The Student Room Group

Nigel Farage calls for second referendum

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmallTownGirl
Well then clearly if the racists (I'm sorry, 'Euroskeptics':wink: win and people vote to leave then we should also have another referendum.

how is one racist for wanting to leave the EU? when racism is when someone believes that a particular race is superior to another?????

bigot
Original post by NickLCFC
Source?

British Social Attitudes Survey, a respected source of polling data.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/27/-sp-racism-on-rise-in-britain

Figure of people in UK confessing to racial prejudice was 30% in 2013. Real figure will be higher as people are reluctant to admit negative opinions to pollsters - also that was of the whole population, so it is likely that racism amongst whites is higher.

Original post by Fullofsurprises

Figure of people in UK confessing to racial prejudice was 30% in 2013. Real figure will be higher as people are reluctant to admit negative opinions to pollsters - also that was of the whole population, so it is likely that racism amongst whites is higher.

how do you they are white?
Original post by The gains kinggg
how do you they are white?

Logic apart from anything else. The UK is 87% white, so even in the implausible situation that only people from the non-white populations admitted to being racially prejudiced, that would still only make up 13%. So even if that was true, it would mean that something approaching 20% of all whites were racially prejudiced.

A good indicator is that the South West, which is the whitest region in Britain, returned a 31% racist result.
Original post by Jebedee
Well how would you address the impartiality on behalf of the government then? Obviously you want to ignore it because you want to remain.

Why on earth would government be impartial? We live in a party political state in which the PM was elected despite people knowing full well that he's a Euro-phile.

If skeptics want to leave the EU then they should vote for a Euro-skeptic leader in the next Tory or Labour leadership elections.
Logic apart from anything else. The UK is 87% white, so even in the implausible situation that only people from the non-white populations admitted to being racially prejudiced, that would still only make up 13%. So even if that was true, it would mean that something approaching 20% of all whites were racially prejudiced.

A good indicator is that the South West, which is the whitest region in Britain, returned a 31% racist result.

I suspect that racist is a bit strong since being racist means actively discriminating. I'm certainly prejudiced against Muslims (in that i have a very negative outlook to them as a group) but i don't advocate any kind of racial discrimination (far from it, law and order are paramount and a cohesive society must be maintained).

I wouldn't say that having 'some level of racial prejudice' means people are racist. If 30% of the population really were racist then you definitely wouldn't see the current political landscape we have in this country today, otherwise you'd see the likes of the BNP and the National Front getting a lot more votes.

It's interesting how you assume that racism is more prevalent among white people specifically though. Data on racial tolerance across world would suggest otherwise.

As reported by the Washington Post:

Predominately white countries are the most racially tolerant countries in the world so it's not really fair to say that the figure would be higher if only white people were polled. If anything, judging by the survey I just posted, people from a non-white immigrant background would make up a disproportionate amount of that 29% figure.

Regardless, you really can't use the survey you just posted to justify that '30% of the white electorate is racist'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Why on earth would government be impartial? We live in a party political state in which the PM was elected despite people knowing full well that he's a Euro-phile.

If skeptics want to leave the EU then they should vote for a Euro-skeptic leader in the next Tory or Labour leadership elections.

Here's why you're wrong. The key to winning an election, especially these days is swaying the fence sitters and those who generally do not vote.

Your argument is that the government are allowed to sway these people and people who want to leave should do the same. But the government are using public funds to sway the public. This is a luxury the 'out' crowd do not have...so how is that fair exactly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending