The Student Room Group

Maths with economics at UCL or MORSE at Warwick?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by foozy
Yes, but you keep shying away from the fact that in such a competitive atmosphere, they're not going to dismiss the standard of the uni are they. You treat it as if all EMEA targets are treated the same which isnt the case.

You're so pretentious its unreal.

It's competitive yeah, doesn't change how recruiting is done. Ah, I see, so the MDs, VPs, Associates and Analysts doing recruiting are all lying to me and intake numbers obviously show a clear 'hierarchy' to target unis - how interesting.

Thanks dude, I take pride in my über levels of pretention. (read: I really don't care)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BizzStrut
Got it. And it's good that you've got a plan. But you're also 17 and have no idea. Just saying. You might go do an internship and find it sucks or realise actually you really like consulting.. etc. Pinning your options on your ideas of what you wanna do at 17 with no experience seems facile.

What a patronising way to speak to someone. Some 17 year olds do have solid career plans.
Original post by foozy
Yes, but you keep shying away from the fact that in such a competitive atmosphere, they're not going to dismiss the standard of the uni are they. You treat it as if all EMEA targets are treated the same which isnt the case.

You're so pretentious its unreal.

The only one being pretentious is you.

I went to UCL, UCL is ranked higher, so it's clearly better and I have to tell the whole world about it.

ps for what it's worth, you might actually be right, but even if, it has nothing to do with rankings...
Reply 103
Original post by Princepieman
It's competitive yeah, doesn't change how recruiting is done. Ah, I see, so the MDs, VPs, Associates and Analysts doing recruiting are all lying to me and intake numbers obviously show a clear 'hierarchy' to target unis - how interesting.

Thanks dude, I take pride in my über levels of pretention. (read: I really don't care)

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is the other thing you do. Assume that im talking about here, not abroad. Im talking about abroad. The hierarchy system is very real in America and thats how it is going to be for any UK students too.

Tbh in IBD there's plenty like you (assuming you're like this in real life). Im sure you'd fit in nicely in somewhere like GS.
Reply 104
Original post by inhuman
The only one being pretentious is you.

I went to UCL, UCL is ranked higher, so it's clearly better and I have to tell the whole world about it.

ps for what it's worth, you might actually be right, but even if, it has nothing to do with rankings...

Insecure much? You asked where i went so i dont know what you're on about. And well done for simplifying it down like this.
Original post by foozy
This is the other thing you do. Assume that im talking about here, not abroad. Im talking about abroad. The hierarchy system is very real in America and thats how it is going to be for any UK students too.

Tbh in IBD there's plenty like you (assuming you're like this in real life). Im sure you'd fit in nicely in somewhere like GS.

We've already covered the US issue. Nobody will be applying straight from the get go to the US (unless they are US citizens) as there's 0 incentive for banks to bother recruiting outside of their core schools (which, by the way, aren't all ivies). The people here in the UK will invariably come from the traditional EMEA targets (be that in the UK, Europe, Africa whatever), so when opportunities to transfer overseas arise, they'll be represented amongst whichever team they end up in the states.

Recruiters in the US interface with recruiters elsewhere internally and via conversation and acknowledgement of top performers, hiring managers in the US will be aware of how well people from different EMEA unis faired. They will also have guidance from EMEA about which schools are 'core schools' just as they would only be receiving resume stacks from mostly core schools in the US.

Rankings do not come into this at any given time.

Thanks, appreciate it - GS here I come woo

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by foozy
Insecure much? You asked where i went so i dont know what you're on about. And well done for simplifying it down like this.

And above you attacked someone for going down the "bitchy route".

I went to LSE for my BSc, I think you know yourself that I am not insecure.

I asked because it does in fact explain a lot of the way you are posting on here. For one you admitted that your biggest regret is not applying to Oxbridge/ICL/LSE, and that you went to UCL, both of which explain that you would argue to death that a) UCL is better than Warwick and b) that in international rankings UCL is good.

In fact, you are the one who is insecure, and you are projecting now.

Log off. You went to a great uni. Do something with that. No need for this here.
Original post by foozy
This is the other thing you do. Assume that im talking about here, not abroad. Im talking about abroad.

P.S., I know US financiers too.. We regularly chat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108
We've already covered the US issue. Nobody will be applying straight from the get go to the US (unless they are US citizens) as there's 0 incentive for banks to bother recruiting outside of their core schools (which, by the way, aren't all ivies). The people here in the UK will invariably come from the traditional EMEA targets (be that in the UK, Europe, Africa whatever), so when opportunities to transfer overseas arise, they'll be represented amongst the team there.

Recruiters in the US interface with recruiters elsewhere internally and via conversation and acknowledgement of top performers, hiring managers in the US will be aware of how strong people from different EMEA unis faired. They will also have guidance from EMEA about which schools are 'core schools' just as they would only be receiving resume stacks from mostly core schools in the US.

Rankings do not come into this at any given time.

Thanks, appreciate it - GS here I come woo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yeah i guess as long as they apply here. Im not sure if the proportions are that high but i see where you're coming from. In terms of the EMEA, well since UCL and Warwick are equally targetted then it wont be an issue, but, as i said its a full spectrum. But since UCL is ranked there with the ivy leagues one can only assume it has a better rep. That's all im saying. For the average student this may be negligible but still.

GS are where all the pricks go. I went there once and i can honestly tell you its atmosphere is toxic.
Original post by foozy

GS are where all the pricks go. I went there once and i can honestly tell you its atmosphere is toxic.

This I can fully agree with.
Reply 110
Original post by inhuman
And above you attacked someone for going down the "bitchy route".

I went to LSE for my BSc, I think you know yourself that I am not insecure.

I asked because it does in fact explain a lot of the way you are posting on here. For one you admitted that your biggest regret is not applying to Oxbridge/ICL/LSE, and that you went to UCL, both of which explain that you would argue to death that a) UCL is better than Warwick and b) that in international rankings UCL is good.

In fact, you are the one who is insecure, and you are projecting now.

Log off. You went to a great uni. Do something with that. No need for this here.

What are you on about? I said the argument went down the bitchy route not him. Bloody hell.

you've got issues mate sort yourself out. My regrets were merely that i could have been more ambitious. Im not crying about it at all, just a little disappointed and im man enough to admit that.

UCL is overall better, the discussion here is the importance of rep. It was a constructive discussion and i learned from that other dude you're just trying to provoke me, doesnt seem particularly mature on your part.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 111
P.S., I know US financiers too.. We regularly chat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any international ones?
Original post by inhuman
This I can fully agree with.

Yh lol
Original post by foozy
What are you on about? I said the argument went down the bitchy route not him. Bloody hell.

you've got issues mate sort yourself out. My regrets were merely that i could have been more ambitious. Im not crying about it at all, just a little disappointed and im man enough to admit that.

UCL is overall better, the discussion here is the importance of rep. It was a constructive discussion and i learned from that other dude you're just trying to provoke me, doesnt seem particularly mature on your part.

I am not provoking you at all. I joined the debate because I did not like your "muh rankings" reasoning, and then you progressively turned more childish (while accusing first the other person of that and now me).

I do see that you have now changed your stance slightly, so let's just leave it at that.
Reply 113
Original post by inspiringtop123
Guys, I'm thinking of unis to apply for next year and I was wondering which of these courses I should put as one of my choices. I don't want to risk getting zero offers by applying to too many competitive unis so I want to choose one of these.

I know Warwick's MORSE course is more respected but I've also heard that it's far more difficult than UCL maths, which worries me because although I am quite good at A-Level maths and all right at some of the STEP questions I did, I am not naturally amazing at maths and I'm not one of those super keen guys who gets 100 UMS in every module (maybe C1, fingers crossed) and I am not that good at UKMT Senior Maths Challenges (got a Silver, not a gold) so I'm not a genius.

Btw, i live in London so I would save a lot of money on accomodation if I choose UCL.Also, I want to get into a career in trading, possibly some of the more complex products since that's what seems most interesting. Would doing maths with economics at UCL put me at a disadvantage for getting a trading internship compared to pure maths?

Any help would be appreciated a lot.

Combined courses arent very well organised in UCL tbh and MORSE is a challenging and respected course so id say go for MORSE. However be wary as MORSE is sometimes seen as "the jack of all trades, master of one" and traders have said this to me.

I'd still go for MORSE.
Original post by foozy
Any international ones?

Mostly based in NYC, Boston and SF. Also know some in Singapore and HK. A lot of them went to one of my old international schools. (Although the bulk of people I know are in London).

Original post by foozy
But since UCL is ranked there with the ivy leagues one can only assume it has a better rep. That's all im saying. For the average student this may be negligible but still.

Lol, I'm convinced you're just saying this now to feel nice about choosing UCL. It's not that deep dude, you don't need to compare UCL to an Ivy to feel reassured in your uni choice... The average student at UCL probs would never get into an ivy lmao. Just be happy you got into a good uni fgs.

A lot of my friends are heading there this summer, know a good few folk in IBD there and they're certainly not 'pricks'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115
Original post by inhuman
I am not provoking you at all. I joined the debate because I did not like your "muh rankings" reasoning, and then you progressively turned more childish (while accusing first the other person of that and now me).

I do see that you have now changed your stance slightly, so let's just leave it at that.

Well im not just basing it on rankings but also on perception.

Yh, i've realised what that other guy was saying had sense but im still maintaining my ground. I had to make the same decision myself and was seriously considering Warwick since the student experience is better.
Original post by foozy
Well im not just basing it on rankings but also on perception.

Yh, i've realised what that other guy was saying had sense but im still maintaining my ground. I had to make the same decision myself and was seriously considering Warwick since the student experience is better.

I used to have the same perception. And now I know that was wrong.
Reply 117
Mostly based in NYC, Boston and SF. Also know some in Singapore and HK. A lot of them went to one of my old international schools. (Although the bulk of people I know are in London).

Lol, I'm convinced you're just saying this now to feel nice about choosing UCL. It's not that deep dude, you don't need to compare UCL to an Ivy to feel reassured in your uni choice... The average student at UCL probs would never get into an ivy lmao. Just be happy you got into a good uni fgs.

A lot of my friends are heading there this summer, know a good few folk in IBD there and they're certainly not 'pricks'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) ahh right right okk

2) Im not doing it for that! i had to pick between the two myself and ended up choosing UCL. Once again, in the UK, they're pretty much equal for finance. As i said, Warwick did have more people in IB and probably more in s&t too last year. Even the proximity to london doesnt seem like an advantage and the atmosphere is not quite campusy. That said, i went because of rep.

3)Meh, idk but tbh i think when me and my friends went they werent particularly nice and fitted the stereotype.
OP, both courses and unis are great for your chosen career choice (or other opportunities) - but on the basis that you're not 100% confident in keeping up mathematically I would recommend the UCL course.

Also, I'd recommend applying to both anyway plus the LSE maths and/with econometrics course; as well as two other semi-target unis as a backup (Notts, Bristol, etc.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Give them some years there. That will change.

Quick Reply

Latest