Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WJEC BIOLOGY BY1 2016 (NEW AS) Thread Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I did the mitosis one.

(Original post by Iloveclouds)
    I thought generally it was an alright paper but I didn't understand the graph questions with the different kinds of transport as i wasn't sure if it wanted diffusion or passive transport as the answer?
    Also for some reason I did the immobilised enzyme question and i'm regretting it now!
    which 10 marker did you do?
    (Original post by Iloveclouds)
    I thought generally it was an alright paper but I didn't understand the graph questions with the different kinds of transport as i wasn't sure if it wanted diffusion or passive transport as the answer?
    Also for some reason I did the immobilised enzyme question and i'm regretting it now!
    which 10 marker did you do?

ReputationRep:
    Can people stop talking about resits in this thread. The title even says NEW AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverAStudent1)
    Hey i did the old spec. What did you put for the 6 marker on naming the parts of the plant A-E? And for the question of what was at point P and whats processed from the golgibody question?
    A Golgi body
    B SER
    C cell membrane
    D cell wall
    E ribosomes

Thats what I remember. I wasnt sure about SER because I had never seen SER like that before.

Also for P I put hydrolytic enzymes/digestive enzymes because it said 'Substance'.
    Then explained exocytosis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamjos)
    A Golgi body
    B SER
    C cell membrane
    D cell wall
    E ribosomes

Thats what I remember. I wasnt sure about SER because I had never seen SER like that before.

Also for P I put hydrolytic enzymes/digestive enzymes because it said 'Substance'.
    Then explained exocytosis.
    I said that P was a protein

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xColourReign)
    I said that P was a protein
    They most likely will accept anything that could be in a lysosome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemstudent314)
    i think the percentage light transmission threw me off and the vacuum part of the enzyme question, me too i found the micrograph really unclear :/
    We struggled on exactly the same things I lost all bloody marks on that 4+6 light transmission one then chatted crap for the vacuum one. Also made up an answer for the citric acid as he no idea, it's obvious now tho everyone's saying it was so easy and that grade boundaries will be low but I made so many small silly mistakes. Plus yeah the massive microscope of a leaf was so unclear and you could barely differentiate between any of it, none of the organelles except the mitochondria looked like anything I'd ever seen before and I've done every past paper there is for BY1. So annoying that I've been getting 95% in all past papers and then probably got a B or a C in that exam :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelsarepoo)
    We struggled on exactly the same things I lost all bloody marks on that 4+6 light transmission one then chatted crap for the vacuum one. Also made up an answer for the citric acid as he no idea, it's obvious now tho everyone's saying it was so easy and that grade boundaries will be low but I made so many small silly mistakes. Plus yeah the massive microscope of a leaf was so unclear and you could barely differentiate between any of it, none of the organelles except the mitochondria looked like anything I'd ever seen before and I've done every past paper there is for BY1. So annoying that I've been getting 95% in all past papers and then probably got a B or a C in that exam :'(
    I said that citric acid was a competitive inhibitor and talked about how it will block the substrate from forming enzyme substrate complexes therefore slowing the rate of reaction down. The freezing one I had no idea and as for the vacuum one I just made up something like preventing contamination from bad bacteria. I will agree that the micrograph was *****y I had to guess most of it. The water potential question was so bad too... I had no idea what to write so i just wrote everything i knew lol

ReputationRep:
    I said that citric acid was a competitive inhibitor and talked about how it will block the substrate from forming enzyme substrate complexes therefore slowing the rate of reaction down. The freezing one I had no idea and as for the vacuum one I just made up something like preventing contamination from bad bacteria. I will agree that the micrograph was *****y I had to guess most of it. The water potential question was so bad too... I had no idea what to write so i just wrote everything i knew lol
    Ahahah we've done literally exactly the same thing. I wrote that it was an inhibitor and said what you did but that's wrong it's just citric acid alters the ph so will repel substrate. For the vacuum own I said it only goes brown in oxygen which I scribbled down as the invilgaitor was taking my paper and I'd left it blank. I completely bs'ed the water potential one and I know it was wrong. The paper wasn't hard I just made stupid mistakes

ReputationRep:
    Ahahah we've done literally exactly the same thing. I wrote that it was an inhibitor and said what you did but that's wrong it's just citric acid alters the ph so will repel substrate. For the vacuum own I said it only goes brown in oxygen which I scribbled down as the invilgaitor was taking my paper and I'd left it blank. I completely bs'ed the water potential one and I know it was wrong. The paper wasn't hard I just made stupid mistakes
    Damn that sucks ... looking back at it now i feel so stupid because the freezing one was low temperature and the answer was probably less successful collisions with the active site resulting in slower rate of reaction which i should've known... also I forgot to put 0kpa and instead I just put 0 for the pressure question... i'm so frustrated at myself for these stupid mistakes too T_T. I'm hoping for B/C grade. I had an E last year which I was completely taken aback by.. >.>

ReputationRep:
    Damn that sucks ... looking back at it now i feel so stupid because the freezing one was low temperature and the answer was probably less successful collisions with the active site resulting in slower rate of reaction which i should've known... also I forgot to put 0kpa and instead I just put 0 for the pressure question... i'm so frustrated at myself for these stupid mistakes too T_T. I'm hoping for B/C grade. I had an E last year which I was completely taken aback by.. >.>
    I wrote that for the freezing one and I hope I can still get an A, as the grade boundaries are low I might be able to. I got an E last year too but only because I got suuuuuch low UMS in by2 last year hahah. I need an A this year for uni let's pray for low grade boundaries and has anyone made an unofficial paper or mark scheme?? I'm happy to try and piece one together with some people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aledrhys)
    I did the mitosis one.
    I did the mitosis one too! But it screwed me over that it was about a plant, how do they synthesise spindle fibres with no centrioles?! It isn't in the book but mitosis is my jam so hopefully I got 10 on that one. How did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    so have i, I got a c last year and really wanted an a this time but pretty sure i blew it:/ yeah everyones saying it was so easy but I made stupid mistakes too, I did all the papers from 2006 and still messed up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemstudent314)
    so have i, I got a c last year and really wanted an a this time but pretty sure i blew it:/ yeah everyones saying it was so easy but I made stupid mistakes too, I did all the papers from 2006 and still messed up
    We're in exactly the same boat except I got an E lol. Was having a hard time though, so I'm doing all of my 3 a levels AS and A2 this year so really hoped for an A in that to balance out a probable C in By5 but doesn't look good for me either. Do you need an A for uni? If you're going haha. I did every by1 paper I could find which was like 15 and started off getting B's but then ended up getting 95% in most but definitely got a B or a C in that ffs life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valbrechts)
    can people stop talking about resits in this thread. The title even says new as
    the one with the mitosis 10 marker is the new as! Wjec realised 2 papers so some people have sat either one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkdolphinsx)
    Yeah! I was actually getting worried that I'd skipped a page because everyone was going on about fish!

BTW, how did you find the essay Q?
    I wrote about proto-oncogenes and cancer tumours and then the significance of both cell divsions for the fruit fly, dont think it ws enough but that paper was so gross so did my best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    the one with the mitosis 10 marker is the new as! Wjec realised 2 papers so some people have sat either one
    The new spec 9 mark question was on enzyme inhibitors, you must have done the legacy paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemonandlime1)
    The new spec 9 mark question was on enzyme inhibitors, you must have done the legacy paper
    no look, WJEC had two papers, one under 'WJEC' and one under "EDUCAS' - since Educas are now part of Wjec, so forth there were 2 papers for the new spec

ReputationRep:
    In the new spec did they have ebola, ratio questions, how viruses enters a host, sweet potatoes, and a tumour question?
    Because mine was....

ReputationRep:
    Read the title of the forum, stop talking about the old spec!!!! So annoying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luketidley)
    Read the title of the forum, stop talking about the old spec!!!! So annoying
    ur so annoying

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.