Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs.Grey)
    Ah, I've created this thread now let's watch the drama unfold *grabs popcorn but puts it back bc fasting*
    Top bants :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny the Geezer)
    Top bants :pierre:
    :hoppy:

ReputationRep:
    Coffee tastes horrible.

Alcohol tastes horrible.

Clubs and clubbing are not fun at all.

Betting and gambling are indicative of low intelligence.

Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat are not as fun or as useful as they're made out to be.

Politicians should not be able or allowed to present biased opinions as fact.

Organized religion should be abolished.

There should be a "obesity tax" or "fat tax" in countries with the highest rates of obesity.

High school subjects and courses should be both more customizable and more difficult.

The wealthy should pay significantly higher tax then they do now.

All countries, starting with the most wealthy, should start paying their citizens basic income, akin to what's being proposed in Switzerland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CorpusLuteum)
    Having no friend is more character enhancing than having fake friends.
    This isn't even an unpopular opinion, it's gospel.

ReputationRep:
    Feminism is women's supremacy rather than equality- in most cases men have it worse.

The death penalty should be brought back.

Our age group is being ****ed over by the government

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodle0)
    Bush did 9/11.
    I am sceptical of this one, but I do agree on some of the other similar theories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs.Grey)
    Ah, I've created this thread now let's watch the drama unfold *grabs popcorn but puts it back bc fasting*
    PRSOM :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    what are liberal values to you, then?
    The usual civil liberties but also meritocracy. Therefore, I don't support positive discrimination or the suppression of extreme views (which may mean my view is unsustainable). It gets slightly difficult when it comes to freedom of religion because I wouldn't support a religion that went around killing black people so unless I create a double standard, I don't see why I should support a Christian bakery's decision not to serve a gay couple. Ideally, religion wouldn't exist so I wouldn't have this problem but that isn't going to happen any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    Tony Blair is one of the greatest post-WW2 British PMs and its a shame that everything he did is overshadowed by one mistake which was his decision to invade Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyingpanda)
    PRSOM :rofl:
    Aww thank you, you're the first to say that to me before <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackf1998)
    Feminism is women's supremacy rather than equality- in most cases men have it worse.

The death penalty should be brought back.

Our age group is being ****ed over by the government
    The last one is hardly an unpopular opinion. In fact, I think you will struggle to find a single person on this forum who disagrees with you.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by UWS)
    Velcros are a rip-off

:getmecoat:
    did you just

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Girls look better in lingerie than naked.

ReputationRep:
    We should be like North Korea with me as the supreme leader.

And Monster Munch should be illegal.

I like Lemon and Scampi Nk Naks. Come at a bro.
    I'm lost for words at how wrong this is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasicMistake)
    The usual civil liberties but also meritocracy. Therefore, I don't support positive discrimination or the suppression of extreme views (which may mean my view is unsustainable). It gets slightly difficult when it comes to freedom of religion because I wouldn't support a religion that went around killing black people so unless I create a double standard, I don't see why I should support a Christian bakery's decision not to serve a gay couple. Ideally, religion wouldn't exist so I wouldn't have this problem but that isn't going to happen any time soon.
    to answer your part in bold, what do you think "freedom of association", "freedom of contract" and "freedom of religion" are all about? whether you agree with those american christians (certain US christians), that isn't important - freedom is for all, not just for those that co-operate with tolerance. if they aren't harming others or taking away their liberty then why should you enforce them to serve another person that they don't consent to serving?

also, surely you must understand that liberalism today is *far* more in favour of positive discrimination than conservatism today? I'm not a conservative (I'm a libertarian) but even I understand this fact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Girls look better in lingerie than naked.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odin's Spear)
    Tony Blair is one of the greatest post-WW2 British PMs and its a shame that everything he did is overshadowed by one mistake which was his decision to invade Iraq.
    Mistake is putting a little lightly, don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryamzahid)
    ellie goulding is a below average singer that just got lucky

Gurl...., Ellie goulding is well fit, well sexy

ReputationRep:
    I like Lemon and Scampi Nk Naks. Come at a bro.
    Ew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    to answer your part in bold, what do you think "freedom of association", "freedom of contract" and "freedom of religion" are all about? whether you agree with those american christians (certain US christians), that isn't important - freedom is for all, not just for those that co-operate with tolerance. if they aren't harming others or taking away their liberty then why should you enforce them to serve another person that they don't consent to serving?

also, surely you must understand that liberalism today is *far* more in favour of positive discrimination than conservatism today? I'm not a conservative (I'm a libertarian) but even I understand this fact
    My point was that if freedom of religion conflicted with other individual liberties, which side am I meant to take? I used a poor example because the ability to buy a cake wherever you want is hardly a human right; if we take the example of churches not allowing gay couples to marry then that is a direct attack on civil liberty which I cannot support even though I generally support freedom of religion and association.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.