Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peppercrunch)
    Uhm... not that difficult, but requires effort.

I just gave up on it to focus on my three other AS subjects, in which I got much better grades in.
    What was your other three subjects and what grades did you end up achieving?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE2016Troop)
    What was your other three subjects and what grades did you end up achieving?
    AABC in Biology, Geography, Chemistry and Maths respectively.

However, I now find the difficulty of chemistry on par with biology and geography as I've never gotten below an A in an A level chemistry mock. I guess dropping maths allowed me to focus much more on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 98matt)
    Maths , further maths, physics & chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can you please tell me what Physics is like??

ReputationRep:
    Thank god I won't be doing this God damn AQA Board...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie Vardy)
    Tinka99 just ignore 1jonam16. He's just jealous that you're capable and is trying to put you off. A B grade is more than enough. A-level Maths is useful in terms of employment opportunities.

Good luck!
    A B grade is obviously not "more than enough". It's more or less the minimum.

People have different ceilings when it comes to subjects like Maths. For people who mostly do STEM subjects, Maths usually is a breeze even at A-level. For me it wasn't, but poor work ethic played a big role in that.

Establish a good work ethic and you should be fine OP. Try and get at least an A but a B isn't too bad because some do even better at A-level. Don't leave it last minute like I did and get an E. I'm resitting this year and C1 and C2 are way easier this time around because I improved my work ethic a lot since then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rampage)
    I just about scraped an A in it and it was difficult but not impossible.

C1 was very easy.
    C2/S1/M1 was okay.
    C3 was a big step up and the harder questions were really challenging for me
    C4 was easier than C3 for me, but only just.
    I think it depends on how good you are at solving problems.
    If you have a natural talent for maths (which is usually evident from GCSE, those who FLEW through GCSE at my school were good at a-level, even though it's massively different), then with a good work ethic you should be fine.
    I'd agree with rampage, except found c3 lots easier than c4. And hated the applied modules full stop.
    Work at it and you can do well essentially. Also depends on what concepts you find challenging (vectors in c4 for me :/ ).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulletzone)
    Thank god I won't be doing this God damn AQA Board...
    What's bad about it?

ReputationRep:
    *cracks knuckles*

I've spent 5 years doing A-Levels. 4 of those trying to do maths. Wasn't getting anywhere when I was doing it, I finally gave up and did something completely different.

You can either do it or you can't (and I'm just a stubborn bstard)

ReputationRep:
    What's bad about it?
    In general I just do not like the way everything is carried out, Look at OCR and stuff like that, they may be more difficult, but my friends and even I have seen from papers they are better.

ReputationRep:
    Thought it was decent , well ive nearly finished my maths A level as i have my last maths exam on Friday! still got exams till 29th June though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearnForYOU)
    A Levels are overrated lmao, unless you went to get into medicine or something across that field science is good if you want to get in to uni.

Universities don't care about your subjects with exceptions of some specific ones, they just care about the GRADES. I'd chose the most easiest A Levels bang out A/A*'s and get in to an amazing university and do the course you love...

Simple. Don't put so much stress on your self, enjoy your summer don't even look at work!

Negative. Im sure Pretty sure Cambridge would favour someone who got 3A*s in Maths, Physics and Economics, rather than someone who got 3 A*s in subjects like English, History and Drama xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeimIX)
    Negative. Im sure Pretty sure Cambridge would favour someone who got 3A*s in Maths, Physics and Economics, rather than someone who got 3 A*s in subjects like English, History and Drama xD
    If you're looking to do a STEM degree obviously universities would be looking for STEM A levels rather than History or English. If you're looking at a degree in History, Geography, Law etc universities are really not gonna give a damn about you not having STEM A levels. Someone with History, English and Drama would stand the same chance of getting into Cambridge for a History degree as would someone maybe with Maths, Physics, and Economics as there is no specific requirement for STEM subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinka99)
    If you're looking to do a STEM degree obviously universities would be looking for STEM A levels rather than History or English. If you're looking at a degree in History, Geography, Law etc universities are really not gonna give a damn about you not having STEM A levels. Someone with History, English and Drama would stand the same chance of getting into Cambridge for a History degree as would someone maybe with Maths, Physics, and Economics as there is no specific requirement for STEM subjects.
    Ah, i see.

ReputationRep:
    Give your opinion whether you have studied it or not
    hard at first, but you do get used to it, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 34908seikj)
    First paper harder than the second, however I should have done better in both. I dropped around 4 marks for misreading questions and silly mistakes, while on paper two I dropped 8 for said reason. I still should get an A* though since I got a minimum of 85 on the first paper and 92 on the second.

All-in-all a fairly nice paper.
    Thats sort of like me lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just be positive. If u want 2 do it go 4 it. Only your opinion matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shc)
    Just be positive. If u want 2 do it go 4 it. Only your opinion matters.
    Already studying it at A2 now haha. Got A at AS and predicted A*

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.