Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julesaquilina)
    I got k is less than -2 and greater than 5? And many others got that as well
    cant be as y=x+5 would intercept the curve

ReputationRep:
    0<r<√45 - 5 i got this too- anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregis)
    The line equation was y=2x^2, then the x-coordinate of A=5 and the x-coordinate of B=5+h and you had to prove the gradient was 20+2h.

I think you had to find the midpoint of the x-coordinates and then put that into the dy/dx of the equation.
    i found y values and did y2-y1 thing, luckily it was a proof so check your answer haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlfieH)
    Wasn't it something like y=4x^2+a/x+5 and y has a stationary point at which the y coordinate = 32.

I differentiated to find 8x-a/x^2 and then equated to 0. Then said that 8x^3-a=0 therefore 8x^3=a.

Plug that back into the original equation to get 32=4x^2+8x^2+5 (32 is the y coordinate we were given).

Solving that to get x= 0 and + or - 3/2. Then plugging that back in to the original equation gave a=0, not possible or a negative solution when it asked for the positive solution so solving that eventually gave 27.

I hope that makes sense? Think it's correct (I BLOODY HOPE SO!)
    Yes that's what i got

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else find the exam hard?

ReputationRep:
    What will the grade boundaries be guys? Jan 2011 was 54 for an A and that was much easier than this paper. I got 67 on 2011 paper. This paper was a wreck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ozil5)
    Can someone make an online Google document thing so we can all input our answers to make the mock MS
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody remember the indices questions? I remember the first one was (2^5 divided by 2^7) but there was something else in that question.

Also - what about the 2nd question, I got -¼+or-¾root5

It was 5 x 4^2/3 + 3 or something x 16^1/3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregis)
    The line equation was y=2x^2, then the x-coordinate of A=5 and the x-coordinate of B=5+h and you had to prove the gradient was 20+2h.

I think you had to find the midpoint of the x-coordinates and then put that into the dy/dx of the equation.
    Did you do that?! Exactly what I did! What about the next question, the 1 marker where it said talk about the gradient or something?

ReputationRep:
    guys are we talking OCR or OCR MEI - seems to be a mix?

ReputationRep:
    I think I remember now wasn't it prove the gradient was 4h+10 ?

I did it different by finding the midpoint AB, then plugging that into the dy/dx of 2x^2 which then gave me 4x therefore 4(h+2.5h) which still gave me 4h+10..

Reckon I'll still get the 3 marks?
    I definitely remember there being a 20 in there, as I messed up expanding the brackets at first :P I did it like this:

If y=2x^2, then y for A would be 2x5^2, 2x25 = 50

y for B = 2(h+5)^2 = 2(h+5)(h+5) = 2(h^2+10h+25) = 2h^2+20h+50

so A = (5,50) + B = (5+h, 2h^2+20h+50)

y1-y2/x1-x2 = 50-(2h^2+20h+50) / 5 -(5+h)

= -2h^2-20h / -h

= 20+2h (I think :P)

hey man, if you did it your way and it was right, then you should get the marks.

ReputationRep:
    Here our my answers for the questions I remember for people to compare to. This was the hardest paper I have ever done.
    Surds question -1/4 +3/4root5
    Circles tangents first one 2x-20 and second one 2x+10 and radius r<2 (but I'm sure this is wrong)
    Substitution quadratic 1/16 and 81
    Last question 18root27/12 this is equivalent to 27 hopefully I will still get full marks
    Indices 2^-6 and 2^13/3
    Discriminant k< something or k>5
    Transformation (x-2)^2(3-x) and stretch parallel to the y axis by scale factor 1/2 (don't think these are right)
    Complete the square -2(x-3) +22 (3,22)
    Coefficient of x^3 is -10
    Y coordinate of normal 50.25
    I'll add more when I remmber them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Btec certified)
    What did u get liark? Get coordinates of (10,0) for A aye?
    I get it now, yeah. Centre C was midpoint of the two points so use that to find the other point and sub in to the equation of a line with a gradient 2.

Think I'll get a mark for using gradient 2 but that's all? Or also one for using equation of the line? It was 3 marks overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nobodycarescarla)
    0<r<√45 - 5 i got this too- anyone else?
    Same!! Only I wrote it as 0<r<(3root5-5)

ReputationRep:
    could someone please go through the answer to question 9 and how they achieved it? that question destroyed me but i think i may get some method marks.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else get a=27?! Oh my god that seemed so much harder than any of the other past papers. Good luck everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    Does pencil not show up on the test by any chance? I switched between pencil and pen constantly during the test.

ReputationRep:
    Did you do that?! Exactly what I did! What about the next question, the 1 marker where it said talk about the gradient or something?
    I said that at the point (could be B? The one with the h) i said the one with the h would have a steeper gradient than at point A but i wasnt sure

ReputationRep:
    Well that didn't work.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone made an unofficial mark scheme yet? I know it's a bit soon 😅

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.