Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dankailen)
    i got 32. something for the RAM did anyone get the same??????
    That cant be right. Thats not close to 28/29. You should get a value which is close what it is in the periodic table.

for the empirical formula i got cu as 1.5, hydrogen as 1 carbon as 1 and oxygen as 4 and i left it like that do i get no marks???
    You probably lost 1 or at most 2 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRaza97)
    That cant be right. Thats not close to 28/29. You should get a value which is close what it is in the periodic table.

You probably lost 1 or at most 2 marks.
    but when i did the calculation it came out as 32. something how did you get 28??

ReputationRep:
    but when i did the calculation it came out as 32. something how did you get 28??
    The m/z x abundance + mz x abundance... / 100 = 28.065

You might have misput it into your caclulator.

ReputationRep:
    The m/z x abundance + mz x abundance... / 100 = 28.065

You might have misput it into your caclulator.
    how many marks do i lose? i did the correct calculations

ReputationRep:
    ah so the empirical formula one for me was wrong because I did the other 3 elements and not the 4th one of Cu :/ wow... I got 1:1:4 doe but how did I make that mistake...

ReputationRep:
    how many marks do i lose? i did the correct calculations
    Only 1 mark I think

ReputationRep:
    The shape one was the total marks and the scoring points??

ReputationRep:
    what do you guys think grade boundaries will look like? i predict a lot higher considering this year's cohort only consists of a level retakes

ReputationRep:
    For the last question, surely it was method 2 because the first method was not 100% atom economy as it had 2 steps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yayvillee)
    For the last question, surely it was method 2 because the first method was not 100% atom economy as it had 2 steps?
    I thought this too also with the first step there would be wasted products?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh ur right

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Can someone pm me need to ask regardin paper

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: Thanks to everyone who has helped in this thread. If anyone can remember the marks for each question I will add them in for you guys! Also the Bold stuff after some thought are probably the correct answers or something along the lines of it. Good luck to everyone in the rest of their exams

Here is my unofficial mark scheme. Anything in bold I am not sure if it's right. So if you have any idea then please tell me so i can add it! If i have missed anything out then aslo let me know!

Section A

a) Relative Atomic mass Definition
    b) Magnetic Field
    c) - Ions accept electrons -Current is formed which is proportional to abundance
    d) Something like 28.065 for the RAM
    e) Similarity= Peaks still at original m/z values becuase +1 ions are still formed/
    same relative abundance (or same height of peaks) because same sample is used so similar amount of the isotopes are present
    -Difference - Peaks at half the m/z values becasue high energy electrons will produce +2 ions

2. (Can't rmember what topic this was. I think it was about Van Der Waals)
    a) -Electron Density randomly shifts -Creating areas of +ve and -ve charge on molecule - Attraction between molecules which is intermolecular force/VDW
    b) O-H bond big electronegative difference allows for hydrogen bonds. Hydrogen bonds are stronger than VDW.
    c) Fractional Distiallation will sperate these
    d) The Se molecule is larger. This means the VDW forces are stronger between molecules

3. (Questions about Alkanes?)
    a) Group is alkane
    b) 2,2,4 - trimethylpentane (might accept 2,4,4 - trimethylpentane)
    c) C8H18 + 12.5O2 ------> 9H2O + 8CO2
    d) but-1-ene
    e) C14H30
    f) Thermal Cracking. High temp and high pressure
    g) Isomers question. Chain isomer = H2C=C(CH3)2 Postion isomer = But-2-ene Functional Isomer = Cyclic Alkane so cyclicbutane

4. (The weird reactions and the shapes question?)
    a) Balancing equation I couldn't remember
    b) Cu2(OH)2CO3 + 4HCl -----> 2CuCl2 + 3H2O + CO2
    c) Effervescense
    d) Cu3O8H2C2 or in the structural form
    e) Shapes question - SF6 = Octohedral , 90 degrees -SF4 = See-Saw shape. Lone pair on the horizontal plane. Angles 90, 120 or 180 degrees. Probably will accept -2.5 degrees off each angle.

Section B

5. (Period 3 stuff)
    a) - Ionisation energies increase -Increasing proton number - Similar Shielding -Attraction between outer electron and nuclues gets stronger -The bigger nuclear charge reduces atomic radius (I don't think this point is needed)
    b) -Silicon has highest melting point. -Because of macromolecular/Giant covelant structure. -Strong covelant bonds throughout structure. -Requires high amounts of energy to break.
    c) The elements that you could say were Aluminuim because removing electron from 3p shell and Sulphur because of pair repulsion.
    d) -Element Y is Sulphur. -Large jump in eneries from 6th to 7th ionisation enegies -So 7th electron in inner shell so sulphur must be the element Y.

6. (Calculations)
    a) 0.113m3 (3 sig figs needed)
    b) 1065 Kg or 1.065x106 g
    c) Percentage yield = 49.3%
    d) Method 1 because its 100% atom economy. Only producing one product.
    Cool,I got the same answers :]

ReputationRep:
    For that VDW forces question, I put that, because electrons are not fixated but are rapidly moving, temporary dipoles are formed, there is attraction between delta + and delta -,... then i drew a sketch similar to that found in the aqa as nelson thornes book (under the intermolecular forces chapter).
    (I did not mention 'atoms' 'molecules' im pretty sure i didnt)
    I highly doubt I got any marks. But what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randoms132)
    For that VDW forces question, I put that, because electrons are not fixated but are rapidly moving, temporary dipoles are formed, there is attraction between delta + and delta -,... then i drew a sketch similar to that found in the aqa as nelson thornes book (under the intermolecular forces chapter).
    (I did not mention 'atoms' 'molecules' im pretty sure i didnt)
    I highly doubt I got any marks. But what do you think?
    No that is all right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pluto98)
    Cool,I got the same answers :]
    Cracking question,i just put high temperature is that enough?

ReputationRep:
    Well in method 1 both equations lead to only 1 product so I don't know how that is not 100% atom economy. What poducts are lost? They all go to make 1 product. That's 100%.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

High temp and high pressure?

ReputationRep:
    You work out the theretical yield of mass you get which was about 2210.88g and use that against the afctual yeild to get the percentage yield.

1.09x103 / 2210.88 = 0.493

X 100 = 49.3%
    wow i completely messed that one up, thanks though

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

With regards to the maths questions do u get full marks for puttin the answer in?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.