Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    ok ignore me then

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was only on tsr and replied then went straight off sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mechanics 5 notation is so messed up in the textbooks. Isn't the proper notation for torque/moment of a force/couple as \tau and angular momentum is L ? They use L for moment of a force and no notation for angular momentum lol. They need to get their notation straight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No your right. Just use it and it will be fine.
    For Ch 5 just do all the questions tbh practice is the only thing that will make it better.!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Eugghhhhh I have done every single question from every single paper from 2003 onwards in STEP 1 and I am still incredibly unconfident. And what's worse is that I only need a 2. Given that the exam is in 12 days, should I just focus on going through past papers and doing questions that I am strong in? Should I do papers from before 2003? How do I build confidence? What do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacobe)
    Eugghhhhh I have done every single question from every single paper from 2003 onwards in STEP 1 and I am still incredibly unconfident. And what's worse is that I only need a 2. Given that the exam is in 12 days, should I just focus on going through past papers and doing questions that I am strong in? Should I do papers from before 2003? How do I build confidence? What do?
    Do recent step II ppers as they are harder. It won't build confidence it will just give you more preperation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Do recent step II ppers as they are harder. It won't build confidence it will just give you more preperation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you mean STEP 1 or do you mean I should do recent STEP 2 papers to prepare me for STEP 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacobe)
    Do you mean STEP 1 or do you mean I should do recent STEP 2 papers to prepare me for STEP 1?
    The latter

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No your right. Just use it and it will be fine.
    For Ch 5 just do all the questions tbh practice is the only thing that will make it better.!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All right thanks m8. Are you saying that I should do the Chapter 5 review questions? I haven't done most of them so gonna start working through them from today. I just tried doing a past paper, and although Chapter 1-4 questions were easy, I just couldn't do the Chapter 5 questions and they make up like half the paper.

I need to make sure I am confident with Chapter 5 since that material comes up so often in the mech section of STEP III.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All right thanks m8. Are you saying that I should do the Chapter 5 review questions? I haven't done most of them so gonna start working through them from today. I just tried doing a past paper, and although Chapter 1-4 questions were easy, I just couldn't do the Chapter 5 questions and they make up like half the paper.

I need to make sure I am confident with Chapter 5 since that material comes up so often in the mech section of STEP III.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep review are the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Number Nine)
    just did a mock

me
    Me also.

Guys and gals, use spoilers for post 2013, because people are still saving them for mocks.
    Like this:

2014 II:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ye, cool paper. Banta.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    Guys and gals, use spoilers for post 2013, because people are still saving them for mocks.
    Like this:

2014 II:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ye, cool paper. Banta.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Twas a moderately banterous paper but I preferred III 2014.

ReputationRep:
    Woah new thread :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjsnyder)
    Woah new thread :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
    new thread who dis

:bunny:

STEP II 2014, mock:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Question 1. 37 min.
    Question 2. 26 min. I didn't do what they expected in the mark scheme for the counterexamples, I considered f(x) = x. Silly me. But it seemed to have worked nonetheless.
    Question 3. 37 min. A little of a **** up. BTW you don't actually have to integrate for the equation of the circle, you can just eliminate y' between two equations, after you have differentiated.
    Question 4. 28 min. I let k = a, and integrated by parts. It worked, so what the **** do I care.
    Question 5. 19 min. I messed up on the evaluation of the constant of integration right at the end. I also emitted the argument for dy/dx = dY/dX, which was worth two marks. I think the mark scheme has ****ed the final answer over also though.
    Question 7. 22 min. Did a whole graphical analysis for the last part which I don't think they expected, but my answer matches.

If someone wants to mark what I've done, I can send them a link.

(Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Twas a moderately banterous paper but I preferred III 2014.
    Tomorrow, God willing.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I wrote God willing although I'm an atheist, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow, God willing.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I wrote God willing although I'm an atheist, lol.
    Yay
    Spoiler:
    Show
    just after watching a dawkins ted talk it was a pleasant surprise

ReputationRep:
    :bunny:

STEP II 2014, mock:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Question 1. 37 min.
    Question 2. 26 min. I didn't do what they expected in the mark scheme for the counterexamples, I considered f(x) = x. Silly me. But it seemed to have worked nonetheless.
    Question 3. 37 min. A little of a **** up. BTW you don't actually have to integrate for the equation of the circle, you can just eliminate y' between two equations, after you have differentiated.
    Question 4. 28 min. I let k = a, and integrated by parts. It worked, so what the **** do I care.
    Question 5. 19 min. I messed up on the evaluation of the constant of integration right at the end. I also emitted the argument for dy/dx = dY/dX, which was worth two marks. I think the mark scheme has ****ed the final answer over also though.
    Question 7. 22 min. Did a whole graphical analysis for the last part which I don't think they expected, but my answer matches.

If someone wants to mark what I've done, I can send them a link.
    Can you wait until tommorow morning (I'll do it as a mock) so that I send mine to you as well?
    I want to see other candidates' mathematical style and I'll try to check them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesniep)
    Can you wait until tommorow morning (I'll do it as a mock) so that I send mine to you as well?
    I want to see how other candidates' mathematical style and I'll try to check them
    Me too

ReputationRep:
    Yep review are the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What is more productive - working through III 90s papers or practicing complex numbers/vectors/mech questions? I kind of practice mech questions while doing 90s papers since their pure section often contains set theory/matrices/group theory which wouldn't be useful for my STEP prep so for six questions I normally dive into applied. However, working through the 90s papers helps out my exam technique since I do the papers as timed mocks whereas working through the new spec questions I haven't answered would not act as a mock, so progress would be more difficult to monitor.

Since I have decided to leave 2015 for a week before the real exams (next weekend is I/II and in two weeks is III) I am four days ahead of schedule so I have four days during which I can do four timed mocks. After that I will be doing 90s timed mocks on Mon/Wed/Sat and complex numbers/vectors/mech practice questions in between. This means that I can choose to either spend my four days doing one 90s paper every day or 3/4 hours of practice with complex numbers, vectors and mechanics. What do you think is the best route I should take?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gasfxekl)
    Me too
    Are you a Cambridge offer-holder?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.