Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think uni is value for money? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think uni is/will be value for money?
    Yes
    50.17%
    No
    49.83%

Interesting thread. But I'm curious to know on what people think about mature students going to university, as undergraduates. Is it better because they picked up some work experience and earned some money? Or is it too late?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ColossalAtom)
    Interesting thread. But I'm curious to know on what people think about mature students going to university, as undergraduates. Is it better because they picked up some work experience and earned some money? Or is it too late?
    Maybe have a look at this forum:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=185

Short answer: it's never too late.

ReputationRep:
    It's only worth it depending on your degree imo. Not to sound like a snobby STEM student, but I don't see the point in paying £27,000 for a degree in photography for example when you could invest a third of that into getting your own business going and start making money. Some degrees will also give you higher paying jobs in the long run, but some people might find that those jobs aren't enjoyable to them and so they've effectively wasted their money.

It really depends on what you want to do and where you're willing to go. To me the job market in the UK is pathetic so I plan on getting a job overseas, but for those who want to stay here the debt of university will overshadow whatever they can earn with their degrees so why pay the £9,000/year

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that it is for good universities and for career paths that require you to have a specific degree or set of degrees to get you going (namely Law and Medicine). However, the value of going to some ex-poly to do History of Art is questionable from a financial perspective, as you're effectively only paying that money for the education itself, and not to gain access to a better career that will allow you to start re-paying the debt accumulated during it!

ReputationRep:
    For some careers you need to go to uni theres no other choice not on a position to decide in those cases. If you are all on about making money then uni isnt a place to be at for the majority.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Absolutely.

£0 and 0p to become a doctor? Tesco can't beat that value.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Absolutely.

£0 and 0p to become a doctor? Tesco can't beat that value.
    Enjoy it while it lasts, the SNP won't be able to maintain free tuition indefinitely.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    2,260 votes, exactly 50:50.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 20.40.52.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  32.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    Seems to be quite well split :holmes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.