Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidguettafan)
    AMA

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am one too. Are you upset that you don't believe in an afterlife, and that you won't see your relatives again after they die? My dad died last year so I'm trying to wish for an afterlife but I just can't really force myself to believe in a religion/God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    -God is perfect. Being opened up to perfection is the ultiment fulfillment that leaves nothing else desired.

-Why would it be to the detriment of others? God is infinite and has enough fulfillment to go around to everyone :lol: There is nothing more perfect than perfection, hence nothing you'd want to experience more. Everything one seeks in life is in virtue of biological needs (yet biological needs do not exist in heaven) or of an end of happiness/fulfillment, and so heaven is the ultimate satisfaction of that.

-Again, "God is perfect. Being opened up to perfection is the ultiment fulfillment that leaves nothing else desired".

Tagging someone more knowledgable about Christianity who may be able to help further.
    Also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Also
    Thank you for that kind speech about the Lord but since when were you a believer of Christ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Thank you for that kind speech about the Lord but since when were you a believer of Christ?
    I'm not religious, just arguing that there's nothing logically inconsistent about the idea of heaven as someone suggested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    I'm not religious, just arguing that there's nothing logically inconsistent about the idea of heaven as someone suggested
    Damn straight there isn't!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jf1994)
    By that logic, there are an infinite number of things one could be agnostic about.
    Yep thats called philosophy. People often study philosophy and religion hand in hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsunaomi)
    Do you agree that sometimes you have to acknowledge that there is a god to be an atheist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can you explain the reasoning here please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TMC113)
    Can you explain the reasoning here please?
    As in if there is a God, would you 'banish' him and call him evil?
    It may sound oxymoronic, but if God did exist would you still decide not to follow him because of the suffering and injustices he has caused?
    We went over this in my Philosophy class- Stephen Fry agrees along these lines and I found it interesting
    (Which is acknowledging there could be a God, but not to 'believe' in him, to shun him)

ReputationRep:
    As in if there is a God, would you 'banish' him and call him evil?
    It may sound oxymoronic, but if God did exist would you still decide not to follow him because of the suffering and injustices he has caused?
    We went over this in my Philosophy class- Stephen Fry agrees along these lines and I found it interesting
    (Which is acknowledging there could be a God, but not to 'believe' in him, to shun him)
    "Believe" is sometimes taken to mean "believe in the positive virtues of", but only in a very informal context. To believe in God is literally just that, to believe in his existence, and no atheist believes in that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    "Believe" is sometimes taken to mean "believe in the positive virtues of", but only in a very informal context. To believe in God is literally just that, to believe in his existence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True- just tryna explore a different viewpoint.
    I find it strange how so many atheists speak of how horrible God is but then say he doesn't exist- how is something that doesn't exist bad? :P
    I'm also an athiest/humanist

ReputationRep:
    I find it strange how so many atheists speak of how horrible God is but then say he doesn't exist- how is something that doesn't exist bad? :P
    If he did exist, he would be responsible for the vast amounts of suffering we witness, and therefore isn't all that nice to put it lightly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why are you atheist? And what is a humanist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you think being or feeling mystical is part of the human condition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Do you think being or feeling mystical is part of the human condition?
    Can you explain a bit more what you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can you explain a bit more what you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it human to feel mystical?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Is it human to feel mystical?
    I don't know what feeling "mystical" means and you don't seem to want to explain it to me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what feeling "mystical" means and you don't seem to want to explain it to me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mystical a spiritual sensation you know like religious but without labels. Have you ever felt spiritual?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Mystical a spiritual sensation you know like religious but without labels. Have you ever felt spiritual?
    I still don't know what you mean so I guess the answer is no, I have never felt spiritual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I still don't know what you mean so I guess the answer is no, I have never felt spiritual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't believe you. (LoL)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    I don't believe you. (LoL)
    Does anyone else honestly know what feeling "spiritual" is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.