Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Have you decided how you're going to vote yet? watch

• View Poll Results: Have you made up your mind about how to vote yet?
    Yes I'm definite about my vote
    75.29%
    No- I've not decided yet
    5.29%
    I'm not going to vote
    9.41%
    I keep changing my mind
    10.00%

ReputationRep:
    Remain.

Interesting point; your first job is arguably your most important, after you finish education, especially in determining your longer-term career path. One of my many, and yes, in this instance a selfish reason, is that I'd rather not be going into an uncertain, and weaker (vs. status quo) job market.

Surprised more students are not contemplating that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axion)
    Remain.

Interesting point; your first job is arguably your most important, after you finish education, especially in determining your longer-term career path. One of my many, and yes, in this instance a selfish reason, is that I'd rather not be going into an uncertain, and weaker (vs. status quo) job market.

I refuse to vote remain for selfish reasons. But you're entitled to vote how you wish on what ever reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axion)
    Remain.

I'd also like to point out that the recession predicted by economists on the remain side is worth 0.1% of gdp lasting for 3 quarters in total while the FC 07/08 was worth 7% lasting for years.

Students managed then and they will manage after Brexit even better.

And that's only if a recession actually happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    No offence but if you don't have conviction or cannot rationalise your reasons, I don't think it's fair to be voting.
    By all means do as it's your right, but I admit it rubs me the wrong way when people do that..
    "no offence" but I do have reasons behind my decision. I don't think I could ever be 100% as at the end of the day nobody really knows what will happen if we left the EU. It is my right to vote and make my own decisions, a lot of people are a little unsure as it's such a big thing so there is no need to be patronising or tell people it's not fair they vote? That rubs me the wrong way.

ReputationRep:
    If I was 5 months older so could vote, I'd definitely vote Leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    "no offence" but I do have reasons behind my decision. I don't think I could ever be 100% as at the end of the day nobody really knows what will happen if we left the EU. It is my right to vote and make my own decisions, a lot of people are a little unsure as it's such a big thing so there is no need to be patronising or tell people it's not fair they vote? That rubs me the wrong way.
    You have every right to vote; it's just that I've met people that feel they have to vote because they are able to, instead of being more inclined to one side. And my post was to show my issues with that.

I'm sorry I've caused offence.

ReputationRep:
    You have every right to vote; it's just that I've met people that feel they have to vote because they are able to, instead of being more inclined to one side. And my post was to show my issues with that.

I'm sorry I've caused offence.
    I understand that as I know someone who told me after the general election that they wanted to vote but didn't know who for so they did the "Ip dip doo" and that was frustrating - you can't assume though. I want to vote and have my say, I have tried very hard to learn about both sides as I have to admit I was a bit clueless before, it is hard for a lot of the public to know what is the best thing to do but we should be encouraging people to look at the information available and vote, not putting them off.

ReputationRep:
    No offence but if you don't have conviction or cannot rationalise your reasons, I don't think it's fair to be voting.
    By all means do as it's your right, but I admit it rubs me the wrong way when people do that .
    Maybe they're still weighing up both sides of the argument before making a decision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoePFR)
    Fully decided. Not commenting to debate anything though.

Definitely voting in. People assume migration is a problem, but that makes no sense. Britain wouldn't be the country it is today without settlers and migrants. A 2014 study by UCL found that each year they net about £5 billion for the economy. I don't understand this nationalistic, sad aversion to immigrants in general. I also plan on utilising the free travel that WE also get to the rest of Europe.

The UK benefits from trade agreements, a lot of international businesses utilise our country which is profitable for us. There's a reason why all the ACTUALLY prominent and influential politicians are voting in. In my opinion, the leave campaign plays on emotions and blind nationalism. Study after study shows that we financially gain more from being in the EU than we put into it.

You can be proud to be British AND proud to be EU.

As I see it, the decision is a no-brainer.
    ^^This.

100% voting remain.

ReputationRep:
    I'm voting to LEAVE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BanterBus69)
    If you want to be living with your parents until you're 50 - Vote Remain.

If you want to be able to afford to buy your own home - Vote LEAVE.
    I'll be interested in hearing how you worked that out. The government can sort out the housing crisis if it wishes. It does not wish to because it is in the best interests of people who vote (i.e. baby boomers/pensioners/homeowners) to keep the price of houses high so they have a lovely little nest egg. If young people voted then the government would tailor things for them got nothing to do with the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99_Problems)
    I'll be interested in hearing how you worked that out. The government can sort out the housing crisis if it wishes. It does not wish to because it is in the best interests of people who vote (i.e. baby boomers/pensioners/homeowners) to keep the price of houses high so they have a lovely little nest egg. If young people voted then the government would tailor things for them got nothing to do with the EU.
    Do you acknowledge that in order to fix the housing crisis with the current level of immigration you would have needed to start building over 10 years ago to meet the demand today and that unless we have the official figures of immigrants coming in the future that we cannot actually plan for it.

The labour government is actually to blame for this as they didn't do the planning properly in their time in government.

ReputationRep:
    I'm voting leave.

The long-term economic benefit of leaving is enormous if we deregulate and keep our corporate tax <=20%.

ReputationRep:
    I'm very likely to vote leave, but I'm not at all 'certain' :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, my mind has not been changed, I will be voting leave.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm voting out, but I'm not certain yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheKian)
    I think I'm voting out, but I'm not certain yet.
    What issues are you uncertain about?

ReputationRep:
    Will definitely vote to remain.

£350m figure used by Vote Leave isn't at all true, it's £161m once the rebate and public/private sector receipts have been deducted. This makes up roughly 0.5% of GDP, and it's mainstream economic thought that our economy would shrink by considerably more than this if we choose to leave the EU. Whilst immigration is extremely high, it's worth pointing out that non-EU migration is actually higher than EU migration (so leaving the EU won't have the impact on immigration that many expect it will), and it's proven that migrants put more into our economy than they take out. If we vote to leave there will be less jobs available (LSE economists have predicted that investment will fall by 20%) and our NHS will definitely be worse off (austerity will inevitably increase once our economy shrinks).

The only legit reason I see made by those who want to leave is solving the housing crisis. But leaving the EU isn't the only way to do this and it certainly isn't the correct way. Any point made about preserving our culture/jobs being stolen by immigrants are ridiculous and are only made by racists/xenophobes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshC98)

£350m figure used by Vote Leave isn't at all true, it's £161m once the rebate and public/private sector receipts have been deducted. This makes up roughly 0.5% of GDP, and it's mainstream economic thought that our economy would shrink by considerably more than this if we choose to leave the EU. Whilst immigration is extremely high, it's worth pointing out that non-EU migration is actually higher than EU migration (so leaving the EU won't have the impact on immigration that many expect it will), and it's proven that migrants put more into our economy than they take out. If we vote to leave there will be less jobs available (LSE economists have predicted that investment will fall by 20%) and our NHS will definitely be worse off (austerity will inevitably increase once our economy shrinks).

The only legit reason I see made by those who want to leave is solving the housing crisis. But leaving the EU isn't the only way to do this and it certainly isn't the correct way. Any point made about preserving our culture/jobs being stolen by immigrants are ridiculous and are only made by racists/xenophobes.
    Yet they predict a recession after leaving of 0.1% gdp... If you say 0.5% is so small then that recession is miniscule.

Immigration is a huge problem and has nothing to do with race/culture but all to do with planning and infrastructure. Stop painting leavers as racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshC98)

Erm... are you trying to use the weekly figure as a percentage of our annual figure?

And you say the Leave campaign is lying?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.