Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want Britain to leave the EU? Explain why? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bob's Your Uncle)
    I would say, I'm patriotic to an extent. I'm a third generation immigrant from India. I live in a working class area, the EU immigrants are not that bad. It is the newer arrivals from the Commonwealth which are the problem. They are illiberal and arrogant, they don't want to integrate, and they don't accept any criticism. People don't want to leave because they are racist to EU immigrants, they are just concerned about their jobs. To be honest, I have a problem with the newer commonwealth arrivals that the EU ones. I do hope that the country stays Christian.
    In regards to the newer commonwealth arrivals, you should realise that first generation immigrants always tend to be more segregated from the community. As you should know yourself, as a third generation Indian give it a generation or two and they will be intergrated in to our society.

Unfortunately racism still does exist, so an immigrant from an Asian or African country will face far more abuse, racism and hardship when trying to integrate in to British culture, thant their Polish counterpart. I believe this does play a part in ostracizing certain communities, and stopping them from intergrating the way they should. With this in mind I feel it is unfair to target them any more than normal. Instead of criticising them for what they havent done, maybe focus on helping them achieve integration. In a world so full of hate, its so easy to sit and complain. I believe actions speak louder than words. You should understand that too, considering your backgroud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireflyGirl96)
    In regards to the newer commonwealth arrivals, you should realise that first generation immigrants always tend to be more segregated from the community. As you should know yourself, as a third generation Indian give it a generation or two and they will be intergrated in to our society.

Unfortunately racism still does exist, so an immigrant from an Asian or African country will face far more abuse, racism and hardship when trying to integrate in to British culture, thant their Polish counterpart. I believe this does play a part in ostracizing certain communities, and stopping them from intergrating the way they should. With this in mind I feel it is unfair to target them any more than normal. Instead of criticising them for what they havent done, maybe focus on helping them achieve integration. In a world so full of hate, its so easy to sit and complain. I believe actions speak louder than words. You should understand that too, considering your backgroud.
    First generation immigrants (from the 60's and 70's) were fare more integrated. They wanted to fit in. My grandparents and my neighbours used to make friendly racist jokes at each other. They were close. Nowadays, people get offended too easily, and they don't want to integrate.

ReputationRep:
    First generation immigrants (from the 60's and 70's) were fare more integrated. They wanted to fit in. My grandparents and my neighbours used to make friendly racist jokes at each other. They were close. Nowadays, people get offended too easily, and they don't want to integrate.
    You could argue that perhaps the people of Britain were far more accepting back then. A lot of the Immigrants were former British Col Military. There was a common ground, something that tied them together. Made them feel part of our country. What do they have now? Media constantly complaining about immigrants 'flooding our country' certainly does not help. And the part the Brit colonies played in the war is long forgotten.

ReputationRep:
    You could argue that perhaps the people of Britain were far more accepting back then. A lot of the Immigrants were former British Col Military. There was a common ground, something that tied them together. Made them feel part of our country. What do they have now? Media constantly complaining about immigrants 'flooding our country' certainly does not help. And the part the Brit colonies played in the war is long forgotten.
    The reason why people don't like immigrants know is shown in the documentary below:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...f-the-east-end

ReputationRep:
    The reason why people don't like immigrants know is shown in the documentary below:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...f-the-east-end
    Propoganda mate.
    The media stirring it as usual.

I am very dissapointed in you too.

'Last White of East End'

I know you are a third generation Indian, but did you turn white too? You do realise that if someone like Nigel Farage implemented the views you both seem to share, you would also become highly discriminated?

ReputationRep:
    Propoganda mate.
    The media stirring it as usual.

I am very dissapointed in you too.

'Last White of East End'

I know you are a third generation Indian, but did you turn white too? You do realise that if someone like Nigel Farage implemented the views you both seem to share, you would also become highly discriminated?
    I'm no UKIP. I'm old Labour. 13% White British in Newham is a disgrace and I sincerely feel sorry for those people who feel like foreigners in their own country

ReputationRep:
    I'm no UKIP. I'm old Labour. 13% White British in Newham is a disgrace and I sincerely feel sorry for those people who feel like foreigners in their own country
    I am all for multiculturism.

Clearly there is an evident problem with intergration. People who come in to our country shouldnt feel the need to stay close together and gather in small places.They should feel free to disband and intergrate in to British communities. I'd say the reasons behind the segregations is somewhat to do with the immigrants themselves, and somewhat to do with our attitude towards newcomers to our country.

The answer to this isn't to make documentaries that will only serve to worsen the issue, but implement new policies that will help intergration from both sides.

ReputationRep:
    I am all for multiculturism.

Clearly there is an evident problem with intergration. People who come in to our country shouldnt feel the need to stay close together and gather in small places.They should feel free to disband and intergrate in to British communities. I'd say the reasons behind the segregations is somewhat to do with the immigrants themselves, and somewhat to do with our attitude towards newcomers to our country.

The answer to this isn't to make documentaries that will only serve to worsen the issue, but implement new policies that will help intergration from both sides.
    But the people in the East End can't do and say anything against what happened, if they do they will get called racist or bigots. Which is unfair. I'm against multiculturalism, I believe if you want to come to the UK, you have to have Western Values, if not you could go somewhere else.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This might be divisive, but it is something I feel passionate about.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I disagree, is it a crime to disagree?
    You do realise that immigrants give back three times more to the economy than the government spend on them right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishaniss)
    You do realise that immigrants give back three times more to the economy than the government spend on them right?
    Yes. But immigration needs to be controlled

ReputationRep:
    I want us to leave, even though it won't happen it will probably be 70/30 win i'm guessing. We need to start controlling our borders more instead of the EU telling us we should be letting in so many per year. It will be hard for around 10 years before we pick up properly but so be it, I see things on the news where immigrants came over and they get a home for FREE, Christmas trees, furniture the lot for FREE. How is this right when there are thousands and thousands of people on the streets with no money etc. no jobs. I don't really have anything against immigrants as long as they are supporting themselves getting a job or whatever. Maybe some of my points are wrong but I don't know everything about our situation. We are verging on 70 million people in the UK now, the NHS is struggling and before long we won' have one, and I think the NHS is one of the most important things we have in this country, no worries about health insurance or bills and with the massive increase of population not just by immigrants but our own people it is not sustainable anymore it has got out of hand. Lets leave for the better in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    I would say, I'm patriotic to an extent. I'm a third generation immigrant from India. I live in a working class area, the EU immigrants are not that bad. It is the newer arrivals from the Commonwealth which are the problem. They are illiberal and arrogant, they don't want to integrate, and they don't accept any criticism. People don't want to leave because they are racist to EU immigrants, they are just concerned about their jobs. To be honest, I have a problem with the newer commonwealth arrivals that the EU ones. I do hope that the country stays Christian.
    100% agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishaniss)
    100% agree with this.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    But the people in the East End can't do and say anything against what happened, if they do they will get called racist or bigots. Which is unfair. I'm against multiculturalism, I believe if you want to come to the UK, you have to have Western Values, if not you could go somewhere else.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This might be divisive, but it is something I feel passionate about.
    I am really angry rn I went on a huge rant and my laptop decided to refresh the page and now I am going to have to start over.

Multiculturism has done many positive things for us. It's brought skills, cuisine, education and many other things to us. It has helped us when we needed it most.

The idea that someone from lets say India cannot enter the country unless he/she comes bearing our values and beliefs is not only ridiculous but also very narrow minded.

Something I find to be proud of about Britain, is that we generally are an open minded, accepting country. Your views are not what I always believed British values to be, then again what British values are is subject.

If you are expecting Mr Singh from India to come here wearing Nike trainers, calling his wife bae and holding a cuppa Yorkshire tea in his hand, you are insane. I wonder though, is that how your relatives came? Is that how you can justify your presence in England with such misguided beliefs.

Furthermore no on was complaining when they were spilling blood for our country. The colonies soldiers did not hold British values. When they returned home they ate the cuisine of their respective countries, believed in the religions of their respect countries, took part in cultural celebrations of their respective countries.

Did you know that after WW2 around 1949 I believe, The British Royal Commisions stated that all

''immigrants of 'good stock' would be welcomed 'without reserve', in to our country to work.' giving priority to ex service men.

Nobody asked if they could cook a good ole British breakfast then.

ReputationRep:
    I am really angry rn I went on a huge rant and my laptop decided to refresh the page and now I am going to have to start over.

Multiculturism has done many positive things for us. It's brought skills, cuisine, education and many other things to us. It has helped us when we needed it most.

The idea that someone from lets say India cannot enter the country unless he/she comes bearing our values and beliefs is not only ridiculous but also very narrow minded.

Something I find to be proud of about Britain, is that we generally are an open minded, accepting country. Your views are not what I always believed British values to be, then again what British values are is subject.

If you are expecting Mr Singh from India to come here wearing Nike trainers, calling his wife bae and holding a cuppa Yorkshire tea in his hand, you are insane. I wonder though, is that how your relatives came? Is that how you can justify your presence in England with such misguided beliefs.

Furthermore no on was complaining when they were spilling blood for our country. The colonies soldiers did not hold British values. When they returned home they ate the cuisine of their respective countries, believed in the religions of their respect countries, took part in cultural celebrations of their respective countries.

Did you know that after WW2 around 1949 I believe, The British Royal Commisions stated that all

''immigrants of 'good stock' would be welcomed 'without reserve', in to our country to work.' giving priority to ex service men.

Nobody asked if they could cook a good ole British breakfast then.
    No. I would like to see Mr Singh in a kilt drinking Irn Bru and living up to 40. Just like the rest of us who live in Bellshill

ReputationRep:
    No. I would like to see Mr Singh in a kilt drinking Irn Bru and living up to 40. Just like the rest of us who live in Bellshill
    I actually laughed at that.

You have high expectations, dude.

ReputationRep:
    I actually laughed at that.

You have high expectations, dude.
    Bellshill is a very rough area. Frankie Boyle even said it would be a good area for euthanasia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herbiechester)
    The Remains camp most ridiculous line is that we are better trying to reform the EU from the inside - have they not noticed that hasnt been working out over the last 10 years? Remember all the economists saying we should stay in were giving similar warnings concerning not joining the Euro - and now how glad they all are that we didnt join - it would have been a disaster.

The EU's economy has been slipping in performance against the US, China for years. Look at Greece, Spain, Portugal, Italy and see how well being in the Euro has fared them, with under 25s unemployment between 20-50% in these countries. If they werent in the Euro they would be able to devalue their currency and help themselves out of the mire - but they are stuck and will be living under austerity for years instead. Its only a matter of time before the EU collapses - best to get out early, face 2-3 years of economic turmoil because of the collapse in confidence - rather that than the **** storm that will be the unwinding of the EU.

And remember the size of our economy - people will still want to sell us stuff - we are a net importer. For example, we spend billions on German cars - I think the likes of Audi, VW, BMW, Mercedes etc will be putting pressure on Merkel to put trade agreements in place very quickly.
    How do you know the Euro would be bad for the UK? Can you tell the future?

Devaluing currency is not a magic solution, China has been doing t for years and its seeing a downturn in its own economy.

ReputationRep:
    Bellshill is a very rough area. Frankie Boyle even said it would be a good area for euthanasia
    Thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to avoid it, If I ever find myself visiting Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to avoid it, If I ever find myself visiting Scotland.
    Don't avoid it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IIHRA6TNsk

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.