Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why STEM is objectively superior to non STEM degrees. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    It's nonsense in your view. I don't need to think about maths, I don't think it's as useful as languages 'period'
    Really? If it was not for mathematics, we would not be having this conversation. Do I need to continue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broscientist)
    Really? If it was not for mathematics, we would not be having this conversation. Do I need to continue?
    If it wasn't for language we literally wouldn't be having this conversation...

ReputationRep:
    If it wasn't for language we literally wouldn't be having this conversation...
    You brought up the point that learning a second language is far more valuable. Not being able to utilize any language at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and now I work in research...what's your point?
    saying this wont make your point any stronger. You didnt do a degree in the sciences so it doesnt make your already silly point any more valid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STEMisSuperior.)
    Law is mostly memorising and learning things by heart
    Isn't everything, including STEM, just memorising things and applying them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    There is a lot of creativity and problem-solving involved when you are programming something or solving a complex maths problem.

ReputationRep:
    ofc not lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broscientist)
    There is a lot of creativity and problem-solving involved when you are programming something or solving a complex maths problem.
    I don't dispute it.

But you've learnt and memorised the methods of solving the problem, similar to how a History student learns dates and accounts, and applies them when forming a viewpoint on a complex event.

STEM isn't the only field to employ problem-solving skills. I might even argue that the creativity and problem-solving skills developed through STEM are lesser to those developed through arts, because in STEM there tends to be a strict method you have to go through to solve a problem, whereas in other subjects the problem-solving process tends to be more free-flowing. In the real world, there aren't often clear routes you can go through to solve a problem; it's more ambiguous.

ReputationRep:
    ofc not lol
    You memorise the methods, right? Without the methods, how would you solve the problem? You can't use 'creativity' to solve a maths problem.

ReputationRep:
    how insecure must you be about your career prospects to have to make this thread and reassure yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe both sides should get down off their respective high horses?

You only have to look at the engineering marvels around the world to know that STEM involves creativity, at the same time there's no doubt in my mind that society would be a lesser place without the cultural contributions of non-STEM.

ReputationRep:
    You memorise the methods, right? Without the methods, how would you solve the problem? You can't use 'creativity' to solve a maths problem.
    You dont just memorise, you understand, think logically. You cant memorise and expect even a 2:2 degree. You have to think logically.

At uni level, it isnt applying a method, its about how that has come about. The logic required isnt something a non STEM degree can teach you.

You are probably unable to fathom the depths to which you a STEM degree goes to since you use the word 'memorise' when in reality you're actually understanding core fundamentals of a subject, processing it and applying it. You dont go into the depth that a non STEM degree does and thats why STEM degrees are preferred for jobs where a specific degree subject isnt needed (e.g. Investment banking)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    how insecure must you be about your career prospects to have to make this thread and reassure yourself?
    im not
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    You're a troll but for the benefit of others, this STEM superiority attitude is nonsense that isn't really that common in reality. And before you accuse me of being a butthurt non-STEMMER, I've done a STEM Master's degree and am starting a STEM PhD in October.

Society needs the whole range of subjects and disciplines to function and be vibrant.
    But a lot of the nonsense degrees are non-STEM. But yes, clearly subjects like law and philosophy are rigorous.

ReputationRep:
    You dont just memorise, you understand, think logically. You cant memorise and expect even a 2:2 degree. You have to think logically.

At uni level, it isnt applying a method, its about how that has come about. The logic required isnt something a non STEM degree can teach you.

You are probably unable to fathom the depths to which you a STEM degree goes to since you use the word 'memorise' when in reality you're actually understanding core fundamentals of a subject, processing it and applying it. You dont go into the depth that a non STEM degree does and thats why STEM degrees are preferred for jobs where a specific degree subject isnt needed (e.g. Investment banking)
    You mean as you do with every other subject?

This is not 'objective'. This is subjective. I mean, you're not even at university! How much can you really know about the matter?

Better question: Why are you so salty about it?

ReputationRep:
    You mean as you do with every other subject?

This is not 'objective'. This is subjective. I mean, you're not even at university! How much can you really know about the matter?

Better question: Why are you so salty about it?
    As i said, you cant fathom the depth that a science subject goes into.

It isnt subjective. Using your logic, a non STEM subject is as valuable as a STEM subject because they both give reasoning skills and problem solving skills. But clearly employers prefer a STEM subject over a non STEM one because of STEM is more respectable in this sense; The core skills taught is more in depth.

Im not salty, you chose to reply not me.

ReputationRep:

It isnt subjective. Using your logic, a non STEM subject is as valuable as a STEM subject because they both give reasoning skills and problem solving skills. But clearly employers prefer a STEM subject over a non STEM one because of STEM is more respectable in this sense; The core skills taught is more in depth.

Why do you even care about what other people do?

ReputationRep:

Didn't you bring up the art of memorising with your comment about Law Degrees?

It's not as if you started this thread not wanting a reply.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you even care about what other people do?
    So you accept im right. Good.

I dont care what individuals do, just making a statement; STEM degrees are objectively better than non STEM degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Didn't you bring up the art of memorising with your comment about Law Degrees?
    Of course
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    It's not as if you started this thread not wanting a reply.
    Im implying that poster was upset because they replied.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.