Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are people so upset about this harambes killing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screwsociety)
    wow yourself.

I pick an animals live over a humans live anyday of the week.

I despise this species.
    But your own family? That's worrying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    Why are people going so mental about this stupid gorrilla being killed. The fact is if it hadn't been killed it would have killed a 4 year old which surprisingly a lot of people seem to be ok with. This reminds me exactly of cecil the lion. I will never understand why westerners seem to think vicious animals are cuddly pets just because someone gave them a name and started a twitter hashtag about them.

First of all millions of animals are killed every day to give you mcdonalds or KFC and none of you seem to care about that. Secondly people who actually live in countries with these animals know how vicious they are so don't care if they are killed. Why people seem to think animal life is equal to human life is beyond me.
    *Harambe looks down from Gorilla Heaven and sighs deeply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mil88)
    Your ignorance on this issue, is somewhat amusing.

That's not the procedure I was referring to, it's more like: distracting the Gorilla and attract him to another part of his habitat, will indeed give a great opportunity for zoo workers to retrieve the boy, simple.

To attempt to make my opinion change simply by making it more personalized is frankly absurd and not to mention, nonsensical.

I don't think you understand, the Gorilla was showing protective behaviour not anger or threatening behaviour. If the latter was the case, then fair enough I agree with them. But frankly, it wasn't and thus I disagree with their course of action.

Try to actually comment on the points raised above, rather than attempting to propose a hypothetical scenario filled with drivel.
    I'm ignorant because I would prefer a gorilla to die than my own child?

Distracting the gorilla is not sure to work. What if he doesn't get distracted and carried on roughing up the kid instead?

I don't care if it was showing protective behaviour, it's a gorilla. In a split of a second, he could've attacked the boy and killed him.

I completely agree with their course of action.

ReputationRep:
    With regards to the argument "all life is valuable".
    Okay, where do you draw the line? If people aren't more valuable than gorillas, then are people more valuable than pigs? Are people more valuable than mice? Are people more valuable than ants? What is the criteria here? For me, the sharpest and most obvious line is humanity / the rest of the animal kingdom. It feels painfully obvious to me how the richness and potential for meaning in a human life completely eclipses that of an animal life. If you disagree, I would be interested to see the "cut-off point". I don't think something being endangered makes that much of a difference either. Would you rather kill 1000 children, or kill the last 1000 of an animal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    What alternative was there once the child was with the gorilla?
    I'm sure a keeper must look after them and have a reasonably close bond with them. Maybe they could have got the boy without shooting the poor animal, maybe not.

It's done now though and the mother has shamelessly shown lack of remorse with her "oh well, accidents happen I'm still a good mother, my sons fine everything good blah blah" without even acknowledging her actions (or lack of) has killed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarkrista112)
    Most serial killers torture animals during their childhood. And no, I'd have to care to murder someone.
    Hitler was also an animal lover. The fact you don't seem to have a problem with a gorilla killing your family speaks volumes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con;[url="tel:65336731")
    65336731[/url]]Hitler was also an animal lover. The fact you don't seem to have a problem with a gorilla killing your family speaks volumes.
    Well if they're stupid enough to enter its enclosure then on their own head be it. But in reality I know they wouldn't, so it's redundant to say.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like how when humans **** up, they're still instantly prioritised still. They didn't even take a gamble with using a traq, they just shot it straight away thanks to a mother's stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    Of course the boy should have been saved. What if that kid goes on to be a doctor and maybe finds a cure for cancer, AIDS, Alzheimer's disease (proves Reimann hypothesis - you mathmeticans know what I'm talking about). Who knows, he may save your life one day, would you think he should have been left to die then?

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you know what happens when an animal get tranquilized. When the animal get hit, it doesn't get knocked out instantly. Imagine a needle being shot into you, it hurts, and the animal runs away. There is nothing more dangerous than a scared, hurt animal. It may have been trying to protect the boy at first, who knows what could have happened if it had been tranquilized. It also doesn't work 100% of the time, sometimes the dart bounces off, and then you would have a problem on your hands. A 400 pound gorilla in pain, not a good situation. Don't you think that of all the people the zookeepers would have known best. I'm sure the last thing they wanted to do was shoot it, but they had to make a decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    No, especially if the stranger is a child..
    Thats fair enough and an undestandable answer. However this question is a pretty common one on the internet and most people choose to save their pet over a random strangers life...

Its a very interesting a divisive question

ReputationRep:
    Parents should be prosecuted. Kid was being a kid and tragically this cost the gorilla its life. Mother has been an absolute **** about it though. Father is a scumbag too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James82)
    I suspect you're in the minority believing that, because it's patently absurd.

Yes, I agree, it was the parents' fault that the incident occurred and they should be sued by the zoo for the loss of their attraction.

But once the boy was in danger what were the zoo keepers supposed to do? Stand there and potentially watch an innocent 4 year old get torn to shreds? I suspect they would have got much more flak if that had happened.
    It's called putting to sleep , not shooting dead :erm: Child should be taken away from parents because who knows maybe next time the boy will fall into some other animal's cage :facepalm:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.