Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Your source? I find this extremely hard to believe. Not that I'm saying it's common however.
    There are many cases of men dressing as women and going into changing rooms, dormitories and toilets to sexually assault women and girls, but mostly in the USA.

How you would know if those men were really transgender women or not I don't know. If people are self identifying as genders then I don't know how you are supposed to make that decision, especially if you're a child in a changing room and someone is trying to assault you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katty3)
    http://m.mic.com/articles/114066/sta...oms#.jiHRD7gZg

It's American, but I can find absolutely no evidence of such a thing ever happening.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you've found 1 source for 1 country and conclude because of this, the total number of the incident happening is 0?

Have to take into account that not every incident may be reported either,
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    http://m.mic.com/articles/114066/sta...oms#.jiHRD7gZg

It's American, but I can find absolutely no evidence of such a thing ever happening.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    An article by a SJW. Regardless of that, I imagine one would have to delve through all the cases for legal battles to find any cases, they're hardly going to be publicised

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The most effective treatment for gender dysphoria is transitioning. Denying transgender people this actually increases the suicide rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Citations. The only sources I can find that suggest that are sources trying to rebut claims that surgery has no significant effect by trying to argue the methodology is dodgy rather than actually providing evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This bill seems to pose more questions than it answers.

Leaning towards nay.

ReputationRep:
    This is the current position of the government on this issue,
    TLDR, cogs are turning, but they are turning slowly
    Spoiler:
    Show

"Within the current Parliament, the Government must bring forward proposals to update the Gender Recognition Act, in line with the principles of gender self-declaration that have been developed in other jurisdictions. In place of the present medicalised, quasi-judicial application process, an administrative process must be developed, centred on the wishes of the individual applicant, rather than on intensive analysis by doctors and lawyers."

You can read the Committee's full report on its website:http://www.publications.parliament.u...eq/390/390.pdf

We thought you may be interested to know what the next steps are and what is currently happening.

Normally, the Government responds to House of Commons Committee reports and its specific recommendations within two months. The response will say whether they agree or disagree with the recommendations and, if it agrees, how it plans to implement the recommendations.

The Women and Equalities Committee is still awaiting this Government response and recently asked the Government when it will arrive. The reply from Nicky Morgan MP, the Government Minister for Women and Equalities reads:

"I am writing to let you know that there will be a delay in publishing the Government’s response to your committee’s report on transgender equality.

As I mentioned at the Women and Equalities OPQs on 14 March, the Government welcomed your report and is studying the recommendations in detail. However, this process is taking time. Your report called for very significant changes to the legislative framework around gender recognition, as well as significant reforms of NHS and other public service processes, covering around a dozen different public bodies in total. We are looking through these carefully, but we are not yet in a position to issue a substantive response on all of them.

I understand that you were hoping to see the Government’s response immediately after the Easter recess. Unfortunately, we need more time to ensure the best possible response to your report overall. But I will keep you informed of progress and let you know the publication date in good time."

ReputationRep:
    There are two genders, male and female, both of which are genetically determined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banter_lad_m8)
    There are two genders, male and female, both of which are genetically determined.
    Psychology disagrees with you on that one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Psychology disagrees with you on that one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Psychological disorders aren't genders.

ReputationRep:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    No, mental health issues should be treated, not encouraged, but then the left has issues with that idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, the old "people different to me are wrong and must be mentally ill". Now that it's no longer acceptable to call gay people mentally ill, we seem to have moved on to trans people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    And that's the reason I find this whole thing of being non-binary or relating to the sex you're not ****ing ridiculous!

Why should a 9 year old girl have to be in a bathroom where there could be some 40 year old guy who 'identifies' as female...

Similarly, I'd've probably freaked the **** out (literally probably would've **** myself) if I were in a toilet at the age of 9 and saw some woman who identified as male in there!
    This happens all the time. Cleaners are sometimes of the opposite sex, and very old.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by KomradeKorbyn)
    Ah, the old "people different to me are wrong and must be mentally ill". Now that it's no longer acceptable to call gay people mentally ill, we seem to have moved on to trans people.
    Eventually people will be arguing schizophrenia is perfectly normal and shouldn't be treated.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    And that's the reason I find this whole thing of being non-binary or relating to the sex you're not ****ing ridiculous!

Why should a 9 year old girl have to be in a bathroom where there could be some 40 year old guy who 'identifies' as female...

Similarly, I'd've probably freaked the **** out (literally probably would've **** myself) if I were in a toilet at the age of 9 and saw some woman who identified as male in there!
    When I was a kid I was always in the women's changing rooms when we went swimming because we went with mum, not dad - I didn't freak out. Plus in the day and age where we get more and more unisex changing rooms, I don't think many people would be bothered once they bring their head out of the past.

Pretty stupid argument I think

Aye

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Is this a joke bill? :lolwut:
    Transexuals have penetrated our government. Obviously blackmailing them to get anything they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Aye, a brilliant step forward, more and more people are openly identifying as non-binary and we need to recognise this. People are no longer allowing society to label them as hetrosexual or homosexual, or as man or woman. People exist outside of these binaries, and it is time we together in society move forward and realise this, accept this, understand it is normal, that it is okay and treat people who identify as non-binary as anyone else.
    Your argument is silly for heterosexualist/homosexuality and bi-sexuality. There is really not problem there.

It is deeply problematic for male and female gender issues. Most of all because this is going to be used as a trojan by trannies to force their miss guided beliefs about being one sex on everyone else. The fact is, in that respect, a male dressed up, made up and altered with hormones or plastic surgery is not a true biological female as far as science and a great many heterosexual men are concerned.

The practicality of it is also absurd where I am pretty sure that the majority of people are mostly happy with gender roles with the worst aspects of those already being diluted.

ReputationRep:
    This does not seem the appropriate solution to me. We live in a much more online world and once someone puts Mx on an eform I can imagine hidden and unprovable discrimination taking place.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    How are you currently being damaged due to the lack of legal recognition?
    I'm not being damaged by anything because I am a male, I am not transgender or non-binary. I just thought it would be an interesting debate and a good bill to pass.

(Original post by RileyFox)
    Sorry, I'm not following. Are you saying this is a law declaring:

a. Only non binary people can use the title Mx and nobody else can.
    b. Everyone can use all titles except non-binary people who can only use the title Mx.

Either way it's an unfair and restrictive law.
    (Original post by Aph)
    I don't think that gender identity needs protection as it comes under sexuality surely?
    Also people don't have the right to Mr and Miss ect. By law so why Mx? Surely it should be allowed to be common in society and then become recognised.

(Original post by barnetlad)
    This does not seem the appropriate solution to me. We live in a much more online world and once someone puts Mx on an eform I can imagine hidden and unprovable discrimination taking place.
    I'm inclined to remove the titling in the bill, as Aph states, I did not realise other titles were codified in law so he is right it would make not sense to do it here.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    That's not true, I don't target children.
    Fire above the hip then?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by DanE1998)
    I'm not being damaged by anything because I am a male, I am not transgender or non-binary. I just thought it would be an interesting debate and a good bill to pass.

So the bill has no material impact beyond making a small minority happy. That's all i needed to know.

This is a Nay.

May i also say that this is bill number (6 i think) of the term and i'm yet to give an Aye. In the words of the Queen Vic.. 'i am not amused'. Try harder and stop putting out nonsense.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.