Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Then why was BTEC not offered chicken from Nandos on results day though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdNozSunburnNose)
    Sorry but my coursework in my subjects I would say are as hard as a-levels like maths test or the sciences or sociology, I have to do so much work whereas maths just looks like a few past papers and science just an extension of common knowledge in my honest opinion. You may think this is a bad troll but I am serious. You don't know how hard us students work plus our BTEC is equivalent to an a level like science so we have just as good a chance of getting into a top uni. Maybe not Cambridge or Oxford but a Russell group probably.
    yeah ikr it's common knowledge that bronsted acids form conjugate bases and bronsted bases form conjugate acids I mean DUH everyone knows the ionic product of water at 25 degrees C intuitively no biggie we were born with that knowledge and you know we don't need doctors, scientists, pharmacists and engineers cuz well, they're all just doing stuff we know ourselves we can start self-healing and developing drugs etc WHY NOT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdNozSunburnNose)
    You may think this is a bad troll...
    :^)
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Spartan)
    I don't want to sound like an academic snob, but come on now. There is a reason that BTEC's are not accepted in oxbridge, nor mostly other top 10 unis.
    Hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Its because they are not as hard as A-Level.
    Oxford, Durham, St Andrews, Lancaster and Loughborough do accept BTECs. Oxford, Durham and St Andrews, however, will expect at least 1 A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youngmetro)

sorry
    what a lad HAHAHA

ReputationRep:
    I may not be a #stemstudent, but at least I'm not a #btecstudent!

ReputationRep:
    ok I haven't had any experience with BTEC subjects before so I won't comment or give my opinion. I'm sure it is rigorous in its own way. The thing is - what the OP is saying is that A Level science and math subjects are manageable and even downright simple. This is DEFINITELY not the case and I think many people can testify to that. I'm sure there are plenty of good unis that accept the BTEC but in the grand scheme of things, it still holds true that most universities will prefer A levels over BTEC qualifications. It's the simple undeniable truth. (unless you're talking about Fine Art at, say, Oxford then yes BTECs are accepted) otherwise, universities with long-standing academic history and reputation are unlikely to favour a less academically rigorous qualification over an A-level.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this qualifies, but this year I did 3 AS-levels and one BTEC Certificate, equivalent to an AS-level.

I can confirm that the BTEC takes about 1/5 of the work of a proper AS-level. I never worked outside of class on it.

ReputationRep:
    My friend did a btec and claimed the whole class just copt and pasted then changed a few words.

Meanwhile physics gave my nightmares. The only kids in our physics class who were also doing a btec got an E in it.

ReputationRep:
    University equivalents for A Levels, BTECs etc.

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/undergraduatewebsite/documents/UK_Equivalencies_table_for_UG_st udy_site.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlimShady96)
    Attachment 549143
    So, have you got a place at uni yet??? Because i have with my BTEC disabled parking certificate. lol

ReputationRep:
    As someone who does BTEC, I can assure you that a level is much harder. Especially because you're doing 3 subjects. My BTEC has 2 exams and mostly assignments and it's easier to get a better grade in an assignment then you would for an exam.

ReputationRep:
    I do Art&Design BETC course andit actually takes sooo much energy and time. We have a lot of work to do and it's pretty hard to get a good grade. For each semester I have 5 teachers to hand work to individually. And that's a lot and lot of work. While in A level you have end of year exam and that's it. So I think BETC is hard in terms of consuming energy while A level consums your brain. They're equal in difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer from LSE with a BTEC Extended Diploma- a better uni than where all you guys laughing about BTEC, have applied to!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A*GLORYHUNTER)
    I have an offer from LSE with a BTEC Extended Diploma- a better uni than where all you guys laughing about BTEC, have applied to!!
    Lol, so have I. I have an offer from the best university for physiotherapy in the UK and I do a Btec.

ReputationRep:
    This thread seems pointless to me - at the end of the day depending on grades BTEC's and A Levels both get students into university and therefore it should just be about the one that suits the individual's strengths better. For Example, Personally I find BTEC's easier because it is a coursework based course - I get very stressed over exams and panic, which makes me forget the information I had learnt and revised 10 minutes before. However, my sister works better with exams, and absolutely hated coursework - so naturally she is taking A Levels. It wouldn't make sense for her to do a BTEC and me to do A Levels when they don't suit the methods of assessing that we are good at. It also depends what level BTEC, I believe the level 3 extended diploma is the same level as A Levels but is assessed in a different way. I saw in the thread people were mentioning that some people have just copied their work online and got a distinction? I have never heard of somebody who has got away with this, BTEC have a system in place where they scan all assignments into the system and it will come up if the individual has plagiarised. All I know is that the BTEC I am doing, is not only getting me frequent experience in a work setting (which is good for universities) but is also getting me the grades to get to university to do what I want - which is ultimately the goal with A level and BTEC students. So why does it matter which one somebody finds easier? Do the option that is easier as long as you are happy with what you are doing and it will get you to where you want to be? I don't know why people drag others down. Why would I do A Levels, when I know I am going to fail the exams (no matter how well I do in class and mocks) when I could do a BTEC, where my learning during class with be counted towards my final grade and It won't make me as anxious? It is common sense to me at least. Not sure, everybody is entitled to their opinions but this is just mine Hope everyone is doing well.

ReputationRep:
    haha what the hell we all know this is complete ********. There is a reason why the majoirty of people doing BTECs are automatically predicted distinctions whereas the average predicted grade for Alevels is around a C. Thats because they are simply easier. If you do the work you will get the grade guaranteed. You can go back and change things, the teachers can give you the answers not to mention the exceptionally generic questions which can be ********ted to any degree possibly. Alevels are two years worth of knowledge shoved into your head and then your final grade is dependent on an exam. There is nothing to fall back on if you fail that day you fail. You could know every single thing about the topic except what that 1 question is asking you. Not only that but the majority of people who do btec course finish a month or so early and have the luxury of knowing there grades before the holidays Whereas Alevel students spend the entirety of the summer questioning if they did good or bad.

ReputationRep:
    are you high lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Spartan)
    :rofl:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Ha ha I do a level chemistry!:p:o

ReputationRep:
    hahahahahahahahahahhhahahaahahah HHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.