Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Isabella d'Anjou)
    It does not necessarily offend me - it is more that I find it strange that on a thread where I am simply offering to answer questions people would ask this sort of thing on a student site? I am 21 so it does not matter much to me !

I love Maths and I am naturally good at it so it seemed like the most appropriate thing to do. I also really wanted to study at Oxford because my brother studied there and that is where I study.
    Ah, people like that exist everywhere on the internet, but we try to keep a leash on them!

That sounds really good. I wish you the best of luck, Oxford is a fantastic university and Maths is a very good subject.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone on TSR!

I'm Bella and I'm from France but living in the UK for university.

I haven't really used TSR much since I joined but AMA
    Hello you beautiful french girl. Will you ever go on a date?

ReputationRep:
    You are very pretty !

Well yes my English is good as Im practically bilingual as my mum is half English. But I think because I grew up in France and have only been here for two years it is just not as perfect as I want it to be. I want to grasp colloquial aspects of the language more but because I study maths this is difficult somewhat.

What course do you study ?
    aww thank you haha <3

aah i see, you can still attend some English classes if you'd like, alongside studying? that may help you improve!
    and im studying law, second year, just one more year left to go woo

ReputationRep:
    hi names lascelles, may I ask what uni u go and whats ur hobbies??

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay in French we leave spaces between ? and ! is this wrong or does this affect the sentence ?

Thank you for the Grammarly suggestion I will look for this; is there a version for French that can help you ?

What is Toastmasters club ?
    Interesting, I didn't know that. Yes, in English, that's definitely incorrect. It doesn't change the meaning of the sentence, as a space in front of punctuation is never used, but it definitely is annoying to the eyes, and will flag you as a non-native speaker. Whenever I've hired writers (and am looking for native speakers - though you'd be fine, it's more to screen out the people who are very low-quality) seeing a space in front of punctuation has been an immediate sign to stop reading and move onto the next one. I've always used it as the single biggest individual indicator that I shouldn't read further (which unfortunately screens out people such as yourself, but fortunately it's easy to fix).

No problem It's a little pricey, but definitely worth it, and it'll improve your essays. I believe it works in French too, you can always try the trial to confirm.

Toastmasters is a public speaking club, it's really helpful. I'm the VPPR (Vice President Public Relations) for mine. It'll help with your English, structuring, as well as confidence and public speaking (both of which are very handy at interviews, as well as in a general work environment). See if you have one near you, you should be able to go along for a couple of meetings for free to see if it would be beneficial. https://www.toastmasters.org/Find-a-Club

EDIT: I see you mentioned idioms above. It may be a good idea to check out Duolingo (it's free). You should be able to speed through it with ease, but I know one of the courses you can buy with lingots (free tokens you get for completing units) covers idioms.

ReputationRep:
    Who are your favorite Europeans?

People, not country, you obviously think the UK is great for studying.

ReputationRep:
    Oh brilliant ! What do you hope to do after ? Where are you studying ?
    im studying at uni of birmingham and im hoping to lecture in law, but i wouldnt mind working in a law firm either

wbu?

ReputationRep:
    What's your favourite type of Jellyfish?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have one ! I don't understand this question lol do you have a favourite type ?
    no i hate jellyfish

ReputationRep:
    will you practice french with me for my french a2 if i practice english with you for yours? Not that you seem to need it

ReputationRep:
    I like the Portuguese people actually very much. They are so friendly and I love Fado ! you heard this music ?
    Buraka Som Sistema

And yes, I have heard that before, too, that the Portuguese are a friendly people.

What other people have you met in more depth?

ReputationRep:
    Hi . I work in medical profession.! Would love to meet someone who is enthusiastic n fun. Jay x

ReputationRep:
    Why Oxford not Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone on TSR!

I'm Bella and I'm from France but living in the UK for university.

I haven't really used TSR much since I joined but AMA
    Hi! I'm from the UK learning French (but a really stiff London accent butchers everything lmao). 'R's are killers sometimes. What's it like to hear a Brit try to speak French confidently, but flawed?

ReputationRep:
    Pick a number between 1-4 pls :bell:

ReputationRep:
    My brother was at Oxford so we visited him a lot and in my first year he was in his last year so this was easy for us. I just think I prefer Oxford. Also the Maths at Cambridge is well, I am not sure if you know ? I do love Maths and wanted to study it but I think the Cambridge Maths may be a bit much in the environment.
    Ah ok . You mean like the maths course is full on or...?

ReputationRep:

This is a weird question Fiduciam.
    It wasn't a question, Bella. :hand:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Welcome to TSR. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean ? Will I ever go on a date ? Of course !
    Let's go on a date then. I'm Portuguese by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isabella d'Anjou;[url="tel:64706229")
    64706229[/url]]Oh cool what do you do ?
    I work in emergency planning for the medical services in london. If you fancy getting to know further pm me. Look forward to hearing from you x

ReputationRep:
    I think you may have accidentally missed my question, so I'll post it again because I'm genuinely interested in an answer lol:

How do the French view French Canadians or Quebec? How does their French sound like

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.