Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sadiq Khan: There are too many "white men" on Transport for London Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    He's already pulling a "Trudeau".

He's picking TFL's staff based on diversity and not skill "because it's 2016" (note: satire).

This is why I voted Green Party, not because I support them, but because I didn't want to vote for Labour or the Tories.
    Britain First was a decent alternative too.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Welcome to the New London Order. Positive Discrimination 2.0 (not very positive if you happen to be a white male) :erm:

Seriously, **** this ****. I do not, and will never, recognise him as mayor
    No offense, but nobody cares. The 1.3 million people, who voted for him do not care that 'foo.mp3' would not recognize him as Mayor.

It is the same as the millions of people, who voted in David Cameron as PM do not care that other people would not recognize him as PM. Khan is Mayor of London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    No offense, but nobody cares. The 1.3 million people, who voted for him do not care that 'foo.mp3' would not recognize him as Mayor
    That goes without saying - muppets completely unprepared to heed the warnings of those more erudite/conscientious than themselves :rolleyes:

Spoiler:
    Show
    This is very, very bad for Democracy as - once it dawns on those who voted Corbyn/Khan into power exactly what they've done - Labour will, inevitably and as a consequence, spend years in political obscurity at the national governmental level :facepalm2:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Also potentially bad for race relations (although let's hope not) :crossedf:

It is the same as the millions of people, who voted in David Cameron as PM do not care that other people would not recognize him as PM
    I don't recall Cameron making such TFL comments, or having connections to radical Islam, or referring to 'moderate Muslims' as 'Uncle Toms' :dontknow:

Khan is Mayor of London
    Indeed so, but I don't recognise his office or authority. I will never subordinate myself to any Muslim, and especially not a clown like this. Not a sheep
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That goes without saying - muppets completely unprepared to heed the warnings of those more erudite/conscientious than themselves :rolleyes:
    I don't recall Cameron making such TFL comments, or having connections to radical Islam, or referring to 'moderate Muslims' as 'Uncle Toms' :dontknow:

Indeed so, but I don't recognise his office or authority. I will never subordinate myself to any Muslim, and especially not a clown like this. Not a sheep
    Nobody still cares. That is the key, here. We see people shout and complain with their whole being, but, when you look closer, you realize that nobody actually cares.

Whether you recognize his office or authority does not matter. It will not add any value to his office. The fact is that he is the Mayor of London and its leader.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, we're ****ed. Been that way for a while now. This was just the denouement to what's been a prelude of degradation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Nobody still cares. That is the key, here
    I dare say they will care, in time, as per the above forecast

We see people shout and complain with their whole being
    Hyperbolism doesn't lend any gravity to your comments, my fresh friend

Whether you recognize his office or authority does not matter
    This is true, not least because I spent very little of my time in London these days, and would not incite others to anarchy

The fact is that he is the Mayor of London and its leader
    Fo' reals? :shock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    God-forbid people be appointed to the board on merit, rather than pigmentation or genitalia.
    (Original post by BrightonDunkley)
    Diversity for the sake of diversity infuriates me. People should be appointed based solely on whether they are best for the position and should have nothing to do with their race, genitalia, religion or sexual orientation!
    don't you think the lack of diversity on the board could indicate that the current process for appointment isn't based solely on merit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    don't you think the lack of diversity on the board could indicate that the current process for appointment isn't based solely on merit?
    No, I have no evidence of that. I only have the fact that there is 16 members and they are all white it doesn't say anything about how they were picked, what the selection process was or what they have done in the job.

Even if it were done on colour of skin which is completely ridiculous it would be 2 none white board members out of 16 for it to be representative of the U.K. Population as only 12% of people aren't white

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I dare say they will care, in time, as per the above forecast

Hyperbolism doesn't lend any gravity to your comments, my fresh friend

This is true, not least because I spent very little of my time in London these days, and would not incite others to anarchy

Fo' reals? :shock:
    Let us wait and see whether the people will care 'in time', my unfresh friend.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't. There are clear anti-discrimination laws in place, and I don't think those in charge of recruitment are racist, nor do I have any reason to believe they are.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No I don't. There are clear anti-discrimination laws in place, and I don't think those in charge of recruitment are racist, nor do I have any reason to believe they are.
    There are clear anti-Semitic laws in place and I don't think those in Government are necessarily bigots, but you do find some people show anti-Semitic views. I think if one looks closer, one may find that the recruitment may not have been that clear-cut. The whole reason people are having this conversation is because Sadiq Khan brought it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrSplash)
    . All these people moaning are white.
    And you know this how, exactly?

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see how an individual's race contributes to his or her ability to perform a task. If they're doing a good job running an organisation, bringing their race into question is creating a problem in a situation where there wasn't one to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    No, I have no evidence of that. I only have the fact that there is 16 members and they are all white it doesn't say anything about how they were picked, what the selection process was or what they have done in the job.

Even if it were done on colour of skin which is completely ridiculous it would be 2 none white board members out of 16 for it to be representative of the U.K. Population as only 12% of people aren't white

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Perhaps you're right - in the case of race, at least. I'm 100% anti-quota, but I think the lack of women is something to flag given that they make up approximately 50% of the population. That's a larger issuer than the board of TfL though, so perhaps not suitable for this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oblivion99)
    not a stereotype love, but factual and true . painting yourselves as victims once again, well done
    Blatently is a stereotype so thank you for your worthless contribution.

And if we're talking about people victimising themselves, we can immediately look at Khan anyway. First day of being mayor and in an interview he spoke at length about how prominent Islamophobia is in the UK despite just having won the election!

Completely boll*cks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raspberr1es)
    Blatently is a stereotype so thank you for your worthless contribution.

And if we're talking about people victimising themselves, we can immediately look at Khan anyway. First day of being mayor and in an interview he spoke at length about how prominent Islamophobia is in the UK despite just having won the election!

Completely boll*cks.
    prejudice towards muslims (or those who 'look like muslims' to bigots) is a thing though, right? i don't have any stats but surely you aren't claiming it doesn't exist at all?

ReputationRep:
    THANK GOD I DON'T LIVE IN ****ING LONDON

This man is on about the appearance of a board for ****ing transport

ReputationRep:
    prejudice towards muslims (or those who 'look like muslims' to bigots) is a thing though, right? i don't have any stats but surely you aren't claiming it doesn't exist at all?
    Not saying it isn't a thing because it is, I just think it is overexaggerated. For the majority of UK people, myself included, the value of someone is assessed on what their character and ethics are like, rather than their ethnicity or religion. Only the select few think otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    God-forbid people be appointed to the board on merit, rather than pigmentation or genitalia.

Exactly like:
    "the transport system isn't working because there's not enough brown men on it. I'm here to step in and save the day for the city that picked me simply because I'm brown and Muslim"

Tha hell?

(Original post by BrightonDunkley)
    Diversity for the sake of diversity infuriates me. People should be appointed based solely on whether they are best for the position and should have nothing to do with their race, genitalia, religion or sexual orientation!

I agree but in reality it sounds a bit unrealistic and utopic mate because you'll always get complaints so the gov't seeks to appease
    but for something like THIS

In London check the crime rate
    the dropout rate I'm sure is exponential
    the teen mum rate
    the drugs
    the education standard and equality

He needs to fix that not ****ing transport board members

Lol I'm so annoyed haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foo.mp3)
    welcome to the new london order. positive discrimination 2.0 (not very positive if you happen to be a white male) :erm:

seriously, **** this ****. i do not, and will never, recognise him as mayor
    looooooooool

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.