The Student Room Group

Official AQA New Spec AS Level Computer Science Thread - 6th of June

Scroll to see replies

Is there an unnoficial mark scheme out yet?
Reply 101
Original post by _KylePatel

I dont think so, its not really a widely known subject so I think only if a load if clever people work on it together then it could be done :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Original post by AmarRPM
Torpedo* xD

*Torpedo... you got it tho XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have the question paper? I'd love to do that last question again - totally ran out of time in the exam.. :/
Original post by brodingoson
Did everyone get the same questions even tho if you were in another language?

Everyone gets the same paper regardless of language.
Original post by GarlicBread01
Guys for the validation change, the question only asked to validate that row was entered correctly (they even had it in bold), will you lose marks for also validating column?

No as long as it doesn't stop the row validation working.
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
I think the words "sorting algorithm" or some kind of explanation ("puts each unique number in ascending order") would have sufficed.

The Finite State Machine "language" question seemed a bit weird to me - I put something like "any number of '1's followed by '0x' or 'x' will be accepted". I was expecting it to only accept five letter words or binary numbers greater than 10 or something - I couldn't find any useful pattern in the FSM.

I think the answers to question 3 (sqrt(x)) were "Acceptable", "Boundary" and "Erroneous" in that order.

Were the logic questions at the very beginning 'B' and 'C'?

The trace wasn't a sorting algorithm. It copied the array so that each number only appeared once. Got rid of the second 12.
You got the same answers as me for the FSM, Q3 and the logic question.
Original post by sagederby
The trace wasn't a sorting algorithm. It copied the array so that each number only appeared once.
Are you sure? The array was "12, 25, 12, 53" and it changed to "12, 25, 53", thus my description of what happened ("each unique number is put in ascending order") was correct for that case. But depending on what the algorithm did in other cases (e.g. would "12, 53, 12, 25" have ended up as "12, 25, 53" or "12, 53, 25"), you might be correct.

I imagine you probably are correct but I don't suppose you have a copy of the original algorithm (or can remember it)?
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
Are you sure? The array was "12, 25, 12, 53" and it changed to "12, 25, 53", thus my description of what happened ("each unique number is put in ascending order") was correct for that case. But depending on what the algorithm did in other cases (e.g. would "12, 53, 12, 25" have ended up as "12, 25, 53" or "12, 53, 25"), you might be correct.

I imagine you probably are correct but I don't suppose you have a copy of the original algorithm (or can remember it)?

If you said it put each unique number into the new array I'm sure that you will get the mark. They will probably just ignore the ascending order bit.
Can someone send me the paper please, as I wasn't able to the last question and few others.
I just want to go at them.
Thanks
How did everyone's centres handle printing? We were told to print before the end of the exam and the invigilator would deliver it to us. Of course, everyone printed seconds before the end (why would you finish early and waste time?). The invigilator couldn't manage to keep up with the printer. She asked us to collect our own work. To put a long story short everyone's work got mixed up, and there was a massive cluster**** and a lot of communication around the printer.

The timing issue was made worse because:
- one room were permitted to complete the front page details on the electronic answer document before the start of the exam, while the other room were not
- upon launching the Python interpreter it automatically began installing something for a minute or so
- my right mouse button was broken
- I was provided with PDFs of the question booklet on the computer, but no PDF reader

I told AQA but they're not interested, not sure whether I should tell my school as I don't want to cause any issues.
Original post by AidanNorton
How did everyone's centres handle printing? We were told to print before the end of the exam and the invigilator would deliver it to us. Of course, everyone printed seconds before the end (why would you finish early and waste time?). The invigilator couldn't manage to keep up with the printer. She asked us to collect our own work. To put a long story short everyone's work got mixed up, and there was a massive cluster**** and a lot of communication around the printer.

- one room were permitted to complete the front page details on the electronic answer document before the start of the exam, while the other room were not
- upon launching the Python interpreter it automatically began installing something for a minute or so
- I was provided with PDFs of the question booklet on the computer, but no PDF reader

I told AQA but they're not interested, not sure whether I should tell my school as I don't want to cause any issues.

We was told as long as your document was sent to the print queue before the exam officially ended it will be fine. Anyone sending the document to the print queue after the official time would not have their paper sent. Also the paper does say all the printing needs to be collected by a print monitor and your invigilator sounded a bit naughty doing that.
Reply 112
Original post by _KylePatel

I've 95% completed the full unofficial mark scheme for you all...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...iMAKYqrQA0/pub
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AidanNorton

How did you speak to AQA? Surely your school won't be happy with that will AQA write to your school if they messed up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending