Student Room.
    Please explain me feminism. I am a girl myself btw.

ReputationRep:
    It would be great if you could read the thread to check if your point has already been made.
    You havent given an answer, typical feminist

ReputationRep:
    I'm an atheist and I don't believe in heaven.

It doesn't matter what I am; it's just been assumed I am female and then when I challenged why people now think that means I'm male ?!

when i asked about what you were, i was referring to your gender.

i couldn't care less about your religious views or whatever the hell you believe in

ReputationRep:
    i wanted to write sexism.

address the other points and quit clutching at straws.
    No I'm not you've been going on about oppression a lot and not once did I say this is oppression.

You've turned it into that because of your own cognitive bias that feminists must always be avenging some form of oppression, which I am not here.

Do you really need explaining why a sign that says 'men working overhead' is sexist ?!

ReputationRep:
    Lol do you not understand self-fulfilling prophecies? If women go around seeing these signs they will think they are automatically excluded from these jobs.

Also I bet there have been women working overhead when a sign like this has been in place.

I'm not disputing that biologically men are probably more suited to this line of work but it doesn't mean that all women should be discouraged from these jobs and this sign creates that situation.

Feminists like you are the reason people don't want to be identified with feminism. You're treating women like mindless children who can't make decisions for themselves. Do you really think women will see this sign and then think "oh, this sign says men are working overhead, this means I'll never be able to work in construction". This is 2016.There's quotas so there is a certain amount of women working in a certain job; and there's organisations that help only women get into universities and certain careers. It is so easy for a women to work in the field of IT JUST because she is a women! If women want to work in construction, they'll work in construction. There is no invisible force brainwashing women into thinking they can't work here or there. It's down to a matter of choice. You are clearly deluded and paranoid at that.

ReputationRep:
    I did not say I wasn't a woman.
    Whatever, just own up to the fact you don't believe a word of what you've come up with.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you understand that we are not talking about an individual woman wanting to do a manual job and rather conditioning that creates an expectation for women and men to take up particular roles and in that will mean that women will not end up in traditionally male-dominated professions because the cycle continues.
    The thing I've never understood about feminism is how it only concerns itself with issues where women are at the disadvantage.

Never heard a feminist talk about why I have to stay on the Titanic while the women and children get to live lmao.

I also wonder about the millions of men which have died throughout history in wars while the women stay at home. I would gladly switch places.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm not you've been going on about oppression a lot and not once did I say this is oppression.

You've turned it into that because of your own cognitive bias that feminists must always be avenging some form of oppression, which I am not here.

Do you really need explaining why a sign that says 'men working overhead' is sexist ?!
    Yes I do, because unless you have proof that the people working when that sign was displayed happened to consist of even one woman, you're arguing based on blind conjecture and redundancy. Shooting your mouth of trying to find something to argue about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.