Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    eh how is falmouth above edinburgh and nottingham?? It's 58th on the complete university guide and 21st on here..
    fu***** bullsh**. rankings ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingYusHalo)
    And that is why, I, as an international student, use international rankings.

Even though international rankings do not have completely opinionated reviews such as 'happiness', they are highly regarded and is obviously better when you're looking for jobs abroad(I would never want to work in the UK).
    I would believe that employers look at QS, ARWU and THE when comparing applicants. These 3 rankings are highly respcted and highly standardised.

I've seen uni's jump 20 places in a single year in Brit rankings. What a load of bullsh*t. An employer would be extremely stupid to rely on UK rankings, and so are you guys.

For student satisfaction, the reason why UCL, LSE and KCL are so low is because most(NOT ALL) of those students are Oxbridge rejects. They had set their standards on Oxbridge, and obviously didn't get in. Now, an Oxbridge minded student would obviously be pissed at a place like UCL. Just a bit of philosophy here.
    Agree completely with your first point - and not so much for the second.

There will be a very moderate bitterness for some in respect to Oxbridge (I personally didn't apply and only cared about UCL or LSE), but mostly because the oxbridge tutoring system is better for most degrees or seen as definitely better which isn't necessarily the case for some grad jobs
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I would believe that employers look at QS, ARWU and THE when comparing applicants. These 3 rankings are highly respcted and highly standardised.
    ]
    No they don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    No they don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Whatever you say fam. Have fun choosing Loughborough and enjoying your ass of for the next 3 years while I go to UCL. But please keep in mind, I'm getting the job
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Whatever you say fam. Have fun choosing Loughborough and enjoying your ass of for the next 3 years while I go to UCL. But please keep in mind, I'm getting the job
    And I recruit people. I'm not a student.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And I recruit people. I'm not a student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh man, take a chill. Just kiddin'.

ReputationRep:
    Eh how is Falmouth above Edinburgh and Nottingham?? It's 58th on the Complete University Guide and 21st on here..
    It's absolutely ridiculous. I've never even heard of Falmouth and they're trying to tell us it's better than 12, I repeat TWELVE, Russel Group unis? What a joke.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    fu***** bullsh**. rankings ****
    :rofl:

From someone who thinks that the QS methodology is robust.

You know ANYONE can register to give their opinions for the QS survey? QS ask universities to share the link for self registration amongst their staff - who then ask their buddies at other universities to join up too. The QS rewards universities that are good at networking for their mutual benefit.

I'm on their respondents list.

The NSS is the toughest measure in any league table to fiddle. The guardian is the toughest league table to do well in because the overall ranking is the sum of the subject rankings. Universities with a few shoddy departments do worse because unlike in the other rankings they can't get away with using their strong performance elsewhere to dazzle the judges.

ReputationRep:
    I read the word guardian then realized that these must be inaccurate af

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

The NSS is the toughest measure in any league table to fiddle.
    Sure they are. So tough to fiddle that there are universities under investigation for doing so.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...ta-reliability

This is why no one takes it seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    :rofl:

From someone who thinks that the QS methodology is robust.

You know ANYONE can register to give their opinions for the QS survey? QS ask universities to share the link for self registration amongst their staff - who then ask their buddies at other universities to join up too. The QS rewards universities that are good at networking for their mutual benefit.

I'm on their respondents list.

The NSS is the toughest measure in any league table to fiddle. The guardian is the toughest league table to do well in because the overall ranking is the sum of the subject rankings. Universities with a few shoddy departments do worse because unlike in the other rankings they can't get away with using their strong performance elsewhere to dazzle the judges.
    I too have always felt QS was a bit cheeky on the side. Their website has some random bullsh*t, kinda like a business. However, ARWU is no joke. These guys are serious in their metrics(though it may not be in interest of high-schoolers). ARWU's website is plain, simple and serious. Their rankings are also well pronounced too, almost nothing looks out of place.
    THE is somewhat like ARWU, but has a bit of that cheeky business side.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I too have always felt QS was a bit cheeky on the side. Their website has some random bullsh*t, kinda like a business. However, ARWU is no joke. These guys are serious in their metrics(though it may not be in interest of high-schoolers). ARWU's website is plain, simple and serious. Their rankings are also well pronounced too, almost nothing looks out of place.
    THE is somewhat like ARWU, but has a bit of that cheeky business side.
    You make your judgement on the reliability of a ranking based on the website appearance?

:facepalm:

Have you come across the duck density rankings? They're not commercial at all.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Oh man, take a chill. Just kiddin'.
    Of course you were.

I can hear the sound of backpedalling from here.

Cambridge top for Biosciences but...

How is Manchester better than Imperial, and why is Sheffield down so low???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevey396)
    It's absolutely ridiculous. I've never even heard of Falmouth and they're trying to tell us it's better than 12, I repeat TWELVE, Russel Group unis? What a joke.
    It's a small town in Cornwall, the uni isn't great at all and most definitely isn't better than KCL or anything, especially not 22 places better!!! I honestly don't always understand league tables - they don't take into account more important things for students such as affordability etc.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It's a small town in Cornwall, the uni isn't great at all and most definitely isn't better than KCL or anything, especially not 22 places better!!! I honestly don't always understand league tables - they don't take into account more important things for students such as affordability etc.
    I guarantee Falmouth is more affordable than London.

ReputationRep:
    I guarantee Falmouth is more affordable than London.
    That's very true

ReputationRep:
    I know these results are sketchy to say the least, but has anyone considered that some places may have climbed up the rankings because they've improved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    I know these results are sketchy to say the least, but has anyone considered that some places may have climbed up the rankings because they've improved?
    It seems wholly improbable to suggest that a plucky East Midlands outfit could genuinely upset an established natural order. When has that ever happened before, I mean in some kind of credible league system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    It seems wholly improbable to suggest that a plucky East Midlands outfit could genuinely upset an established natural order. When has that ever happened before, I mean in some kind of credible league system?
    Haha, when I wonder?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.