'Islamphobia' is a nonsense term. Watch

• View Poll Results: nonsense term
    YES
    50.36%
    NO
    49.64%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The gains kinggg)
    Oxford dictionary: Intense dislike or fear of Islam, esp. as a political force; hostility or prejudice towards Muslims.

For secularists and critics of religion the term erects an effective shield for the ideas of Islam. It unites moderate and extremist forces by their common identity by confusing the religion of Islam with its Muslim practitioners, and by categorizing all criticisms as hate-speech

Christopher Hitchens dubbed it: A word invented by fascists, used by cowards to manipulate morons.

So it is a nonsense term?

Sure is can be considered 'nonsense'. However the term used within an academic sphere usually references to an unqualified criticism of Islam. In essence it is a term used instead of ignorance. For example to say Islam is a violent religon is an unqualified term hence it would render the offender and Islamaphobe as there is a scholarly consensus by Orenitaliats and Muslims scholars that this is merely hate speech directed towards Islam in an attempt by unsophisticated populists( like many atheists prophet The Hitch!) to criticise, as it is unqualified criticism. However maybe some use the term due to them being uncomfortable with their religon and have a lack of knowledge about their religion hence whenever anyone crtitisces them are considered Islamaphobes. But this is a minority population. Scholarly crtisism is welcomed and influenced within Muslims households and culture due to the Quran commanding the Muslim to seek knowledge ( You should read knowledge triumphant which is written by a western scholar). An example of this welcome critique is Imam Al Ghazzalis The Inchoerence of the Philosphers, which deals with arguments atheists had been advancing at the time of Imam al Ghazzali such as the eternity of the universe. What is interesting is not on one page does he brand anyone an islamaphobe rather he dialogues academically with the arguments posed to him. 
Thus to conclude: Islamphobia is considered a term used to signify an unfair criticism against Islam, you can consider it synonyms with ignorance. However if used to shield against an academic argument then it is a 'nonsense term', however if you actually bothered I read any books written by Muslims scholars responses to academic crtisism they never use said term to end an argument rather they use it to signify fault within the argument and offer rebuttals, I'd reconnect reading Islam in Focus where this Islamic scholars deal academically with some of the misconceptions about Islam towards the end of the book. 

All the books I mentioned are available as free PDFs online, so you have no excuse to not read them 😜 Plus they are superbly written and incredibly through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaronK)
    Yes.
    I don't see how disagreeing with Islam or realising it's barbaric and backwards ways is a phobia.

His brother sums it up nicely in a video on youtube.
    Check the number of posts you have got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    Ooooooooh so sweet.

I love when people fall back on childishness and projection. I said I was bored, oh no, you better tell me I was the one boring you.

You did it, oh no you did it.

Year 6 are fond memories
    see what a childish mess the extreme right wing become when you face them with reason?

ReputationRep:
    'Chocoholic' is also a nonsense term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sainsburys wraps)
    see what a childish mess the extreme right wing become when you face them with reason?
    I vote centre so no idea what you are talking about.

I guess you are once again presuming something about my general political stance based on my views on a single topic. As per usual with you.

But hey, knowing you, you will come up with another completely unrelated post that somehow, miraculously makes you right.

So go ahead, enjoy your evening.

ReputationRep:
    I vote centre so no idea what you are talking about.

I guess you are once again presuming something about my general political stance based on my views on a single topic. As per usual with you.

But hey, knowing you, you will come up with another completely unrelated post that somehow, miraculously makes you right.

So go ahead, enjoy your evening.
    Be centre all you want but your views on Islam are right wing.

ReputationRep:
    Be centre all you want but your views on Islam are right wing.
    views on religion has no political orientation

ReputationRep:
    views on religion has no political orientation
    This couldn't be more incorrect.

Right wing tends towards nationalism and isolationism - conserving the country's main traditional religion and promoting national pride - which often ties in with the native religion, being skeptical of a foreign religion such of Islam is indeed right wing.

ReputationRep:
    So if you voice the truth on a fantasy it's flagged as a hate post against a group of people...

ReputationRep:
    This couldn't be more incorrect.

Right wing tends towards nationalism and isolationism - conserving the country's main traditional religion and promoting national pride - which often ties in with the native religion, being skeptical of a foreign religion such of Islam is indeed right wing.
    Many right-wingers are atheist. They don't care about "conserving the country's main religion".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Many right-wingers are atheist. They don't care about "conserving the country's main religion".
    It isn't necessarily restricted to preserving the country's main religion, but also actively rejecting other cultures or attempts to connect with the outside world - a rejection of Islam can be covered under this too.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't necessarily restricted to preserving the country's main religion, but also actively rejecting other cultures or attempts to connect with the outside world - a rejection of Islam can be covered under this too.
    nope

ReputationRep:
    It's just a way Muslims can try and shout down criticism of their faith

It's nothing more than a poor attempt at keeping blasphemy relevant when the majority if right minded people have moved on a lot

ReputationRep:
    So is Christianity, but you focus on Islam because its foreign
    And destructive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #JOSH45#)
    And destructive.
    No, you are letting terrorists who have killed 70,000 Muslims since 2004 manipulate your view of Islam. It has extreme tenets, yes, but it is not destructive, people who claim to follow it - but who actually kill others who follow it, make it seem destructive.

ReputationRep:
    nope
    look what people like you degrade to when faced with reason

ReputationRep:
    No, you are letting terrorists who have killed 70,000 Muslims since 2004 manipulate your view of Islam. It has extreme tenets, yes, but it is not destructive, people who claim to follow it - but who actually kill others who follow it, make it seem destructive.
    Not at all. My view is my own, formed through primary sources. I have a few Muslim friends and when they're explaining things to me ... "Extreme tenets" seems somewhat of an understatement. It's not destructive of its own but rather destructive of what goes against it or doesn't align with it.

ReputationRep:
    No, Christianity has evolved. Islam hasn't.
    I don't buy this argument at all. People look at Saudi Arabia and see an oppressive regime.they never look towards the Sufis, the cultural Muslims,the more liberal ones etc...Christianity is very hard line in certain African states and even in certain parts of the USA yet we don't judge all Christians by the few...

ReputationRep:
    It is a well-defined term, hence why it does make sense. If you think Islamophobia is justifiable, it's a different issue, otherwise the term itself is a well defined term that does make sense based on it's definition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #JOSH45#)
    Not at all. My view is my own, formed through primary sources. I have a few Muslim friends and when they're explaining things to me ... "Extreme tenets" seems somewhat of an understatement. It's not destructive of its own but rather destructive of what goes against it or doesn't align with it.
    We have 1.6 billion Muslims on this planet, why haven't they all risen up and killed every single non-believer?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.