The Student Room Group

Being a former member of a political party causing trouble in my relationship

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lionel Hutzz
It doesn't bother me they are uneducated and don't understand but it does bother me they are trying to influence her decision and take some sort of moral high ground

They are her parents. They have a right to do so. They find your views objectionable.
I'm 25 and shes 23 which is why it's utterly ridiculous for them to be getting involved

Not really, she's an adult, but they are still her parents. The likleyhood is that you wont last anyway and you are just one bf along the way. With any look it will force your gf to choose you over her parents, especially if the girl has your views and values as well.

Sorry I worked my way through the thread. and responded to all your points. I eally dont think you will ever be accepted by them. Im surprisd you cnat see why they are behaving the way they are.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by scrotgrot
Then this is a left-wing argument, statist fascism versus worker democracy. Left-wing means planned or regulated economy, neither of these things are liberal economics are they?

I regent that totally. It can do but it doesn't have to. It isn't the essence of left wing thought at all and when it is it is a subversion imo. Stalinism, Leninism, Fascism are all right wing sides of the same coin. I'd rather be a prole in a liberal democracy with all it's faults than a prole in a fascist or Stalinist meat grinder of a society.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I regent that totally. It can do but it doesn't have to. It isn't the essence of left wing thought at all and when it is it is a subversion imo. Stalinism, Leninism, Fascism are all right wing sides of the same coin. I'd rather be a prole in a liberal democracy with all it's faults than a prole in a fascist or Stalinist meat grinder of a society.

You call Stalinism, Leninism and fascism right-wing. And you equate worker democratic societies with liberal democracy.

My interpretation there is that you are saying you like libertarianism not authoritarianism - which as you say is entirely sensible. Both can be either right- or left-wing economically.

I'm sure you know the Political Compass whose two dimensions I set store by, even if it was made up by Glenys Kinnock.
Original post by dairychocolate
I'm liberal myself but that doesn't mean I have to support free movement.

I'm a child of immigrants and am pro-immigration but it needs to be controlled and structured in a way that allows us to ensure that those we invite into the country bring skills or resources we desire and that the numbers we invite can be suitably accommodated and catered for, while simultaneously allowing for integration.

That's great but your stance just is not liberal at all, no offence, it sounds just like another right wing opinion.

As I said, I'm not willing to discuss it, all it does is annoy me and there is no point in blabbering on about it. You do you, I frankly don't care, I won't elaborate on it and won't try to change your mind either
Well I obviously don't say that to them haha. I think politics is a bit over their heads they aren't the brightest

Maybe they are smarter than you given them credit if they've decided you're not someone they want their daughter seeing.

Incidentally I am going to go out on a limb and guess that your gf isn't political and looks past it, rather than actually agreeing with you?
What I would say to the OP would be to just try and be as polite and nice to your GF's parents as possible. Most reasonable people ,when confronted with someone behaving well towards them, cannot help but behave the same way back. They may never absolutely love you to bits, but in time might come to tolerate and accept you as the person you are now, not what you were once associated with. Can I give you a piece of advice? [From a 48 year old woman who has made mistakes in the past ,revealed them to people and then paid the price]. In future when you meet any new people, don't tell them about your political background. They may agree with your politics,they may not. But don't risk it.
Original post by rxns_00
That's great but your stance just is not liberal at all, no offence, it sounds just like another right wing opinion.

As I said, I'm not willing to discuss it, all it does is annoy me and there is no point in blabbering on about it. You do you, I frankly don't care, I won't elaborate on it and won't try to change your mind either

Sure.

I do get wound up by people who think being liberal means you have to be in favour of any and all immigration. You can be liberal about a number of things, I just have a centrist stance on immigration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending