Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

England Euro 2016 team announced Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    don't be salty
    His finishing is terrible and you know it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Which 5 games are these? I've only found these:

Sunderland - 6 minutes
    Man City - 66 minutes
    Aston Villa - 69 minutes

Being fit and being able to run is not the same thing as being match fit.
    3 under 21 games, and I wasn't counting the 6 minute one.

Yeah but playing 8 matches is being match fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    His finishing is terrible and you know it.
    10+ goals a year for 3 years now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    10+ goals a year for 3 years now
    Not a true measure of finishing ability though is it, in a team like City you would expect he would have a lot of chances so he will eventually score goals. Martial has 17 goals in a less attacking team in his first season in the PL.

I'm probably being harsh on him but I don't expect Sterling to be scoring goals for England where he is not going to receive the service he does at City. It's not like he has loads of assists either but he could still be useful for England in that respect, his pace will be useful on the counter too. I'm an England fan so I'm happy for him to prove me wrong on the goal scoring front but I'm not holding by breath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    I suppose the choice is more Defoe vs Rashford. They'd occupy the exact same role in the squad, a poacher coming off the bench if we need a goal, and would never be the front 2 playing together. As you said, Defoe is experienced, Rashford is an unknown for the opposition, but is that really enough reason to take both?
    Looking at the last Euros, Defoe played just 15 minutes, and this time around the strikers ahead of him in the pecking order are a lot better than they were then, so I don't see there being anywhere near enough minutes for both of them.

Agree to disagree on that I guess. Personally, seeing Milner or Smalling on the teamsheet at left back against any decent pacey winger would make me a lot more worried than if it was Bertrand. It's only one single injury until we are talking starting XI rather than cover.
    If we're getting chances but Kane or Vardy isn't finishing them or are looking all wrong, Defoe will come on. If there's a spark missing in that position or if a goal is needed in 20 minutes, time for Rashford. If there's service lacking and it just needs a guy to knock things on, Deeney.

The difference between this Euros and the last Euros is I'm manager, different approach, different tactics.

Cover is cover. They don't become non-cover the moment they start covering. No one is concerned about the centre back cover, and I've been attacked for saying Roy should play Forster or someone other than Hart in some friendlies because 'lol Hart will never get injured or sent off, Euro 2000 was a one-off, so why bother?'

ReputationRep:
    Of course Woy was going to pick Wayne Wooney even though he is especially lazy and unmotivated in big competitions Defoe would have been a way better choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ylandlater)
    Of course Woy was going to pick Wayne Wooney even though he is especially lazy and unmotivated in big competitions Defoe would have been a way better choice
    Its true that Defoe is hungry, but I think Rooney will do better (goals wise) in a team where he doesn't have to constantly track back to midfield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    3 under 21 games, and I wasn't counting the 6 minute one.

Yeah but playing 8 matches is being match fit.
    Another 66 minutes under his belt but sounds like Wilshere didn't have a great game/not match sharp yet?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.