The Student Room Group

Muslim girls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hydeman
With all due respect, your complaint then amounts to 'we have the wrong kind of separation/segregation.' I also don't think there are that many people who do describe all Muslims as terrorists, though there is a great tendency among the Muslim community to assume that any criticism is essentially the same as saying 'Muslims = terrorists', which isn't altogether unjustified, given the existence of vocal groups who say exactly that.

You want both anti-Muslim as well as anti-Islam threads stopped? I only half-agree, if that's the case.

Agreed, but this is much like stating the obvious: that one would prefer for crimes not to be committed in the first place than to punish them after they've occurred. There's no way to guarantee that, I'm afraid.

Whether something is degrading or insulting is entirely subjective, and often used by people who know this very well to try to silence opposition. As such, I don't agree; nobody has the right not to be offended and, equally, people are more than welcome to not read threads that offend them.

Though I think there's a good argument to be made about adding a customisable filter to the Latest Discussions feature so that it's possible to select which forums/subforums one wants to be kept up to date with. Then, you can simply untick the box next to Debates and Current Affairs if you don't want to see too much anti-Islam stuff.

It's very important to 'insult' Islam (I would say 'criticise', but we'll go with your word), as it is to 'insult' Roman Catholicism and other superstitions. You obviously don't agree, presumably because you're religious yourself, but while it may seem intuitive that if people simply suppressed their disagreement with/dislike of your religion, its adherents would instantly be better off, there's no reason to think that this would be the case. Rather, in silencing opposition voices, it would make extremist voices seem louder.

Doing away with free inquiry has never produced the positive results one would think. :tongue:

I actually agree with that notion, that silencing the opposition doesn't really help anyone and just suppresses an issue and removes the right to free and open speech. If people weren't allowed to question things, or criticize anything- then everything would simply be filtered and censored in order to avoid causing offense. That being said, criticism of a religion is different to degrading, I'm against the 'crackhead, cave men Muslim comments' but not against the 'why bother to fast?' comments. The latter can be responded to because it's a question deriving from an opinion. This opinion can't be changed, but it could be explained why others do fast and see it differently to make it clearer instead of forcing this person to agree blindly with the Islamic point of view.
I think this would also be a good time to mention that only my family is Muslim, and that currently I'm living a whooping lie by wearing the hijab and therefore pretending to be part of the religion. You're probably wondering why the heck would I defend this religion, and get offended by people who poke fun or insult the religion and it's simply because I don't believe that prejudice should be encouraged in any format, especially by labeling Muslims terrorists and insulting the religion. Religions can be critisized, but degrading the people of that religion is wrong and that is what I've ultimately come to realise is what shouldn't be around. Yes, I did deceive you in a way with the pronouns leading you to believe I am a Muslim. Other Muslims will probably feel worse towards me being like this, but I want them to know that I'm defending on from my own moral point of view rather than a religiously-driven one. That's why I'm anonymous, because I know people IRL on tsr and they really can't know about this. It gets really hard sometimes to be how I am, a total hypocrite that gets offended by hate towards Muslims when I am not Muslim myself. I do not hate Islam, I do not hate Muslims- I just am not part of the faith anymore and have been so for 3 years. When explained like that, it's stupid, I know.
Hydeman, you seem like a intelligent person, and I can respect that. It's difficult for me to express myself in a way that's in any way intellectual, so I'm just trying to be honest. That's all I can do.
Original post by shahida sulaiman
I said nonviolent not violent !!!!!:wink:

Is there any difference between between nonviolent and not violent?

If there is, then I will go with your own word. I am nonviolent. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I actually agree with that notion, that silencing the opposition doesn't really help anyone and just suppresses an issue and removes the right to free and open speech. If people weren't allowed to question things, or criticize anything- then everything would simply be filtered and censored in order to avoid causing offense. That being said, criticism of a religion is different to degrading, I'm against the 'crackhead, cave men Muslim comments' but not against the 'why bother to fast?' comments. The latter can be responded to because it's a question deriving from an opinion. This opinion can't be changed, but it could be explained why others do fast and see it differently to make it clearer instead of forcing this person to agree blindly with the Islamic point of view.
I think this would also be a good time to mention that only my family is Muslim, and that currently I'm living a whooping lie by wearing the hijab and therefore pretending to be part of the religion. You're probably wondering why the heck would I defend this religion, and get offended by people who poke fun or insult the religion and it's simply because I don't believe that prejudice should be encouraged in any format, especially by labeling Muslims terrorists and insulting the religion. Religions can be critisized, but degrading the people of that religion is wrong and that is what I've ultimately come to realise is what shouldn't be around. Yes, I did deceive you in a way with the pronouns leading you to believe I am a Muslim. Other Muslims will probably feel worse towards me being like this, but I want them to know that I'm defending on from my own moral point of view rather than a religiously-driven one. That's why I'm anonymous, because I know people IRL on tsr and they really can't know about this. It gets really hard sometimes to be how I am, a total hypocrite that gets offended by hate towards Muslims when I am not Muslim myself. I do not hate Islam, I do not hate Muslims- I just am not part of the faith anymore and have been so for 3 years. When explained like that, it's stupid, I know.
Hydeman, you seem like a intelligent person, and I can respect that. It's difficult for me to express myself in a way that's in any way intellectual, so I'm just trying to be honest. That's all I can do.

If you look around TSR, you may find that there are many other 'Muslims' who are in the same/similar position as you. It is not strange at all. In fact, it is perfectly normal. :h: I agree that there is a fundamental difference between criticising a religion and simply being disrespectful to the people of said religion. It makes perfect sense for you to feel somewhat offended if a person was to generalise all Muslims - I also get rather uncomfortable when people do that.

No one leaves a religion overnight. It takes time. I hope it all goes well for you. :smile:

Ah, okay. I can agree with that (highlighted) entirely.

I think this would also be a good time to mention that only my family is Muslim, and that currently I'm living a whooping lie by wearing the hijab and therefore pretending to be part of the religion. You're probably wondering why the heck would I defend this religion, and get offended by people who poke fun or insult the religion and it's simply because I don't believe that prejudice should be encouraged in any format, especially by labeling Muslims terrorists and insulting the religion. Religions can be critisized, but degrading the people of that religion is wrong and that is what I've ultimately come to realise is what shouldn't be around. Yes, I did deceive you in a way with the pronouns leading you to believe I am a Muslim. Other Muslims will probably feel worse towards me being like this, but I want them to know that I'm defending on from my own moral point of view rather than a religiously-driven one.

Those are respectable points of view, and I commend you for defending the rights of people you disagree with. :biggrin:

That's why I'm anonymous, because I know people IRL on tsr and they really can't know about this. It gets really hard sometimes to be how I am, a total hypocrite that gets offended by hate towards Muslims when I am not Muslim myself. I do not hate Islam, I do not hate Muslims- I just am not part of the faith anymore and have been so for 3 years. When explained like that, it's stupid, I know.

That's alright - it's perfectly natural to still feel an allegiance to one's family and community independent of differences in religious opinion. You're not a hypocrite. :smile:

As it happens, and not to shamelessly promote it too much, we have an Ex-Muslim Society on TSR (and an associated thread, for discussing issues relating to ex-Muslims and general jokes/chatter), if you want somewhere to talk to like-minded people. You can create a new account that the people you know in real life don't know about for that purpose. I must warn you though: we do make quite a lot of Islam-related jokes (nothing like 'Muslims = terrorists' or 'crackhead, cavemen' though :colondollar:).

Hydeman, you seem like a intelligent person, and I can respect that.

Haha, thanks! You sound pretty intelligent yourself. :biggrin:

It's difficult for me to express myself in a way that's in any way intellectual, so I'm just trying to be honest. That's all I can do.

Being honest is far more important than sounding 'intellectual' (whatever that means), so don't worry about it. You're welcome to discuss these things in the ExMusSoc (shameless plugging, sorry!), if you want.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
Is there any difference between between nonviolent and not violent?

If there is, then I will go with your own word. I am nonviolent. :smile:

Hahaha!!! Lol !!! I meant was that I said u were nonviolent , not........ Violent!!!!!
@Legendary Quest -Same for me, I also strongly dislike generalising like that with an entire group of people following Islam. Also, thank you for the support, :h:

@Hydeman It's good to know that I'm not a hypocrite, I'd never thought of it that way before. (the whole family allegiance thing, I just pitied myself far too much without giving it more thought)
And I'll make another account and check out that thread, I'll tag you in there when I do. Thanks for discussing things with me without forcing opinions or anything like that, it was actually quite refreshing. :smile:
Hahaha!!! Lol !!! I meant was that I said u were nonviolent , not........ Violent!!!!!

That is fine. Cheers for that. :smile:
That is fine. Cheers for that. :smile:

(^_−)☆😊😜
You can't really say muslim girls "never" date non-muslims. An example is Zayn Malik (Former Member of One Direction). His father is a Pakistani Muslim, but his mother was born into a British/Irish family. She however converted to muslim when she got married. My friend also has a white mother who converted when getting married.
R u Pakistani!!!!?????
Original post by Zeeennn
You can't really say muslim girls "never" date non-muslims. An example is Zayn Malik (Former Member of One Direction). His father is a Pakistani Muslim, but his mother was born into a British/Irish family. She however converted to muslim when she got married. My friend also has a white mother who converted when getting married.

R u???
R u???

Nope. I'm not a muslim as well.
R u???

Oh!!!ok!!! I was just curious!!!:wink::0
@Hydeman It's good to know that I'm not a hypocrite, I'd never thought of it that way before. (the whole family allegiance thing, I just pitied myself far too much without giving it more thought)
And I'll make another account and check out that thread, I'll tag you in there when I do. Thanks for discussing things with me without forcing opinions or anything like that, it was actually quite refreshing. :smile:

No problem at all; see you soon! :woo:
(^_−)☆😊😜

:crown:
Reply 115
Original post by Longshot800
Because of their religion.

Either that or they'll get honour killed.

Come on now don't get tied up with the misunderstanding concept of honour killings...they are killings linked to cultural reasons that aim on preserving the honour and dignity of a family/community. Nothing to do with Islam my friend 😉
:crown:

:tongue::wink:
Original post by Saad69
Why? Don't marry then duh

Who the **** said I was gonna marry one? So are you saying it's alright to force your future husband/wife to convert to Islam?
Have you been living under a rock? Muslim girls are dating non-Muslim guys left, right and centre - they just keep it on the down low cos they don't want their friends gossiping about it and their parents finding out. They like getting into casual relationships with white guys (or whoever) just to find out what dating is like before they get married off to someone else (Muslim obvs) whom their parents have chosen. Simple Muslim family dynamics - I don't agree with any of it but WTH, you can't stop a thirsty Muslim girl from dating and sleeping around if she wants to. God knows she won't be getting any action after she's married, lol. :tongue:
Original post by The person
Who the **** said I was gonna marry one? So are you saying it's alright to force your future husband/wife to convert to Islam?

Yo genius i said dont marry a muslim secondly Muslim males are allowed to have christian or jewish wives

Quick Reply