gnightttttttttt
    yes goodnight...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    An arithmetical error in M2 cost me 100% (in terms of UMS) in A-level Maths

ReputationRep:
    I don't make mistakes.

Well in C2 I forgot to note that 0 was a solution to a quadratic before dividing through by x. I got 87/100 in that exam and my Maths A Level consequently ended up at 587/600, haunting.

(Original post by Indeterminate)
    An arithmetical error in M2 cost me 100% (in terms of UMS) in A-level Maths
    Way you've written that sounds like it could have cost you all the marks
    Would've been some arithmetical error

ReputationRep:
    Question bio edexcel igcse. Looked at the diagrams for a natural selection question the wrong way round so did the whole question the opposite way. Lost 5 marks
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I don't make mistakes.

Well in C2 I forgot to note that 0 was a solution to a quadratic before dividing through by x. I got 87/100 in that exam and my Maths A Level consequently ended up at 587/600, haunting.

Way you've written that sounds like it could have cost you all the marks
    Would've been some arithmetical error
    Haha sorry

But it cost me 2 UMS when I was hoping for a clean sweep :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Haha sorry

But it cost me 2 UMS when I was hoping for a clean sweep :cry2:
    better than my 13 lol
    I also had similar situations with further maths; in S3 I misread questions to drop 4 UMS and then in FP3 I spent too long doubting an answer and ran out of time to drop 5, and those were all my lost UMS for the A Level, so unnecessarily parted with..
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    better than my 13 lol
    I also had similar situations with further maths; in S3 I misread questions to drop 4 UMS and then in FP3 I spent too long doubting an answer and ran out of time to drop 5, and those were all my lost UMS for the A Level, so unnecessarily parted with..
    ^Yep. 1200 was there for the taking and we were so
    careless to fall short

ReputationRep:
    -For my mock chemistry exam I failed to answer a 20 mark question as I somehow got the impression that only one of the last 2 questions was to be done. Ended up with 76 and the worst thing, my teacher never believed I had forgotten it...but that I somehow done well in the rest of the paper but knew nothing about a major part of the syllabus.

-Second dumbest mistake - allowing someone to cheat off me and getting caught.

ReputationRep:
    For my AS Use of Maths Algebra exam every paper usually has 4 questions, so 4 pages. After we did the exam and the class was talking about what questions came up, they mentioned question 4 which surprised me because I didn't remember a question 4.

I had literally forgotten to an entire page of the exam, and to make it worse I had already skipped one other page because I got stuck on one of those multipart questions where you need to answer the first to do the rest.

I got an E for that unit, but I just did the retake today and it went quite well (I hope).

ReputationRep:
    according to me 1x1=2. very annoying since i don't realise that i have made the mistake and expand the brackets all wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tropojanja)
    No joke, i did half a page of working out for a 6 mark question and i got zero for forgetting to divide by two. Honestly.

Anyone have their stories to tell about exam mistakes?
    I was being a bit stupid on a multiple choice question, where the options were A, B, C and D. I created a new box called E and wrote none of the above. and then selected that as the answer

ReputationRep:
    Name the "subatomic particles in an atom" (C grade question) and I write about electrons and protons

ReputationRep:
    Answered all the questions on a paper that said Answer Question 1 and one more question.

ReputationRep:
    Not me but during GCSEs we had to "Answer one of the questions for this paper" I.e 1a+b+c+d or 2a+b+c+d etc... A girl decided to answer only 2b and spent the rest of the hour twiddling her thumbs like she was amazing and wondering why people were still writing!

ReputationRep:
    when your answer is 3.45

but they say to one d. p.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    3 times 3 is 6.

I kicked myself when I realised. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    In a reading exam, the options were 'P', 'N' or 'P/N'.
    Somehow, the whole way through that question I was answering everything in terms of 'T', 'F' or 'T/F'

ReputationRep:
    When I did my physics GCSE exam, one of the questions asked something like, 'What evidence shows there is life on other planets?' I literally wrote 'crop circles.'

On my maths A Level last week, a question asked how old a guy called John was. I wrote 18. The previous question asked about his 21st birthday. If he isn't Benjamin Button, then I've got no marks for that question.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tropojanja)
    No joke, i did half a page of working out for a 6 mark question and i got zero for forgetting to divide by two. Honestly.

Anyone have their stories to tell about exam mistakes?
    Well, on Friday I crossed out my name on the front of my exam paper (as I didn't do capitals) and so it looked like I couldn't spell my own name to the person who took it in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.