The Student Room Group

The EU has spoiled my speakers...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by plstudent
Here you have other speakers that are forced into standby mode:

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/genelec-m030-am-active-two-way-studio/490221-01/

That other speakers work says nothing because we don't know how they are made compared to Creative speakers or if the companies are even paying attention to the regulation.

LOL. You're getting very desperate pulling up links that prove nothing.

Give up mate, if other speakers work, its the manufacturer who is to blame. End of.
I've a set of desktop speakers that are relatively similar to those on my laptop downstairs. They don't turn off and function fine.

I think it's good that the EU has directives for energy usage; ofcourse this extent seems a little bit bogus considering that you're the first person i've seen to have complained about it, but if people wanting brexit are going to go argue over this sort of stuff and put up "Oh we won't be able to use our Gigaworks speakers if we stay in the EU" as an argument, have fun with that.
Of all the reasons to want leave the EU, energy saving speakers? I can't even be bothered....
Nobody in the leave campaign is saying that Europeans should have to get visas to visit the UK. Personally it wouldn't affect me as I don't enjoy traveling anyway.
Erasmus includes countries outside of the EU.
There is a free trade area with or without the EU.

I can give you an example of a country where the speakers work as they are intended to... the USA.

Energy saving is fine but not to the extent where it severely cripples the usability of a product.

The USA also has atrocious consumer rights, terrible product safety, and isn't making the progress that needs to be made to stop climate change. It's really not crippling the usability at all.
Reply 104
Original post by Reformed2010
Of all the reasons to want leave the EU, energy saving speakers? I can't even be bothered....

Clearly you couldn't be bothered to read my post either. The problem is that the speakers are not fit for purpose. The American version is. The EU-sabotaged version is not.
Reply 105
Original post by Callicious
I've a set of desktop speakers that are relatively similar to those on my laptop downstairs. They don't turn off and function fine.

I think it's good that the EU has directives for energy usage; ofcourse this extent seems a little bit bogus considering that you're the first person i've seen to have complained about it, but if people wanting brexit are going to go argue over this sort of stuff and put up "Oh we won't be able to use our Gigaworks speakers if we stay in the EU" as an argument, have fun with that.

Except it is such a common problem that they have created a special support page to describe it (which I linked in the OP). If you had gone through the trouble to look it up online, you would also have noticed it happens to many other European users.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29002581

Even a poster there had a similar complain to mine:

This is EU policy to save energy, switches off the power after 10 mins of non-use. It seems it doesn't matter if you miss important notifications!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 106
Original post by JordanL_
The USA also has atrocious consumer rights, terrible product safety, and isn't making the progress that needs to be made to stop climate change. It's really not crippling the usability at all.

Yeah, missing out on notifications, entire sound files, alarms, application sounds, not to mention having to wait several seconds every time you want to hear sound after a while is not crippling at all!
Except it is such a common problem that they have created a special support page to describe it (which I linked in the OP). If you had gone through the trouble to look it up online, you would also have noticed it happens to many other European users.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29002581

Even a poster there had a similar complain to mine:

This is EU policy to save energy, switches off the power after 10 mins of non-use. It seems it doesn't matter if you miss important notifications!

I don't retract my previous statement. My speakers don't do this, nor do my friends, or my friends friends speakers. It seems like a lot of this revolves around Gigaworks, and that's their problem.

What important notifications your speakers can bring you I don't know, but my speakers certainly don't turn off. My Samsung system turns off after probably an hour or two of sitting around idle, which is understandable from my standpoint. I don't see why people are outraged at perfectly reasonable measures to cutting energy usage. If you've a problem with the speakers, take it up with the company and switch to another brand or get a refund.

Quick Reply